1. A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    1. Our family car is killing us!, its cost money recently going through MOT and new battery and now wont start.The speedo and a few other dials stopped working about a year ago but fine to drive it still as it may be costly to find out why.Over the last 4 weeks we have had beeping from the alarm when we park it and lock with the key remote,alarm goes off as beeps for about 30 seconds then stops for a while then beeps again 30 seconds or so then all quiet. This was a pain but we dont really have money for now to sort it so have lived with it. Now the car wont start, I get a good rev on key turn but the engine wont take, I also have no info light up on the dash some dials but no digital info anywhere, have put in petrol and battery is new. I am suspecting the alarm is stopping it is there anything I can try? I live in London and its not cheap to get these things looked into by Audi...we have booked a cheap holiday leaving on Saturday which I need the car for. I would be grateful if anyone can suggest any ideas how I may be able to solve this even if I disable the alarm somehow which Im guessing isnt easy to do?? I just dont really have money to throw again at this car right now!
    2. Many many thanks for any info....not sure why these numbers have popped up next to my text!

sam

0 0 0

2. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I'm pretty sure the clocks are part of the immobiliser system on audi's, if you're clocks have died then the immobiliser may not be allowing the car to start. (which sounds right as your car starts then dies which is exactly how it will react when the immobiliser is doing its job)

0 0 0

3. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    start simple and check the fuses, relays, if they're al ok take the clocks out and check the circuits on the back for burnt tracks. If you end up having to change the clocks you'll need an auto electrician to program the new clocks to the immobiliser.

0 0 0

4. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where abouts in London do you live? There's a user on here called adamss24 who is based in North London and charges reasonable prices. He's pretty highly recommended by quite a few people around here.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

5. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Wacky....So look at fuses inside dash and under bonnet above battery, what are the relays?...how do I know if they are faulty? and where/what are the clocks. Unfortunately Im SW London NickPicks but thanks!

Bu the way I havent removed the battery leads yet what happens then?

Thanks again

0 0 0

6. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    'the clocks' is a term for the pod/unit behind the steering wheel that contains the speedo, rev counter, fuel, water gauges and warning lights. Usually easy to remove in audi's, remove the trim from the bottom edge of the clocks (between the clocks and the steering column) then 2 screws at the bottom of the clocks and they're out. the clocks are integrated into the immobiliser system. As your clocks don't work there is a very good chance they're stopping your car from running- when the immobiliser immobilises the vehicle the engine will start, run for a couple of seconds then die as the immobiliser does its job which is what your car is doing right? Find out why the clocks and gauges don't work and you will likely find out why the car won't run. Relay's are electric switches that use a small current to flick a switch and allow a larger current to flow, they're usually located near the fuses and are square boxes about an inch and a half square, with 4 or 5 prong contacts, they should click when you run 12v through the switch circuit. Anyway examine the clocks first see if you can find out why they don't work. This may also be the reason your alarm is going off but you won't know till you've sorted them out.

0 0 0

7. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Wacky will see if i can give it a go and see Im stuck for time as I have a two year old with me all day otherwise would try these things asap, and not get to close to the airport drive before its too late to go to garage if i cant work it out. I have just been out and disconnected the red battery lead and re-connected and it starts with dash digital lights on so all ok, so can i drive it like that or will it cut out or something. so Im working out in the back of my mind if that will be a way to get to the airport where it will be parked for week then drive back!.

Thanks again

0 0 0

8. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah I've a four year old follows me round with a spanner whenever i'm fixing a car, quite cute but takes twice as long to do anything.
    Its wierd disconnecting/ reconnecting the battery fixes the starting issue, whether or not it'll cut out on a run I wouldnt like to say, i dont think the immobiliser constantly checks the system so once its started its started. It could be a veriety of issues, possibly clocks, faulty engine ECU, wiring issue perhaps. I think you need someone with a bit of experience to check it out really mate.

0 0 0

9. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would be a good idea to have a fault code read, which will hopefully tell you what the immobiliser thinks is happening. Have a look in the VCDS user locations section to see if there's anyone near you that could help.

There's a map here

You might be better off getting the train/tube to the airport?
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

10. Re: A3 Wont start, no dash light up but good battery....please help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with Nick Sam, get the fault codes read and maybe get some advice from someone who can see the car and has some experience with VAG cars, you can spend weeks of inexperience looking for something an experienced person will find in minutes.......

0 0 0