Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Question Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

After having a good look around t'internet I've decided that the forums here seem to be the most active, and have the friendliest members of all the Audi forums I've looked at. So I've joined :-)

My fiance and I have had a bit of a change of plans after today seeing a lovely 09 plate Audi A6 S-Line 170 TDi. Our original plan was to buy a cheaper car for a couple of years and THEN get our dream Audi but after a bit of a chat we think we're going to go ahead and buy one tomorrow. But I do have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered before I decide to go ahead with the deal, and if not before, then I hope you can help me out once I've bought that car :-)

First off, the car is this one here, and from what I can gather so far is an ex-lease car (hence the high mileage). I've been assured that 68k on an A6 is "nothing" and that "even at 100k they're only just run in". Is this true?

What kind of things should I check on the car?

Apart from service history etc is there anything that I should be asking has been done specifically? (I'm a geek rather than a gear head so all help is appreciated) Timing belt?

I'm sure I read somewhere this evening about a recall from Audi to do with this particular engine, I'll ask about that while I'm there.

Unfortunately, at the moment my left arm is in a sling following an operation, so the salesman will be taking us out for a drive in the car tomorrow. What kind of things should I be listening out for? Any known problems that can be heard on a test drive?

I think the S-Line came as standard with the DVD Nav-High MMI, it definitely has a CD changer in the glove box but I didn't check the boot for the DVD Nav drive.

It appears to have bluetooth as there are buttons for phone setup and when I pressed it the car seemed to be searching for a phone, will my Galaxy S3 connect to the car ok and use the bluetooth connection for calls?

I listen to music mainly on an iPod classic, is there an auxiliary input on the car? Or better yet, any way to connect the iPod so that the steering wheel controls etc work with it?

In the centre armrest there is what I can best describe as a connector of sorts, it actually just looks like a rectangle of round metallic contacts. What is this for? Is it anything to do with a mobile phone? If so, do I need to buy anything extra to be able to use it?

Any help or advice you can give me will be GREATLY appreciated, although I've bought numerous cars in the past, this will be the most I've ever spent on a "used" car, but I've been convinced that it's worth it for an Audi (and I tend to agree), but I still have jitters lol.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this post, and thank you in advance for any replies that I get.

I'm looking forward to spending many a day/night on these forums, poring over them to get as much information as I can until I can finally drive this beautiful A6 (sling comes off in 4 weeks, I'm hoping my physio gives me permission to drive then).

Take care everyone,

Best regards

Alistair

0 0 0

2. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The 2009 model has the newer CR engine, so you should be safe from any of the problems seen in the earlier A6 C6 models with PD engines. I think there was a recall on injectors on some of the 170bhp engines, but a quick call to Audi Customer Service telephone number with the reg number will tell you whether your particular engine code is subject to the recall.

There really aren't any major concerns with a 2009 model.

I have Audi bluetooth (albeit retrofitted) and it works seemlessly with my Galaxy S3. You can add Audi AMI to give you ipod connectivity.

The only things I would be concerned about is whether there is a judder when changing gears (particularly at clutch biting point as it's a sign of dmf failure - common problem to most cars though, not just Audi) or a clattering sound on starting. Sorry, can't remember if this clattering sound is most prevalent when hot or cold.

DPF is another thing that can be an issue, but if the car was a lease car, it should have hopefully done a fair few miles on motorways etc, which would avoid problems with the dpf, which doesn't like urban driving & gets clogged/blocked.

I think Audi suggest 114, 000 miles between cambelt changes on this model, so in that respect you're safe, but at 4 yrs old, you're going to want to change it sooner rather than later if it's not already been done. Maybe something you want to get the garage to do if you buy it or knock off the screen price.

Overall, I'd say it's a safe bet & if I were you, I wouldn't have any concerns buying it, especially if it's got a FSH with it being an ex lease car.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

1 1 0

3. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you SO much for your reply Brycie, especially at this time of night. I was starting to have second thoughts about the car after reading about some of the problems in these forums but you've put my mind well to rest. I did start the car up today and didn't notice a hint of a clatter. I've just read through the specs again and noticed that it says

Bluetooth phone prep - Low
    DVD Satellite Navigation with CD changer - Low

Is the inner geek/gadget freak in me missing out on anything with the "Low" bit of this description? Am I right in assuming that even though the Bluetooth phone prep is listed as "Low" that my phone will still connect and work with the system?

I'll certainly mention/haggle over the cambelt issue, tbh I'd rather they just got the cambelt changed for me before I got the car but if not it's definitely a good place to start haggling the price down a bit more.

What about the gear box oil? Do I need to check that it's been changed at 40k miles?
    Any ideas what that connector is in the armrest?

I might have to bite the bullet (and a stick!) and try a little test drive myself to check for this judder when changing gears, and hope I don't **** up my recently reconstructed shoulder, and make sure my surgeon and physio don't find out lol.

It is definitely a beautiful car, it's going to kill me having to just sit and look at it for at least four weeks! I suppose I'll just have to sit in it and familiarise myself with all that lovely tech and how to use it in the meantime.

Thanks again for your reply fella, I owe ya one!

0 0 0

4. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I have the previous version (2g) MMI, so I'm not sure on the workings of the phone cradle in the armrest, but someone will be able to advise you further on that (A6_Chris particularly, he knows the MMI system inside out). Your S3 should connect to bluetooth without needing a phone connected to the phone cradle in the armrest though.

Try doing a search on 'phone cradle' & it'll bring up plenty of reading.

You'd be able to feel the judder as a passenger, so don't go losing the use of your arm trying to drive just for that lol.

I'll look forward to others clearing up the other questions & seeing pics of your new pride & joy once you take delivery.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

1 1 0

5. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hehe thanks mate, I have just had a look on the Audi website and it looks like I'll be able to use my S3 fine with the car as is. Or buy an optional cradle if I really want to. Being that I tend to change my phone fairly regularly I'll probably just stick with bluetooth.

On the subject of iPod connectivity it looks like I just need a cable for around £35, does that sound right?

Pictures of our new pride and joy will indeed be high on my list of priorities once I can take her somewhere scenic, photography is (more than) a bit of a hobby for me (http://www.avidphotographer.co.uk) although by trade I'm an A&E nurse. You can imagine how frustrated I am being at home on the sick when I'm used to running around in a busy A&E department, I'm going mental!

Thanks again for your help, please don't feel obliged to stay awake any longer answering my questions, you've already more than put my mind at rest. I'm only still awake because I find it so difficult to get to sleep sitting upright in this bloody sling lol.

0 1 0

6. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I had a reply but my iPad deleted it

Well Paul has covered everything which saves me writing it all out

Your S3 will connect fine if the car was searching for it, it will display a PIN on screen which you will need to enter on your phone, its a 16 digit on my car.

CR engines aren't subject to the recall which can put your mind at rest but Audi clutches and DMF's are made of chocolate so you will have to replace it sometime in the future, I'm aware of this and just waiting for the day my A3 starts to judder.

3G Low (as per the interior pics) will have NAV as standard and is fitted to that particular car. AMI isn't standard I don't think but if you check the glovebox you should see some sort of connection but if not, it's easily retrofitted.

The 3G Low system you shouldn't discount as it's miles ahead of the 2G it replaced and the only real difference from the DVD and HDD is a jukebox and a 3d image of some buildings but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a car with HDD if you're set on this one.

Gearbox oil doesn't need changed on the manuals, just the fwd auto's.

I change the cambelt at 60k or 4 years, my A3 is going into Audi in 2 weeks for a full cambelt, waterpump and full service @ 65k, a bit overdue I know

The connectors in your armrest will be for a phone cradle, but this is only really for charging and at £90 for a cradle I would jut use the BT and a 12v charger.

DPF shouldn't be any bother on that car as it has lived on the motorway and will have had a good chance to clear so no worries there.

I see you mention you're a tech freak, consider buyign VCDS, ok its dear at £260 but it will help you diagnose faults if you're not using Audi for servicing and you can help others out for beer tokens if they need a scan and before you know it, the cable will have paid for itself.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Anyway keep us updated

And apologies if this post seems a bit all over the place, I just tried to remember what I typed on my iPad!

0 0 0

7. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi,

One thing to add, find out what year things like the Navigation map/dvd is. These are quite expensive to buy retail so you maybe able to include an update in the final price, or a bit of money off.

I'd also be checking things like the tyres, not just condition but make as often a lease company will just put on cheap tyres. Also ensure the alloy wheel locking key is included. Basically try and think ahead of all the things that you may need to spend money on short to medium term, check them and if money needs to be spent, try and get included or money knocked off.

Add in things like brakes, is there a lip on the discs, or deep scoring indicating replacement due. Number plates, do they match front and rear from either supplying dealer or plate maker (replacement could indicate accident damage). Fuel/RFL how much will they throw in .....

If things like timing belt due in a bit, also see if you can come to a deal on that, either now or when it's due such as discounted labour/parts. Doesn't hurt to ask politely.

Are you able to get a copy of list of the PR codes? This is a list of specification/options fitted to each car and is a sticker in both the service book and spare wheel area. You can then use a PR decoder to get a full list of spec.

Presume it has a full service history and warranty for peace of mind.

Good luck, do some research and go in armed such as:

www.whatcar.com used car valuation (gives you prices for this car)

Other similar cars for sale and spec/prices.

Andy

0 0 0

8. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    If you want to check whether the car has AMI, take a good look inside the glovebox. The port on the C6 facelift is not immediately obvious - it is in the roof of the glovebox over towards the left hand side. When my C6 was delivered, I thought they had forgotten to install AMI at first, but thankfully I checked thoroughly and found the connector before making myself look silly

I drove the same car in Le Mans trim spec for three years / 60000 miles, and the only mechanical issue I had in thw whole of that time was a G450 DPF sensor which went faulty. It was a lovely car, and I was sad to see it go.

Cheers!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

9. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the posts guys, we took the car out for a test drive and, I have to admit, were hooked. The car has a full service history from Audi Manchester, the cambelt hasn't been done, they assured me it didn't need doing for another 12,000 miles (not entirely sure I believe them but not a lot I could say to that), but an "MMI upgrade" was listed within the work, and funnily enough at every service they've ticked the "Multitronic oil change" box even though it's a manual!

I was expecting to find a CD changer in the glovebox and the DVD sat nav in the boot but when I looked it only has the DVD sat nav in the glovebox and not a cd-changer in sight. The DVD-rom drive in the glove box has two SD card slots and, when I was fiddling with the gadgets a menu came up to select the source and it listed SD, DVD rom, and AMI. The AMI was listed as "not connected", I had a brief look in the glove box and couldn't see any connector but I'll be sure to have another look when I get the car if it's that easy to miss. Hopefully all I'll need is the £35 cable from Audi and I'll be able to stick my iPod classic in the glovebox and enjoy my 40,000 tracks whenever I want :-)

Unfortunately, the car only comes with one key. All the dealer would offer me was a "panel"/"paddle" (he talked fast) key that would "get you into the car if you lose your key but won't start the car". Not a lot of use, so the first thing we'll have to do is go to an Audi dealer and order a new key. Is it possible to get the new key and the existing key altered in any way so that the "missing" spare key wouldn't be of any use to anyone? Call me paranoid but I'd rather this missing spare key could no longer get into and start my A6 should it ever turn up.

By way of recompense the dealer has offered me 4 years servicing and MOT as part of the deal, being that they're a used car dealer and not an Audi dealer how much use is that to me? He's also given us a 1 year RAC warranty (I think he said it was the Gold warranty but we discussed so much I'm having trouble remembering it all).

I didn't check whether the locking wheel key is there, but I'll check that with him when he rings me (they said within ten minutes, so probably an hour or so!)

I actually ejected the sat nav DVD to check it was actually there but stupidly didn't think to check the year on the disc, doh!

All in all both myself and my fiance were both so impressed with the car that we're happy with the overall deal we're getting, even if it means we have to spend £2-300 on a new key, even if towards the end of the negotiations he did put us off a bit by insisting he give us a lift to the cash machine to get the deposit, despite us saying that we were happy to drive ourselves there and return with it! Maybe we don't look trustworthy, or he was so desperate for the deal, I don't know, it just put us off a little bit. Not with the car, just the garage. These things happen I suppose, ho hum!

Anyway, by the time we got back with the deposit the car had already been whisked away to get the MOT done, and he reckons we'll be able to pick her up on Wednesday. So only 5 sleeps to go! (as my fiance would say).

I can't wait :-D

0 0 0

10. Re: Think I'm about to buy an A6 S-Line and have some questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Well it looks like it's all systems go then. Congratulations and I hope it's everything you want it to be. Don't let the salesman experience spoil it for you, most of them are venal little buggers anyway. Enjoy.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast