Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How to fit a brake light switch...?

1. How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My dad's 2.5 TDI 2002 is throwing up the following codes:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 01: Engine Labels: 059-907-401-AKE.clb
    Part No: 4B1 907 401 D
    Component: 2.5l/4VTEDC G000AG D08
    Coding: 01017
    Shop #: WSC 02325
    VCID: 20440E73A053E518015

2 Faults Found
    17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
    P1570 - 35-10 - - Intermittent
    00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
    27-00 - Implausible Signal
    Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01J-927-156.lbl
    Part No: 01J 927 156 CN
    Component: V30 01J 2.5lTDI RdW 2202
    Coding: 00001
    Shop #: WSC 44552
    VCID: 7AF01C1B664F5FC86F1

1 Fault Found
    17087 - Brake Switch (F)
    P0703 - 35-10 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent
    He has also experienced different warning lights on the dash, most frequently the glow plug light flashing. Having done some reading it looks like the brake pedal switch could also cause this warning light.

I have also read different views on how the brake light switch should be fitted, some saying that the switches have undergone different designs and some were fitted (and locked into position) with the pedal down whilst others with the pedal up. Is this true - and if so how are new switches fitted (I have just bought a new one from the main dealer).

thx

0 0 0

2. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I should add that ceilidhalfie kindly emailed me some instructions on changing the brake light switch and removing the dash panel (thread here). I have hosted them here for anyone that may need them....

0 0 0

3. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudidudi View Post
    My dad's 2.5 TDI 2002 is throwing up the following codes:

He has also experienced different warning lights on the dash, most frequently the glow plug light flashing. Having done some reading it looks like the brake pedal switch could also cause this warning light.

I have also read different views on how the brake light switch should be fitted, some saying that the switches have undergone different designs and some were fitted (and locked into position) with the pedal down whilst others with the pedal up. Is this true - and if so how are new switches fitted (I have just bought a new one from the main dealer).

thx
    If it is the ROUND switch you have, with brake pedal up, insert switch into hole and turn clockwise 45 degrees. With the original switches this process installed AND primed the switch. However, with install/priming being a one-off process (switch cannot be re-used if subsequently removed) a lot of installs if done incorrectly meant the switch had to be removed and re-inserted (which as I have stated requires another new switch).
    So the design was changed to 1) install switch and then if happy the switch is correctly seated, 2) turn a further 45 degrees to prime.

0 0 0

4. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilidhalfie View Post
    If it is the ROUND switch you have, with brake pedal up, insert switch into hole and turn clockwise 45 degrees. With the original switches this process installed AND primed the switch. However, with install/priming being a one-off process (switch cannot be re-used if subsequently removed) a lot of installs if done incorrectly meant the switch had to be removed and re-inserted (which as I have stated requires another new switch).
    So the design was changed to 1) install switch and then if happy the switch is correctly seated, 2) turn a further 45 degrees to prime.
    The one i bought (from the AUDI main dealer) looks like this:

Having done some googling i see many references to the other switch (below) for my engine type (AYM)

I guess I'll only see once I remove the dash panel.... or can I see the switch without removing the panel (I dont have the car to hand to check).

cheers

0 0 0

5. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    For EYM engine code , you need the second switch - for rectangular housing. Follow the procedure I gave you for this. Attached is the current Audi part no for the required switch - they are not expensive and I would recommend genuine Audi.
    Attached Files

0 0 0

6. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks again for the help ceilidhalfie, appreciated

The doc you loaded includes the following:

1 4A0 945 515 A switch - brake light
    F >> 4B-2-129 476* 4 pin 1

(1) 1K2 945 511 switch - brake light
    F 4B-2-129 477>>*

My chassis number includes (ive masked a few characters):
    4B x2x 150 4xx

So presumably, if i'm reading the document correctly, the chassis numbers 129477 onwards have brake light switch '1K2 945 511' fitted, which is the one I bought (the top image)?

0 0 0

7. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Oops - did not see there was also a section in the manual for round housing for your engine. Seems you have the right part. It SHOULD be equivalent to the new Audi part but in case it is like the old one, just make sure you install correctly first time in case it primes with only 45 degree turn.

0 0 0

8. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm struggling to even locate the switch can anyone help?

0 0 0

9. Re: How to fit a brake light switch...? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    If this is a RHD 4B A6 then the switch is directly above your toes when your foot is on the pedal but if your car is 2002 onwards it looks nothing like that, it uses the Golf 5 switch 1K2 945 511 RDW which is £14.83 from VAG dealers.

Similar to this but I think purple now

It is VITAL that a genuine VAG switch is installed correctly with the pedal up, otherwise you will break it instantly.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0