Notices

User Tag List

Thread: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks,

I recently got a 2002 1.8 SE TDI Passat Diesel Estate. I'm happy with it, it drives well and I've already done several thousand miles in it. But I do have a few questions:

Unlocking:
    Why can't I easily get the central locking to do what I want it to? If I press the open doors button then sometimes the drivers door will unlock and none of the others. Sometimes, all the doors apart from the drivers door open, occassionally none of the doors unlock. Is there some magical way I should be pressing the remote so that it just unlocks? Similarly sometimes it won't lock all the doors either.

Plastic Trim:
    There's two bits of plastic trim that look as if they are off the bottom of the front seats that aren't attached. Do these just clip back in? Are they important?

Radio and CD player
    Radio won't automatically scan for a better signal. Reception is very patchy. It finds very few stations. Are they all like this or is there anything I can do to improve matters?
    CD player constantly skips - it's as if there's a "blind spot" on the CD player. Again, is there an easy fix?

Rear Washer
    Doesn't seem to work, can hear the motor trying to power it and the front ones work fine. They do both work from the same resevoir don't they?

Economy
    I'm getting about 45mpg over the miles I've done since I got the car according to the dash computer. Does this sound good/bad/average on mainly motorway driving?

All answers/responses gratefully recieved. Sorry if it's just me being thick on some of these - feel free to take the p. ;-)

0 0 0

2. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DO NOT USE YOUR REAR WASHER UNTIL YOU'VE FOUND THE PROBLEM!

Your issues with the central locking and the rear washer are likely to be related, the pipe taking the fluid from front to rear can split ant the joints, and every time you pull the switch you are spraying washer fluid under the carpets, and this could be affecting the CCM which controls the locking (amongst others) under the passenger seat.

That said it could be a number of other things, but this is most likely.
    Nothing to see here, move along..

1 0 0

3. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A quick scan with VCDS will point you in the right direction

1 0 0

4. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    is it a diesel (1.9) or a petrol (1.8 ) it can't be both (can it ???).
    anyway, its an 11 year old car, and all the 11 year old mondeos have met their maker, apart from a select few, as have all the vauxhalls etc.., so this just proves how well vag build their cars. they are then allowed to have a few niggles, which i am sure you will get sorted. don't be disheartened though.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

5. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, it's a 1.9 definitely diesel, my bloody sausage fingers decided to change the engine size when typing.

What's VCDS? Is it expensive? Is it easy to use? What does it do?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the car Zollaf, I'm trying to learn about it and sort out the bits that are a little irritating. It's forums like this that prevent idiots like me taking a car's whole lighting system apart to try to find out why a headlight was staying on even when the ignition was off and only finding out after a whole day's work that it was because the indicator was left on and the car came with a parking light. (about 16 years ago - Ford Cortina Mk 3 XL - first car I owned that had a parking light.)

This is by far the most modern car that I've owned, apart from this the newest car that I've ever had is a 1989 Peugeot 205 GTi. Until a couple of weeks ago I thought the ESP button was to find out which way BMW drivers were going to turn at a junction.

Treat me like an idiot, I truly know nothing. :-)

0 1 0

6. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    lol.
    they are truly good cars. a few things to watch though, like blocked and flooded plenums and the engine, being pd ( PUMPE DEUSE or unit injector) (presume yours is, whats the engine code ? ) must , repeat must have the correct spec oil in it or it will self destruct.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 0 0

7. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Depending on where you are in That London, you'd probably benefit from having a word with Chris (adamss24, based in North London) who is very clued up on his VAG (fnar!) and has all the kit (VCDS etc).

He's also a thoroughly decent chap (when he's not openly touting his skills ). I can point him in this direction (you're not able to send PMs just yet) if you'd like, he'll do you a scan for beer tokens.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 1 0

8. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is indeed a PD. Tesco value oil not the one to go for then? Engine code is AMX 109XXX

0 0 0

9. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That'd be very kind of you Sam. Do you need me to post up my email address?

0 0 0

10. Re: So, a couple of small niggles - could be me being stupid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as for lack of rear wash water look in nearside storage compartment in boot for a pool of water if you have one look in top left corner of storage compartment and there is a joint that seperates when washer is frozen

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast