Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Everyone,

I have literally just joined the website; I am in need of advice from you experienced Audi drivers .

Currently, I drive 2005 1.4 VW Polo (petrol), but due to a new job which requires me to drive on the motorway to get there I want a new car – it takes me aprx. 40 mins max to get to work. But on the weekends I travel back home which takes about 1hr 15mins one way, usually once/twice a fortnight.

So, I’m getting really sick of driving my Polo because it is just so slow, uncomfortable and boring. The only good thing, I think, is the MPG on the Polo. Currently I put in about £40-£50(about £10 more when I travel home) worth of petrol and it lasts me about a week - if I drive sensibly :P. I usually drive at whatever on the way to work, but on the way back I try to be good and do about 60MPH to save petrol.

Anyway, I have been obsessing over buying an Audi A3 2005-2009 3 doors. Ideally I would LOVE to buy an Auto, I hate gear changing (my parents drive Autos -Mercedes and BMW), even though the MPG compared to a manual is not significantly different, I need to be saving money on petrol rather than spending. Unless people think otherwise, I’m thinking to just go for a 1.9L, Diesel, Manual, oh and S line spec.

My questions are:

Are Audi A3s reliable on the motorway?

Do you think I should get an Auto or Manual?

1.9 or 2L diesel?

What is the price ranges for A3 2005-2009? I’ve been to auction a few times and they are cheaper than autotraders.co.uk and car garages. The other day, for a 3 door 2009, with 83k miles, 1.9 diesel for £6,700, so £7k including fees. I think that is a bargain, I guess the only down side to an auction is you can’t drive the car, but my dad insists on buying from auction as he has brought all our cars from auction and they were all fine. My friend also brought an Audi from auction; her brother is a trader so he got it even cheaper, 2008 5 door 1.9 85k miles for under £6k.

I would be grateful for any tips/advice you may have, or what you guys think I should do taking my situation into account.

Thank you in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A3 motorway driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A3 2.0L TDI (140) is a cracking motor with enough grunt to make your driving experience exciting and will see you good for 50mpg+ on motorway depending on driving style of course

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A3 motorway driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    2009 1.9 TDi purchased in December 2011 with 27k on the clock.

Now 1.5 years later the car has 65k, so do the maths, 38k all 100% motorway, 100 miles per day.

Not one problem bar a sensor which was covered under warranty. The car is in every 3 or 4 months for an oil change which keeps the engine well fed.

I would recommend one to anybody, just look at the Skoda taxis and old Passats etc with 200k+ on a 1.9

I paid £15k for my 2009 with 27k from Audi.

So to answer your question,

Are Audi A3s reliable on the motorway?
    Definitely if you keep it serviced right.

Do you think I should get an Auto or Manual?
    I find the manual fine on the motorway for work, but I do love the Auto in my A6.

1.9 or 2L diesel?
    1.9 all the way, ye olde reliable, no problems with injectors or oil pump balance shafts like the 2.0.

It's not the fastest thing on earth with 105bhp but it has good in-gear torque for overtaking in 5th and gains speed at ease.

0 2 0

4. Re: Audi A3 motorway driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The prices you've quoted above don't seem that great to me plus you have some risks when buying at auction. Got my A3 about a year ago from a dealer for less than 8k for a 2006 5 door 2.0tdi Sprt DSG (ie auto) with fsh and 58k on the clock. Dripping with extras (leather, heated front/rear seats, bose, xenon lights, multi function steering wheel), cd stacker).

Had no trouble with it so far and it averages just over 50mpg (more on a run but we have an A6 for those). The DSG is a peach too so you won't regret that if you get one. If it were me, I'd take my time to find a nice one with all the bits on it you want etc. Key to that is watching Autotrader like a hawk and having your finances in place so you can snap something up quickly when it comes on the market. I'd also sometimes prefer a private sale to a dealer as that way you get to meet the owner and get a better feel for how the car has been treated.

All of my experience of auctions has been that they are awash with private buyers so the only way you will get a bargain is if you get something with cosmetic damage that you can live with (compared to a dealer who would take into account the prep costs for them).
    2013 Mk7 Golf GT 2.0tdi DSG
    2005 A3 Sportback 2.0tdi Sport DSG
    Previous:
    2006 A6 Avant 3.0tdi Quattro Le Mans
    2004 A4 Avant 3.0 (petrol) Quattro Sport

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A3 motorway driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A3 should be fine and a step up from a polo (I've had both!) on motorway. the only thing I'd say to watch for is stay clear of s line suspension. Even on motorways it's not comfy. Get auto for sure - why we brits insist on manual when most people would be better off with auto is beyond me. And diesel for your mileage and driving style for sure!

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A3 motorway driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I find my A3 (15mm lover) is fine on the motorway with ride and comfort as is my A6 with the 30mm drop and 19" wheels.

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A3 motorway driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Of course it's down to individual tastes. It just sounded like op wasn't worried about sporty suspensions etc. in which case it's best to stick with standard suspension. Clearly I may be wrong but personally although the trim is nicer on a line I'd never consider a line suspension again. Was just too uncomfortable on normal roads. And after about an hour's driving I'd be pretty worn down.

0 0 0