Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Autoglass Experience (bad to good)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thought I'd let you guys know about Autoglass and the A6!

So a couple of weeks ago as mentioned in another thread, I heard something that sounded like a crack forming only to find it was a 3-4" crack across the windscreen from the drives side edge. Called up Autoglass direct who took details, and were happy to work with me on behalf of Chris Knott/Highways/Liverpool Victoria or whatever the heck they're known as.

Now the website on booking stated I could have it done on the Sunday at work but later they phoned to say fully booked so it was agreed the following Monday (last week).
    They came down (Hendon Branch) but on inspecting the glass, it was not a genuine Audi glass which meant no tint and that would mean camera would be openly visible from outside. I said no, they took it back and I waited for AG to get in-touch.

After lots of chasing up, they finally came through and the insurance had authorised a genuine glass from Audi to be delivered to Camden Autoglass. By now, I had said I wanted the glass fitted at work as I would be there during the week. Everythings ok...
    Until the a few days ago when I got the dreaded call from AG to say the glass is on its way from the dealer and that I would have to come in on Sunday if that's ok. I said a big fat no especially given the london marathon was on...but I also made a point in saying this was supposed to be a mobile fitting.
    After lots of putting me off saying the glass would have to go to Birmingham depot and then reissued as a mobile job, I accepted Monday (Yesterday) after work at 4:30 at the Camden branch.

So I was out of work later than usual (4:15) and made it to AG at 4:40 where the guys were waiting for me - about to give up and start another job.

This is where it goes all good!

The welcoming was great. I didn't feel at all like a normal customer but more for some reason. The fitters were quite young and the manager was also there again to greet me.
    I drove straight into the workshop and was told I would have to wait indoors due to H&S but I could just about see it being done.

They explained the work, I then told them about the camera which they said would be removed and also said not to stick the tax back on as I had new holders.

30 mins gone and sure enough, it's done. In that 30mins, the manager spoke to me on and off to kill the time, there was also a TV there but nothing interesting on.

The fitting was shown to me at which point the very clean car showed a couple of fingerprints that they noticed and wiped off from the body panels. It was explained I would (should) not go back on the road for an hour as the glue needs to set. I accepted this, signed the fitting after making sure there was nothing wrong with it and drove into their carpark.

It was at this point the fitter came out to explain that the pad on the camera would stay but probably needs to be replaced - and then he gave me two freebie pads.
    He also pointed out the cables...or the lack of them! To my amazement, he actually tucked the cables into the trim and made it completely clean of cables unlike my fitting. I then realised I needed a bit more slack - with no huffing and puffing, he came out, spent 10 minutes removing the trim to pull some more slack and put it together.
    Again, he explained not to do too much until the glue is dried.

Just after 6pm, I was driving home having cleaned the car with some detailing spray :- )

Overall, very very pleasant experience. I was not too happy about a back street industrial estate in Camden especially after having a van stop next to me to make a gesture to say Car = wow followed by a thumbs up. (completely ignoring a Ferrari that went past!)

Can't fault the fitters or manager one bit - very friendly and having two fitters meant in 30 mins, it was all done.
    No mess inside, seats were covered and I could see there was constant wiping of the glass and surrounding areas.

Would highly recommend Camden Autoglass (I think the main fitter was Jonny)

The end

3 4 0

2. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting experience ...

My insurer would also use AG and I've been pondering if they would allow a genuine screen to be fitted...

Also great to hear they didn't damage car from removal/refit which makes me feel inclined to go to AG...

Like you I'd been considering paying a main dealer for screen & fitting...

0 1 0

3. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AG did the glass on my old Gallardo a few years back and sent out a special fitter to the local branch who had been trained on that type of car. They fitted a genuine glass (at a cost of 3750....) and Admiral paid up in full (pretty good considering the paltry 520 annual premium cost). Very happy with the work and they even gave me a lift into town and collected me when ready.
    2013 Mk7 Golf GT 2.0tdi DSG
    2005 A3 Sportback 2.0tdi Sport DSG
    Previous:
    2006 A6 Avant 3.0tdi Quattro Le Mans
    2004 A4 Avant 3.0 (petrol) Quattro Sport

2 2 0

4. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I'm glad you posted this Akash, because it was sometime in March when they had their free Bosch Wipers offer on, that I was going to post about AG anyway. My reason for posting was that it occurred to me - how often in life do you ever get anything free? Virtually never, but when you have a problem, AG fix it for free. Not only that, but they come to you to do it! And on top of that, in March, they give you a really useful free gift just for using their free service (ok, I now know it wasn't available to my model, but still...)

Thanks for your review & highlighting that we can hold out for genuine Audi glass. It didn't occurr to me that I'd need to, or could request that
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

1 1 0

5. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UVB View Post
    AG did the glass on my old Gallardo a few years back and sent out a special fitter to the local branch who had been trained on that type of car.
    If they're good enough for a Gallardo () their good enough for Zesty the A6! ...

I had read that Autoglass do invest in good training/tools but nothing beats first hand experience shares ...

0 0 0

6. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Brycie, yup you certainly can. Sometime they can make a fuss. In my case, they hinted I may have to pay a bit...but would not be much. In the end, the OEM glass was something like £420 according to AG and the genuine was about £300 more. How much of it was true who knows but they would have got it at cost either way.

For the wipers - I had only just replaced my stock Audi wipers with Bosch a month ago so I was hoping that if they replaced them, I would get my old ones back but as you mentioned, I think this was a March offer. Having said that, the first van that came to my house had a bucket load (literally) of bosch wipers so they are still offering it I think.

The van driver had also mentioned in his experience (18 years), the OEM glass and Audi is not that different but visually, the tint strip was the most obvious. How it would change minds on resale value is another thing.
    The OEM glass also came with the rain sensor and mirror bracket built into it (as did the Audi glass).

2 0 0

7. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Gups - I think they have to as the liability is great.
    In conversation with the main guy - we got onto a chat in regards to the red tape they put on the glass and on the body to hold the glass in place. I mentioned that I hope the paint does not peel off on removing the tape given that if it's strong enough to hold a glass that big in place...what else can it do.
    He promised it would be fine on the Audi due to the hard paint etc...but also did mention that once on a old RR, the paint did indeed come off and they were liable for a complete respray of the roof at no cost to the customer.

The guarantee also covers anything like badly fitted trims etc and the whole package is based on that if a customer has to have things repaired after the fitting, the staff are on a 2 or 3 strike system and can be quite quickly fired if mistakes are made.

End of the day, cars are not cheap and I think they know this

1 1 0

8. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Akash ... How much did you pay in total for windscreen swap under your insurance for genuine one? Thanks ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Akash View Post
    In my case, they hinted I may have to pay a bit...but would not be much. In the end, the OEM glass was something like £420 according to AG and the genuine was about £300 more. How much of it was true who knows but they would have got it at cost either way.
    I've just priced up genuine new windscreen for mine including the trim either side of screen outside, sensor and any other little bits and its coming out a tad over £500 inc VAT for just parts ...

0 0 0

9. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Hi Akash ... How much did you pay in total for windscreen swap under your insurance for genuine one? Thanks ... I've just priced up genuine new windscreen for mine including the trim either side of screen outside, sensor and any other little bits and its coming out a tad over £500 inc VAT for just parts ...
    Morning mate

I paid only the standard excess of £70. As mentioned, they originally tried to give me a copy which had the rain sensor bits but no tint strip. I requested an original Audi which they provided with no extra money on top.

1 1 0

10. Re: Autoglass Experience (bad to good) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    So I guess all good and happy with work as no updates to thread of any issues from AG windscreen install?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast