Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsdavis View Post
    I have indeed - this forum was the only place on the net that I can find, that comes anywhere close to similar electrical problems.

I can't the same problem on an A6, anywhere else. :-(
    I came across some old threads on here when I googled they were from around 2012 and were for the a6. Pistonheads came back with some results too but not sure if they were for the a6 didn't have time to read through them but will go through them for you when I have some free time hopefully we will get our cars sorted at somepoint, audi's are great cars unfortunately they seem to come with some problems here or there (newish cars apparently no exception from what I've come across)

0 0 0

2. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I have indeed - this forum was the only place on the net that I can find, that comes anywhere close to similar electrical problems.

I can't the same problem on an A6, anywhere else. :-(
    Have you tried the tests available in VCDS I.e output tests, optical bus diagnostics (I'm not good with all this electrical stuff but test functions was just a thought)
    I've tried to do my battery coding tonight........ How did you get on with yours? I did what I was told to do in the ross tech wiki and after clicking on do it I got this message come up: re-code invalid this appears to be a uninitiated control module.
    Do you have any ideas on what that's about or what I'm doing wrong?

0 0 0

3. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nard666 View Post
    Have you tried the tests available in VCDS I.e output tests, optical bus diagnostics (I'm not good with all this electrical stuff but test functions was just a thought)
    I've tried to do my battery coding tonight........ How did you get on with yours? I did what I was told to do in the ross tech wiki and after clicking on do it I got this message come up: re-code invalid this appears to be a uninitiated control module.
    Do you have any ideas on what that's about or what I'm doing wrong?
    I haven't tried those tests within VCDS, as to be honest, whilst I computer super-user, I'm still a novice with VCDS! I don't particularly know what I'm looking for, or looking at to know whether the data is right or wrong! I'm sure it might well be in there though, and you're probably on the right lines.

With respect to the battery coding, I couldn't do it either. VCDS is so limited in terms of battery manufacturer's that you can choose from; Excell and some others, I wasn't able to input the data at all from the battery I got from TPS, as Yuasa isn't a manufacturer option - which is strange given that Yuasa is now the preferred/recommended battery supplier to the VAG/TPS group! In the end, all I could think to do was leave the original Audi OEM battery data in situ, and change the code data with one digit to hopefully "notify" the car's system that a new battery had been installed. Couldn't find a better solution or alternative option online from looking either....

0 0 0

4. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I haven't tried those tests within VCDS, as to be honest, whilst I computer super-user, I'm still a novice with VCDS! I don't particularly know what I'm looking for, or looking at to know whether the data is right or wrong! I'm sure it might well be in there though, and you're probably on the right lines.

With respect to the battery coding, I couldn't do it either. VCDS is so limited in terms of battery manufacturer's that you can choose from; Excell and some others, I wasn't able to input the data at all from the battery I got from TPS, as Yuasa isn't a manufacturer option - which is strange given that Yuasa is now the preferred/recommended battery supplier to the VAG/TPS group! In the end, all I could think to do was leave the original Audi OEM battery data in situ, and change the code data with one digit to hopefully "notify" the car's system that a new battery had been installed. Couldn't find a better solution or alternative option online from looking either....
    I know what you mean, I'm not good with computers and am also a novice with VCDS, there is a downloadable user manual which explains the tests , I stumbled across it accidentally but I'm sure if you Google ross-tech VCDS user manual it would come up on the search, hope this helps. Yeah I've watched my hazard warning triangle fade and go off I've not timed it but it doesn't take long.
    Yes that's what I want to do just change the last digit on the serial number, my battery is a bosch which is made by varta which is the manufacturer used on our cars originally but I don't have a bem sticker so can only change the last digit like that but when I tried I got the message saying recode invalid control module uninitiated though I had followed what ross-tech had done in the video

0 0 0

5. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    but I don't have a bem sticker
    I had the exact same issue - hence simply changing a single digit on the existing code that was already present in the system. It updated without any issue, but I'm completely unaware if it actually made any difference at all!

0 0 0

6. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I had the exact same issue - hence simply changing a single digit on the existing code that was already present in the system. It updated without any issue, but I'm completely unaware if it actually made any difference at all!
    Yeah that's what I intended to do but it wouldn't let me, got the message re-code invalid this module appears to uninitiated instead though I think I've now sussed that one from scouting about online it appears that either the module is new or it hasn't had a battery adapted to it previously after the original battery was put into the car, what you then do is input a code of something like 12345 as the workshop code (must be done on the control module screen, can be done in vcds under options but it would only let you do it once and it stays that way so you wouldn't be able to run vcds in stealth mode, do it on the module screen and you are still running in stealth mode) then it will let me do it.
    Did you look for the vcds users manual? It's quite informative.... To a certain degree

0 0 0

7. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Did you look for the vcds users manual? It's quite informative.... To a certain degree
    Yes, I've downloaded it, but not yet had time to actually read it... !

0 0 0

8. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Up until Friday, everything within the MMI system was working fine. On the very odd occasion, the lights within the MMI control panel in the centre console would not light up when the car was started, but re-starting the engine would always solve this. It would happen probably 2-3 times per year.

Last Friday, it happened again, and an engine restart fixed this and caused the control panel lights to come on. However, this time, whilst driving the car and during the journey, the lights in the control panel just went out, but this time, it caused the screen in the dashboard to turn off as well. Curiously, my phone was still connected to the system via Bluetooth, and it continued to stream and play music even though the MMI panel and screen were off, however, the volume was fixed and neither the volume button on the MMI control panel, or the steering wheel could alter the music volume. It appeared to me that the MMI control panel had just died there and then. Nothing had been changed, no MMI updates, nothing had been spilled on it, and there's no water ingress in the MMI stack in the boot - it's as dry as a bone in there. It just died.

During the rest of the day, engine restarts failed to make any difference, and the MMI control panel and screen has remained off ever since. I’ve done a full VCDS scan of the car, and the only faults showing are all MMI related, in that it simply says:

07-Control Head -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    0E-Media Player 1 -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    37-Navigation -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    47-Sound System -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    56-Radio -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100

Worse, the car wasn't used again until the Sunday morning. Come Sunday morning, the car battery was as flat as a pancake and would not turn over or even unlock from the key remote. It's clear that the system remained on for about 36 hours and completely drained the battery flat. It was charged all day Sunday, and the car started and runs fine and has done ever since. As a precaution, as the MMI system was down, I disconnected the large cable connector from the amp in the boot at the top of the stack, and the car system now shuts down in just a few minutes, and there is now no battery drain (you'll see above, that I have had drain issues for months!). The one positive to come out of this, is that the part-battery drain I've been trying to diagnose for months, is definitely, and without doubt caused from within the MMI system. I now never have any battery warnings on the dash when I go to start the car, the spotlights and rear lights always now come on when you unlock the car in the evenings even if she's been sitting around for a day or two (this didn't happen if the car had been left for a while, as the battery was part-draining, as it was taking the best part of 2-2.5 hours to shut down).

All other systems are ok. I've become aware from research in the RossTech forums, that the MMI system optical bus is a big loop, with the CAN gateway as the starting point, going onto the control head, and then onto the individual MMI components finishing with the radio tuner and then coming back to the CAN gateway again. Given that the CAN gateway is reporting ok in the VCDS scan, does this automatically point to the Control Head as the culprit that is stopping the loop from going any further, as it is first in the "faulty" list and has taken out every other module in the loop that follows it? My gut feeling is that the control panel in the dash is the faulty unit anyway given what happened, and because it's actually faulty, then remained an open or live circuit after the car was shut down last Friday, causing the battery to drain - this all appears to be logical to me.

Therefore, my question is; is the MMI control panel in the centre panel of the car, also the “Control Head” as reported by VCDS?

Assuming that this is yes - I'll get onto getting a replacement control panel / control head asap. I'm watching one on eBay at the moment, and a quick question about compatibility... My car is a 2007 A6. On the control panel, the button below RADIO is MEDIA on mine. The one I'm watching has TV / CD on the button instead of MEDIA.

I don't mind this, but would it be reasonable to expect any compatibility issues between the two?

0 0 0

9. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Up until Friday, everything within the MMI system was working fine. On the very odd occasion, the lights within the MMI control panel in the centre console would not light up when the car was started, but re-starting the engine would always solve this. It would happen probably 2-3 times per year.

Last Friday, it happened again, and an engine restart fixed this and caused the control panel lights to come on. However, this time, whilst driving the car and during the journey, the lights in the control panel just went out, but this time, it caused the screen in the dashboard to turn off as well. Curiously, my phone was still connected to the system via Bluetooth, and it continued to stream and play music even though the MMI panel and screen were off, however, the volume was fixed and neither the volume button on the MMI control panel, or the steering wheel could alter the music volume. It appeared to me that the MMI control panel had just died there and then. Nothing had been changed, no MMI updates, nothing had been spilled on it, and there's no water ingress in the MMI stack in the boot - it's as dry as a bone in there. It just died.

During the rest of the day, engine restarts failed to make any difference, and the MMI control panel and screen has remained off ever since. I’ve done a full VCDS scan of the car, and the only faults showing are all MMI related, in that it simply says:

07-Control Head -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    0E-Media Player 1 -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    37-Navigation -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    47-Sound System -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    56-Radio -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100

Worse, the car wasn't used again until the Sunday morning. Come Sunday morning, the car battery was as flat as a pancake and would not turn over or even unlock from the key remote. It's clear that the system remained on for about 36 hours and completely drained the battery flat. It was charged all day Sunday, and the car started and runs fine and has done ever since. As a precaution, as the MMI system was down, I disconnected the large cable connector from the amp in the boot at the top of the stack, and the car system now shuts down in just a few minutes, and there is now no battery drain (you'll see above, that I have had drain issues for months!). The one positive to come out of this, is that the part-battery drain I've been trying to diagnose for months, is definitely, and without doubt caused from within the MMI system. I now never have any battery warnings on the dash when I go to start the car, the spotlights and rear lights always now come on when you unlock the car in the evenings even if she's been sitting around for a day or two (this didn't happen if the car had been left for a while, as the battery was part-draining, as it was taking the best part of 2-2.5 hours to shut down).

All other systems are ok. I've become aware from research in the RossTech forums, that the MMI system optical bus is a big loop, with the CAN gateway as the starting point, going onto the control head, and then onto the individual MMI components finishing with the radio tuner and then coming back to the CAN gateway again. Given that the CAN gateway is reporting ok in the VCDS scan, does this automatically point to the Control Head as the culprit that is stopping the loop from going any further, as it is first in the "faulty" list and has taken out every other module in the loop that follows it? My gut feeling is that the control panel in the dash is the faulty unit anyway given what happened, and because it's actually faulty, then remained an open or live circuit after the car was shut down last Friday, causing the battery to drain - this all appears to be logical to me.

Therefore, my question is; is the MMI control panel in the centre panel of the car, also the “Control Head” as reported by VCDS?

Assuming that this is yes - I'll get onto getting a replacement control panel / control head asap. I'm watching one on eBay at the moment, and a quick question about compatibility... My car is a 2007 A6. On the control panel, the button below RADIO is MEDIA on mine. The one I'm watching has TV / CD on the button instead of MEDIA.

I don't mind this, but would it be reasonable to expect any compatibility issues between the two?
    So, I managed to get hold of a replacement MMI control panel a few weeks after the system died, and finally found both the time, and some reasonably not effing freezing cold weather today, to spend the several hours that I needed to pull the centre console out to get to the MMI control panel to plug the new one in.

Gutted to report, that plugging the new MMI control panel into the system made no difference whatsoever, and the entire MMI system is still completely dead!

VCDS still reports all of the systems as being "CANNOT BE REACHED", therefore, I am assuming that there is another central "brain" to the system tucked away somewhere that has likely died, and is preventing VCDS from communicating with all parts of the system?

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need to get access to, and replace to get the MMI up and running again?

Many thanks indeed for any responses.

0 0 0

10. Re: Quiescent current stage 1 & 2 intermittent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    So, I managed to get hold of a replacement MMI control panel a few weeks after the system died, and finally found both the time, and some reasonably not effing freezing cold weather today, to spend the several hours that I needed to pull the centre console out to get to the MMI control panel to plug the new one in.

Gutted to report, that plugging the new MMI control panel into the system made no difference whatsoever, and the entire MMI system is still completely dead!

VCDS still reports all of the systems as being "CANNOT BE REACHED", therefore, I am assuming that there is another central "brain" to the system tucked away somewhere that has likely died, and is preventing VCDS from communicating with all parts of the system?

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need to get access to, and replace to get the MMI up and running again?

Many thanks indeed for any responses.
    RESOLVED!

Ok, so it was the Control Head all along. GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

In the end, it was the Control Head, that finally failed as a unit, taking the whole MMI system out with it. It is now clear, now that I understand the system a little better, that the previous MMI related gremlins, were actually early indicators that the Control Head was a failing unit - leading upto the failure. These early indicators were:

1 - Loss of sound - only resolvable by an MMI system reset.
    2 - Loss of MMI screen - only resolvable by an MMI system reset.
    3 - Sometimes the MMI control panel lights didn't come on - only resolvable by a full engine restart
    4 - Causing the car to take an awfully long time to shut-down, sometimes never shutting down, leading to a massive power drain from the battery - signs of the system not going off were the hazard light indicator on the main dash never going off, or taking a very long time to go off - which indicates when the car has actually shut down and stopped drawing power.

I sourced a replacement Control Head from a breaker on eBay (£25), which I couldn't order until I had removed my one, to make sure I had an exact parts number match - there are variances.

I was able to fit the CH myself, but it was immediately clear from a VCDS scan, that Component Protection was active (which to be fair I was expecting). After a lot of searching around, with prices mostly ranging from £100-150 to remove CP, I found CT Cars in Surrey, who charged me the very fair price of £40 to do it - while I waited, with coffee - on an appointment basis. They were brilliant, very fair and went about their business without any fuss or problem. Big shout out to those guys!

This was actually completed about two months ago now, but I've been running the car to make sure all was well before I shared it. I've had zero problems with it. The MMI has given me no jip whatsoever, so the CP removal was permanent. I've had no further power drain issues at all - and the CH is the only part that has been changed in the car's entire system. I now have a completely clear VCDS scan, which is totally awesome as I haven't had one of those in a long old time!

Many thanks for all of the posts and replies that have helped me to slowly work out what was wrong with my car. Even the electrical specialists in Sandwich weren't even able to close to diagnosing it - and simply wanted to replace individual components until they eventually found the culprit.

0 0 0

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast