Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Crikey, I only wanted to bleed the brakes.....

1. Crikey, I only wanted to bleed the brakes..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ......but what a hassle!
    I bought my Bora at the weekend, I love the way it drives, its been remapped so smooth all the way through the rev range and great MPG.
    Its had new pads all round and new front discs but after 300 miles of driving, the pedal travel is way too long before it bites so I decided to bleed the system. No great shakes as I have done this many times on other cars.

My drive is 40 degrees and as the car was facing up, I had tried to keep the reservoir topped up, got all the way round to the front driver's side wheel and bang, lost the pressure on the pedal...bugger. I must have taken air into the master cylinder....So, car level on the ramps, re-bled everything again including the master cylinder and at last, 15 pumps per wheel and at last, a firm pedal! (I had the ignition on during the bleed and ran the car after with the res cap off to allow any air to bleed out).

While I was in there, I decided to remove the EGR and give it a good clean. It was pretty grubby but not as bad as I thought. There were no symptoms and MPG is good, but its good to do it and it only took and hour.
    I fitted a new Serpentine belt too after reading a guide on here. My belt was squeaking so £9 for a new Gates belt is money well spent and another job done!

The next task on the list is to sort the central locking. It only unlocks the passenger door and boot, intermittently the driver door unlocks but you can hear the motor working in the drivers door. Nothing at the rears at all but that's not an issue.
    I have started to lock and unlock with the key at the moment and this opens the drivers door, the new spare is the same and the battery disconnect does not appear to make any difference so I guess the central locking unit is knackered, no great shakes.
    I guess the CL is a common fault as there are soooo many threads about them!

0 0 0

2. Re: Crikey, I only wanted to bleed the brakes..... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    yeah, bleeding brakes whilst the car is level is always better than on a really steep slope.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0