Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have searched many forums and checked Youtube but cannot find any guidance on installing a Kenwood DNX525DAB radio into a B6 Passat (SE 2007 '57 plate specifically).This my first VW car which I bought in August 2014 and I am really liking it.

The local VW dealership (Northampton) quoted £1130 to supply and fit but I wondered if I could buy the same UK version elsewhere and fit as a plug and play unit? I have a RCD300 mp3 CD/radio currently fitted I believe and hoped it would simply swap straight over without any mods or wire splicing. I simply cannot find any videos or guidance for this particular Head Unit and I hope someone here can give me some advice please? Would a reprogram on the VCDS be required for this head unit, this is based solely on I have read that such a practice is used on VW's for non standard equipment fitted?

If anyone has the Kenwood DNX525DAB can they please advise if they would recommend it? This model was recommended by the VW dealership as it has the built in Satnav, DAB tuner and iPhone Bluetooth connectivity for calls and media streaming features I require.

Thanks in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A quick Google search shows this to be a VW recommened unit with a purchase price of juast under £1000 (not from VW). as it's VW recommended it will be expensive.

There is nothing to stop you fitting any DAB Head unit (single or double DIN - single with adapter) to yoour car you just need the unit, a suitable ariel and an adapter cable to connect to the cars wiring. I have a JVC heasd unit in my B6, it's a single DIN non stanav unit but I don't like built in Satnav. Have a look at In Car DAB Digital Radios > Cheap DAB for cars > dabonwheels to see what is available etc.

1 1 0

3. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    There is a full installation guide on Youtube on how to fit the previous model DNX521DAB into a Golf - very similar I should think but you need to speak German to understand what the guy is saying!

KENWOOD DNX521DAB ARS24.COM BERATUNGSVIDEO - CAR-HIFI EINBAUTUTORIAL - YouTube

1 1 0

4. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I've fitted a few of these units. It's quite straight forward to do as it comes with a wiring adapter so is pretty much plug & play. Nothing needs recoded so VCDS isn't required. Just remember to fit the microphone for the hands free phone function. I always seem to forget about it until I've got the thing screwed into the dash.

Jim.

0 0 0

5. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to you all for your advice, especially Jim.

Jim, did you do any installs into the same year Passat as I have (2007 SE)? If so , please could you advise where you placed the microphone, on the A Pillar? Where did you position the Bluetooth module or is it inside the head unit itself?

Many thanks
    Rich

0 0 0

6. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Yeah Rich, I've done a couple of Passats. The only extra parts to it are the microphone and the GPS aerial. The bluetooth is internal. There's an interface box for the steering wheel controls too but it's attached to the radio wiring loom.
    You can fit the mic at the top of the A pillar trim. Personally, I drop the interior lamp and fit it there but the pillar will work OK. I fit the GPS aerial under the rear shelf. Under the rear shelf trim there is a metal panel that the aerial will stick to, it's magnetic. There are holes in the boot that let you get under the shelf, there's no need to remove the complete shelf. Just make sure you fit the aerial near the rear windscreen so it has a view of the sky...where the satellites live

Jim.

0 0 0

7. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jim

That's very helpful advice and very much appreciated.

Thanks

0 0 0

8. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash2 View Post
    Yeah Rich, I've done a couple of Passats. The only extra parts to it are the microphone and the GPS aerial. The bluetooth is internal. There's an interface box for the steering wheel controls too but it's attached to the radio wiring loom.
    You can fit the mic at the top of the A pillar trim. Personally, I drop the interior lamp and fit it there but the pillar will work OK. I fit the GPS aerial under the rear shelf. Under the rear shelf trim there is a metal panel that the aerial will stick to, it's magnetic. There are holes in the boot that let you get under the shelf, there's no need to remove the complete shelf. Just make sure you fit the aerial near the rear windscreen so it has a view of the sky...where the satellites live

Jim.
    Hi Jim

Just wondered where you install the DAB window aerial on the Passat's, was it in the front windscreen?

Thanks

Rich

0 0 0

9. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

0 0 0

10. Re: Install Kenwood DNX525DAB into Passat B6 (2007 SE) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbov View Post
    Hi Jim

Just wondered where you install the DAB window aerial on the Passat's, was it in the front windscreen?

Thanks

Rich
    Yeah, passenger side windscreen, just like the Golf video that's in the earlier post.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast