Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Great forum!

I need to invest in a small trailer for light and infrequent use. I am trying to decide what type of towbar to install / have installed. Any experience / advice would be greatly received.

I have 2000 Audi A4 1.8 T Sport Quattro.

As the towbar is only for infrequent use would a detachable towbar be best? I would possibly also make use of the towbar for a bike carrier but I have read that a few of the bike carriers cannot be used on detachable bars.

I am looking at sourcing a towbar from towequip and installing myself as I have access to a good workshop and could call on some people to help if required. Does anyone have any experience of installing these and whether they are difficult?

Does my car have a trailer wiring connection or would I need to manually wire in?

Lastly does anyone have any additional advice or experiences?

Thanks
    Warren

0 0 0

2. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    A fixed bar will be about 1/3 the cost of a detachable.

Getting an aftermarket one will probably mean you'll have to splice into the wiring rather than being able to plug and play.

Also, I got a towquipe fitted to my Passat earlier this year. Like you I fully intended to fit it to save money but for the extra over price they wanted to fit it was silly not to.

Fitting though is bumper off, crash iron / bar off, new towbar on, bumper back on and wire up. Do they say the A4 needs a bumper cut ? My Passat didn't need one.

0 0 0

3. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I owm a 2001 1.9 TDi, and recently fitted a detachable with twin 'invisible' electrics....... doddle to fit, took about half a day including electrics. I paid a bit more for what they call 'car specific' electrics, which basically means no splicing into wires, you simply plug into the cars existing plugs. Would definitely recommend the detachable when thay are removerd they are completely un-noticible.

Dave

0 0 0

4. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd go with the detachable tow bar also, there is nothing worse than a big tow bar at the back of a car. I nearly bought one on ebay a few weeks ago I missed out and it only went for £70 this was for a detachable one too.

0 0 0

5. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone.

Have decided on a detachable one but have not yet decided whether to fit myself or not. Still gathering some prices.

From what I have read the A4 does require a bumper cut but not a visible one.

Regards
    Warren

0 0 0

6. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go for the detachable, the bumper cut is minimal, and my bumber even had a dotted line on it so you can see where to cut (probrably for the Audi boys if they are factory (dealer) fitted)). I'm fairly novice with cars but I managed..... electrics aswell.

Besides you don't want a bloody great towbar ruining the back end of your Audi all the time do you?

Dave

0 0 0

7. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Dave,

How easy were the electrics? Does the A4 have a loom in the boot which you plug in to or do you have the run the cables all the way up to the front?

Can I ask where you got your towbar from?

Thanks
    Warren

0 0 0

8. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Warren, electrics were dead easy, I used a live feed for the relay pack straight off the fag lighter in the boot (I have an avant), if you have a charging circuit (twin electrics) then you will need to run a wire to the battery/fuse box. I bought my towbar and 'car specific' electrics from towequipe (they are dead good) and the wires then all have the correct sockets on them so the plug into the existing Audi plugs (they have a freephone tech help line also)

Best of luck

Dave

0 0 0

9. Re: Fixed vs Detachable Towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there

We at PFJones come across this question all the time, it is all about personal preference. Fixed flange bars are basic and do what you need, they are also cheaper.

you then have fixed swan necks that are just as good and look better than a flange bar. The detachable is the best in my oppinion as it gives you the option of removing that neck completely when it is not in use.

We have a wide range of witter and westfalia detachable towbars cheaper than anyone else.

Scott
    P.F.Jones
    PF Jones Towbars | National Mobile Towbar Fitting | Audi Towbars

We will beat any like for like price on all Witter and Westfalia Towbars 0161 872 4755

0 0 0