1. Oh dear! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I stupidly put forty quidsworth of 4* in my tdi yesterday.Drained it off and filled up with diesel.Changed the filter and got it running as normal eventually.Bit reluctant to start this morning,but did,though a little slower than usual.The only remaining problem seems to be at 1400 to 1600 revs on a steady throttle,it's missing a lot.Any ideas chaps?Many thanks,Rod.

0 0 0

2. Re: Oh dear!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    it should be fine, just keep topping it up with diesel and driving it.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: Oh dear!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    it should be fine, just keep topping it up with diesel and driving it.
    Ta lad,you know how it is,you do worry when you're a ***b

0 0 0

4. Re: Oh dear!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    we've all done it before sometime in our lives!

0 1 0

5. Re: Oh dear!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep lol.

I done it the otherway round, Diesel in a Petrol.
    1.8Turbo. Stage 1 Tuned 215bhp
    l Powerflow Cat Back Exhaust l Carbonio Cold Air Intake l Forge 007P Diverter l Stage 1 Remap l Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar Clutch l 40mm Apex Lowering Springs l HZ Altezza Front skirt l HZ Altezza side skirts l HZ Altezza spoiler l Votex Rear Bumper l 19" RS6 Alloys l 312mm Brake Upgrade l 2007 S-Line Interior l

0 0 0

6. Re: Oh dear!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    diesel in a petrol is bad, very bad. the diesel ignites too easily and causes detonation. petrol in a diesel is not too bad.

0 0 0

7. Re: Oh dear! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It was in an Old MK2 Fiesta when I was about 18, I had to push it all the way home and then I took the petrol tank off, drained it all out and then had to fill it to the top with Petrol
    1.8Turbo. Stage 1 Tuned 215bhp
    l Powerflow Cat Back Exhaust l Carbonio Cold Air Intake l Forge 007P Diverter l Stage 1 Remap l Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar Clutch l 40mm Apex Lowering Springs l HZ Altezza Front skirt l HZ Altezza side skirts l HZ Altezza spoiler l Votex Rear Bumper l 19" RS6 Alloys l 312mm Brake Upgrade l 2007 S-Line Interior l

0 1 0

8. Re: Oh dear! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    zollaf, i think you mean petrol in a diesel is bad as it has NO lubricating features so wrecks stuff like the fuel pump when the engine is run. diesel in a petrol does not a right lot except make it smoke a bit after you drain it and put petrol back in! diesel needs compression or high heat to ignite, petrol will ignite wil way less heat.
    2002 A4 B6 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport - Mods to date... Too Many To List!

0 0 0

9. Re: Oh dear! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    no, i meant what i said. petrol doesn't lubricate, which is why upto 25 % is recommended by vw to be safe in a pd engine. in really cold places 50 % petrol is added to keep it fluid in low temps, with no detrimental affect to the fuel system. petrol is also a much better injector cleaner than expensive injector cleaners.
    in a petrol it will cause pre ignition, firing before the plug lights it. this is because it will ignite under the heat generated from an already hot and running petrol engine. yes it causes smoke but also causes detonation. a long time ago a nova i had ended up with some diesel in it due to someone needing to get rid of some petrol they put in a diesel van, brimmed it though, no good, so i know full well how it ran. petrol in a diesel won't ignite on its own. the high temp of compression won't light it, it needs a spark. so when mixed with derv, the derv ignites and this causes the petrol to burn. thus diesel is more volatile than petrol, opposite to what you would think since you can't set fire to diesel ???

0 1 0

10. Re: Oh dear! 
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I remember a dear colleague of mine a few years back - Fiat Diesel Estate. Filled it with Unleaded - had about 1/4 tank of diesel in it at the time. He phoned to say it had started smoking a lot, but he was close to the office and would make it back. As he pulled in it was like a red-arrow doing a slow noisy pass up the street and into the car park. When he turned it off and the smoke cleared from the car-park - he said "don't know what's up with it". He started it again and the engine was leaping about so much we really thought it was going to jump out from under the bonnet! Anyway, 2 days later after a total drain and clean through - amazingly - nothing damaged, nothing wrong, all good - and that was after a 30 mile journey on that fuel! Stunned. Mind you, the rest of the car fell apart, so it had to have some redeeming features!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast