Hi,

I recently changed the timing belt on my MY07 Passat with the aforementioned engine. After the change it all seemed to start fine but I decided to check timing with VCDS and the torsion value was -5.4.

I found plenty of info on adjusting the timing for SOHC TDI's but hardly any for newer DOHC. I took a bit of a gamble and just loosened both the cam sprockets and made an adjustment to the rear cam. After a couple of attempts I managed to get the torsion value to 0.34, which I figured is close enough. I tightened everything up and left it.

I tried to start it up later that day when it was cold (but not freezing) and it really struggled to start, I had to turn it over for several seconds and the first couple of times it started, it just spluttered out. Once it has started properly it can be stopped and will then restart easily. But if its left for a few hours to cool down it struggles to start again. Also it doesn't seem to be running as smooth as it used to.

Obviously I've messed up the timing and after a lot of digging I saw some vague articles that mention making the adjustment to the front cam as this will affect the torsion value. I'm not sure but what I think I have done is made a big adjustment to the rear cam and as both cam sprockets were loose this has had a knock on and adjusted the front cam a small amount, enough to get the torsion down to 0.34. Trouble is I think the rear cam is now way out of sync.

Can anyone tell me how I can go about getting everything in sync again? I don't really want to adjust the front cam as the torsion value is now good. Is there another value somewhere in VCDS that I can check which will tell me when the rear cam is in the correct position? I don't want to try and guess it as I have to wait for the car to get cold after each attempt before I know the problem is fixed.

Any help is greatly appreciated!