Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by passat 130 tdi View Post
    fella , try changing the map sensor that sits in the intercooler pipe ontop near the bulk head . that was the problem with mine . I had fault codes stored that pointed me in this direction .I changed every vacuum pipe first - didn't work , I got some spray cleaner for the internals of the turbo - didn't work, I changed the n75 valve - didn't work, also just turn off the ignition and back on whilst you drive and the boost will come back for a while , no need to keep on parking and turning the engine off.... 4 garages said to me sticky vanes and £1000 , how wrong they were..... good luck ...
    Ive had to change my MAF sensor about 5 times over the last 7 years. Its definitley a DIY type job. Parts cost about 70 - 80 pounds:

Looks something like this : Volkswagen Passat 2.0D TDi Diesel (2003-) Air Mass Sensor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

0 0 0

2. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genghis View Post
    Ive had to change my MAF sensor about 5 times over the last 7 years. Its definitley a DIY type job. Parts cost about 70 - 80 pounds:

Looks something like this : Volkswagen Passat 2.0D TDi Diesel (2003-) Air Mass Sensor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
    I'm pretty sure the chap you quoted was on about the MAP sensor not the MAF - from my own experience MAF's are either dead or not- haven't come across a intermittent one and the ecu substitutes values when dead in any case. I'm pretty sure the MAP failing will throw you into limp home as a precaution to stop over boost.

0 0 0

3. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S66MJETDI View Post
    I'm pretty sure the chap you quoted was on about the MAP sensor not the MAF - from my own experience MAF's are either dead or not- haven't come across a intermittent one and the ecu substitutes values when dead in any case. I'm pretty sure the MAP failing will throw you into limp home as a precaution to stop over boost.
    You're in danger of confusing this whole topic. Click on the link I have provided. That part is what i have replaced. Several times. It's fixes the following symptoms: limp mode driving on the motorway. Intermittent power loss. Miss firing of the turbo!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    maf and map are 2 different parts . the map measures absolute pressure and shuts down the turbo , maf controls fueling etc ... S66MJETDI is correct in what he/she said .

0 0 0

5. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    maf and map are 2 different parts . the map measures absolute pressure and shuts down the turbo , maf controls fueling etc ... S66MJETDI is correct in what he/she said .
    I don't particularly care if the opinion is technically right or wrong . I'm more concerned with answering the original question with a solution of the symptoms. The original poster can ignore the advice (a cheap fix that works). Had I taken the experts advice I would had to pay hundreds for a turbo!

0 0 0

6. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So what did you do?

0 0 0

7. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't particularly care if the opinion is technically right or wrong . I'm more concerned with answering the original question with a solution of the symptoms. The original poster can ignore the advice (a cheap fix that works). Had I taken the experts advice I would had to pay hundreds for a turbo!
    Pleased for you. Not only are you the first person I am aware of to have a failing MAF throw the car into Limp...... but you have also CHANCED across the solution.

0 1 0

8. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a cheap fix you say ??? 5 mafs over 7 years at £80 a pop £400. I haven't changed a maf yet in 123000 miles and only had problems following a remap which upped the boost in the system and the MAP didn't like it , the parts I replaced to cure limp mode cost me in total £ 78 , I think he should avoid your advise and listen to others with a lot more posts than 4 and a lot more knowledge of the passat tbh .

0 0 0

9. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

and if you've changed it 5 times in 7 yrs i reckon you should get an original vw one then

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

0 0 0

10. Re: Turbo Over boost- Limp mode 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a cheap fix you say ??? 5 mafs over 7 years at £80 a pop £400. I haven't changed a maf yet in 123000 miles and only had problems following a remap which upped the boost in the system and the MAP didn't like it , the parts I replaced to cure limp mode cost me in total £ 78 , I think he should avoid your advise and listen to others with a lot more posts than 4 and a lot more knowledge of the passat tbh .

+1

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast