1. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Post 56 writes"It was 0.2v (from memory whilst the car locked up and everything shut off."

0 0 0

2. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    The renault was a camper coversion i've been working on (no throttle body, just old school diesel lump) and checking voltages to see the volt sensitive relay operating to charge the leisure battery, thats a side story though. The throttle body i had trouble with was on a 54 plate 1.9 touran pdtdi. IIRC Some of The 2 litre pd engines have the same flap / anti shudder valve upstream of the egr. I dont know if your engine has the electric or vacuum egr, if it has the n18 solenoid i suspect it is vacuum. I found the motor and gear mechanism in the throttle body had failed and was operating erratically even with the key out of ignition, it eventually failed closed and stalled the engine. It never threw a fault code of its own, just egr related code. I ve since had to replace another one of these on another 1.9, they seem to fail fairly regular, mine were at areound 100k and 70k.

0 0 0

3. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorman63 View Post
    Post 56 writes"It was 0.2v (from memory whilst the car locked up and everything shut off."
    Yes - exactly. Am I missing something here?

0 0 0

4. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    The renault was a camper coversion i've been working on (no throttle body, just old school diesel lump) and checking voltages to see the volt sensitive relay operating to charge the leisure battery, thats a side story though. The throttle body i had trouble with was on a 54 plate 1.9 touran pdtdi. IIRC Some of The 2 litre pd engines have the same flap / anti shudder valve upstream of the egr. I dont know if your engine has the electric or vacuum egr, if it has the n18 solenoid i suspect it is vacuum. I found the motor and gear mechanism in the throttle body had failed and was operating erratically even with the key out of ignition, it eventually failed closed and stalled the engine. It never threw a fault code of its own, just egr related code. I ve since had to replace another one of these on another 1.9, they seem to fail fairly regular, mine were at areound 100k and 70k.
    Thanks Rob

This is the throttle body for my car - I am assuming it is electric rather than vacuum as it has a plug on it?

NEW GENUINE VDO A2C59511698 THROTTLE BODY WHOLESALE PRICE SALE | eBay

This is the EGR...

VDO 408-275-002-001Z EGR EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE AUDI SALE | eBay

Although there is no power in the car, it never stalls and dies (It only stalled and died last night as I tried to start her just to see what happens as she's sitting on the driveway with the old factory fit battery that was already kaput and has been sitting in the garage for the last six months doing absolutely nothing - the battery will be even more dead then it was when I took it out because it was dead!). It just doesn't drive properly and limps along in a sort of permanent and severe limp home mode. It won't rev past 3,000 RPM, and won't drive faster than 50mph in 4th. 5th and 6th are pretty much redundant at the moment, as the revs are too low to make them practical to use.

Also, when in low revs and from pullaway, she is smoking like nothing else. Huge plumes of grey smoke bilging out of the exhausts when you pull away, or if you try to accelerate from less than 2,000 RPM. Particularly if you're trying to get up a hill (before she lost all power and won't get up a hill at all now!), if you dropped to second to accelerate up a relatively steep hill at say 20mph, she'd pour out smoke for a good 10-15 seconds before you'd managed to get upto about 2,500 revs and beyond. Your natural instinct is to change up, and if you do, she'll have no guts and start decelerating again, so you'd have to drop back to 2nd again - and then more grey smoke. It's so bad I can see cars backing off behind me and flashing me etc.

0 0 0

5. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsdavis View Post
    Yes - exactly. Am I missing something here?

V is volts. A is amps.

0 0 0

6. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Ok - I see what you're saying now.

All I was saying is that there was a small draw when the car was off - which mechanic thought was in line with what he'd expect when the car was off and shut down.

0 0 0

7. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi

Thanks for you response rjsdavis

I have no idea what my mechanic used to and all he gave me was a list of codes. I may not have listed these accurately so just in case this is what he gave me:

Codes

Static (Quiescent) Current Stage 2-3-4-6-7

I have tried forcing the shutdown but it seems none of the buttons on the centre console are working.

I have even tried loading the CD and can use the buttons on the steering wheel to move to the last track on the disc before this one, so it loads the next disc but it isn't picking this disc up and just jumps a disc.

0 0 0

8. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joss73 View Post
    Hi

Thanks for you response rjsdavis

I have no idea what my mechanic used to and all he gave me was a list of codes. I may not have listed these accurately so just in case this is what he gave me:

Codes

Static (Quiescent) Current Stage 2-3-4-6-7

I have tried forcing the shutdown but it seems none of the buttons on the centre console are working.

I have even tried loading the CD and can use the buttons on the steering wheel to move to the last track on the disc before this one, so it loads the next disc but it isn't picking this disc up and just jumps a disc.
    Not sure what those codes are, have you tried googling them?the stages are usually low battery /power, you may be better off going to the vcds map on here and requesting someones help who has vcds they will do so for beer money, your dash problems may be due to the control module in the dash being damaged? Have you been checking your scuttle panel? They fill with water if blocked and water can run behind the dash drivers side and damage the control module or passenger side it often damages other control modules in the passenger footwell

0 0 0

9. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsdavis View Post
    Thanks Rob

This is the throttle body for my car - I am assuming it is electric rather than vacuum as it has a plug on it?

NEW GENUINE VDO A2C59511698 THROTTLE BODY WHOLESALE PRICE SALE | eBay

This is the EGR...

VDO 408-275-002-001Z EGR EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE AUDI SALE | eBay

Although there is no power in the car, it never stalls and dies (It only stalled and died last night as I tried to start her just to see what happens as she's sitting on the driveway with the old factory fit battery that was already kaput and has been sitting in the garage for the last six months doing absolutely nothing - the battery will be even more dead then it was when I took it out because it was dead!). It just doesn't drive properly and limps along in a sort of permanent and severe limp home mode. It won't rev past 3,000 RPM, and won't drive faster than 50mph in 4th. 5th and 6th are pretty much redundant at the moment, as the revs are too low to make them practical to use.

Also, when in low revs and from pullaway, she is smoking like nothing else. Huge plumes of grey smoke bilging out of the exhausts when you pull away, or if you try to accelerate from less than 2,000 RPM. Particularly if you're trying to get up a hill (before she lost all power and won't get up a hill at all now!), if you dropped to second to accelerate up a relatively steep hill at say 20mph, she'd pour out smoke for a good 10-15 seconds before you'd managed to get upto about 2,500 revs and beyond. Your natural instinct is to change up, and if you do, she'll have no guts and start decelerating again, so you'd have to drop back to 2nd again - and then more grey smoke. It's so bad I can see cars backing off behind me and flashing me etc.
    Your report shows a mass air flow sensor fault if i remember right? Did you clean that (they often just need cleaning) unlikely to have anything to do with your power drain but can cause loss of power etc

0 0 0

10. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    From a quick Google search - those codes relate to the Quiescent errors. In a nutshell, as far as I'm aware, Quiescent error codes relate to voltage irregularities. Basically, your battery appears to be flat or close to flat.

That means, either the battery is on the way out, or something else is wreaking havoc with your system (like mine). However, that said, it's starting to look like my 6 month old battery was in fact faulty. Have you had the battery tested? I'd take to as many chain garages as possible to get several tests done (you might find you ger varying results like I did) - people like Kwik Fit, Mr Clutch and Halfords all do free battery tests. That's where you need to start.

You can also read more on this thread:

Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent

Have you rebooted your MMI system? Even if the buttons on the centre console appear to be working, the reboot button sequence, done several times if need be (with a full battery), tends to make it reboot in the end. However, if your battery is low - it will affect lots of different systems in the car, including MMI.

0 0 0

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast