User Tag List

Thread: car would not go over 40mph

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    There, fixed it for you.

*** is that all about?

That is how overboost happens on this model of car, if you know different please enlighten us.

p.s I agree it could be a MAF fault

What was the eventual fix for yours Tefs?

0 0 0

2. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is becoming tiresome.

Here's a link to how to diagnose and fix the cause of at least 50% of overboost errors. If you can wade through all the lot of it, you will find links to very detailed info telling you which measuring blocks to record while the problem is active plus what range of values should be there for a healthy engine and how they should vary under load. I don't have the patience to trawl through all 14 pages and educate you. Be very clear, this fault doesn't always throw up a warning light (in fact it seldom does), but it does show the popular overboost codes such as 000564, 00575 and 16618 (according to my very old notes).
    VNT Repair Procedure - TDIClub Forums

I could give you other links to how to investigate the faulty MAF option, which also often throws up neither lights nor even codes. But as I said earlier, MAF is usually the first choice suggestion from those who are stumped and is seldom the underlying cause.

There have been multiple posts on the B6 part of the forum asking for help with the same symptoms, same underlying problem and no lights on the dash. If your car lights up then bully for you, consider yourself one of the special ones.

Clearly, your own "overboost", if that is indeed what it is, is either caused by a different problem, or is managing to trip something a way that pops you a light up, which you choose to ignore. At some future juncture, I'll be overjoyed to read how you diagnosed it, what it was and how you completely eradicated the fault. This, of course, assumes you get around to doing something about it.

In the meantime you appear to be prognosticating on the basis of ignorance and I will choose to ingore your further input. The last word is yours, go on - knock yerself out.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

3. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    This is becoming tiresome.

Here's a link to how to diagnose and fix the cause of at least 50% of overboost errors. If you can wade through all the lot of it, you will find links to very detailed info telling you which measuring blocks to record while the problem is active plus what range of values should be there for a healthy engine and how they should vary under load. I don't have the patience to trawl through all 14 pages and educate you. Be very clear, this fault doesn't always throw up a warning light (in fact it seldom does), but it does show the popular overboost codes such as 000564, 00575 and 16618 (according to my very old notes).
    VNT Repair Procedure - TDIClub Forums

I could give you other links to how to investigate the faulty MAF option, which also often throws up neither lights nor even codes. But as I said earlier, MAF is usually the first choice suggestion from those who are stumped and is seldom the underlying cause.

There have been multiple posts on the B6 part of the forum asking for help with the same symptoms, same underlying problem and no lights on the dash. If your car lights up then bully for you, consider yourself one of the special ones.

Clearly, your own "overboost", if that is indeed what it is, is either caused by a different problem, or is managing to trip something a way that pops you a light up, which you choose to ignore. At some future juncture, I'll be overjoyed to read how you diagnosed it, what it was and how you completely eradicated the fault. This, of course, assumes you get around to doing something about it.

In the meantime you appear to be prognosticating on the basis of ignorance and I will choose to ingore your further input. The last word is yours, go on - knock yerself out.

Ok thx for the reply, I'll tell my mate his £3000 SnapOn Solaris is a load of RUBBISH then shall I and that it tells lies when it reads an overboost code,

And next time it happens in my car I shall tell the car not to be so stupid and that it hasn't overboosted and the limp mode and message is a figment of it's imagination, hell I think I feel the need to go do it now,

I can't figure where your attitude has risen from on this.
    Last edited by DSG4ME; 20-05-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: swearing removed

0 0 0

4. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paynes1 View Post
    Hi all,
    Many thanks for taking the time to answer, I was trying all of the suggestions I could before getting back to you (DSG4ME!).

I checked the carpet, and that did not seem to be the issue. The car has been fine the last couple of days, but I thought I'd play safe and get it checked on the computer whilst the service was being done (serviced early so that car still within after market warranty).

The fault showed up as - P1592 ALTITUDE SENSOR SIGNAL/CHARGE AIR PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT. Car to be booked in next week so that they can investigate further.....They had not seen this code before.

I'll keep you up to date.

Also, the rear passenger window switch on the driver's door console is not working although it is OK on the actual door. Being fixed under warranty when the car is back with them.
    Go to a proper garage. It's a common fault.
    Hopefully boost sensor is faulty. If not all wiring to ecu will need checking. If that doesn't work you may need a new ecu as altitude sensor is part of ecu.

0 0 0

5. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    In general 'over boost and underboost' do not put the MIL light on. That is why they can reset when you cycle ignition. The MIL light will come on though if the ecu considers the boost error to have affected exhaust emissions. This is more likely on 2.0 pd as it has lambda sensing. This is I believe a legal requirement thanks to Californian regulations which the whole world seems to have adopted.

0 0 0

6. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    In general 'over boost and underboost' do not put the MIL light on. That is why they can reset when you cycle ignition. The MIL light will come on though if the ecu considers the boost error to have affected exhaust emissions. This is more likely on 2.0 pd as it has lambda sensing. This is I believe a legal requirement thanks to Californian regulations which the whole world seems to have adopted.
    Mine always puts the coil shaped light on flashing with the garage fault message only after 3 restarts and overboosts in quick succession has the eml stayed on and needed a reader to shut it off again, lets hope the fella gets it sorted.

0 0 0

7. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another update, slightly late as Father just diagnosed with cancer and busy getting that sorted.

Garage changed the sensor, but still getting the intermittent problem of car not getting above 40 mph etc without warnings. Has only happened twice, but obviously not what the garage suspected, so back in again this week to hopefully solve the problem before we go on holiday next month towing the caravan.

Further update to follow.
    2006 2.0L TDi Sport Grey

0 0 0

8. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about the 'cancer'. Not a pleasant experience for anyone or the family.
    P1592 ALTITUDE SENSOR SIGNAL/CHARGE AIR PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT.
    Looks like you have the wiring fault. VW have a fix but it means replacing the loom which is not cheap.

1 0 0

9. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    DSG4ME Guest
    VW have a fix but it means replacing the loom which is not cheap.
    Is anything about this lemon of a car Martin.

0 0 0

10. Re: car would not go over 40mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about the 'cancer'. Not a pleasant experience for anyone or the family.
    P1592 ALTITUDE SENSOR SIGNAL/CHARGE AIR PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT.
    Looks like you have the wiring fault. VW have a fix but it means replacing the loom which is not cheap.
    Martin,

Do you have any details of the loom that might have to be replaced please? Car at garage and I have passed on ideas, so will update when they have had another go.

Thanks

Also just found the following on another helpful site. Is this the same loom?:
    Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
    • Limp Mode active

Possible Causes

• Ground Spots corroded
    • Wiring from/to Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty
    • Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty

Possible Solutions

• Check/Clean Ground Spots
    • Check/Replace Wiring from/to Boost Pressure Sensor (G31)
    • Check/Replace Boost Pressure Sensor (G31)

Special Notes

• When found in 2.0l TDI-PPD, check for matching TSB/TPI (i.e. VW TPI 2012601).
      • Check/Clean Ground Spots
      • Check/Replace Wiring Harness for Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) and Intakt Air Temperature Sensor (G42)
      • Check/Update Engine Control Module Software/Firmware

2006 2.0L TDi Sport Grey

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast