1. MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, am new to the forum and looking for your advise please.

I have just bought a new Mk7 Glf 2.0TDI 150BHP and am really pleased with it.
    Only problem is im getting about 49MPG compared to the listed values of 68.9mpg combined.

I completely understand that the 68.9 is never obtainable in the real world, especially as im only about 1000 miles into the car, but 49mpg is no where near. The company i work for pay my mileage at 92% of the listed mpg, so about 62mpg, leaving me paying to drive my car for work meetings, which at the moment is about 600 miles a week!!

What makes it even more confusing is I drove a new scirroco 2.0TDI 140BHP towards the end of last year, this had a listed mpg of 62.9 and I got about 55mpg, much more realistic.

Has anyone else come across this problem on the new golf??? what would your advice/thoughts be??

I have spoken to the garage who delivered the car, they are claiming after testing it there's nothing wrong, although off the record told me they're having the same problem with lots of vw mk7's, to the extent the salesmen has given his back.
    I've also placed a call with VW customer care who say they will investigate, but not feeling very confidant.

Any help, or thoughts/guidance would be appreciated...

0 0 0

2. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What sort of speeds are you doing? (assume motorway commute given the mileage?)

Also, it is only 1k in, some engines can take a while to bed in and reach their optimum efficiency so I wouldn't panic just yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

0 0 0

3. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply Eshrules.
    As you say i'm doing lots of motorway miles, on average about 75mph.
    I tried putting it into Eco mode and sitting at 70mh, i.e. more realistic to what the test would be, and it reached 51mpg.....

0 0 0

4. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1111 View Post
    I tried putting it into Eco mode and sitting at 70mh, i.e. more realistic to what the test would be, and it reached 51mpg.....
    What I would suggest, as a decent comparison is a tank on your normal driving style, use the fuel used/mileage covered to calculate your mpg and repeat for a more economical driving style, keeping your speed closer to 60 than 70 and observing the usual fuel saving saving techniques.

If your mpg doesn't improve significantly with the latter, even allowing for bedding in, I would suggest either something is amiss or the figures being touted are more inaccurate than usual, which wouldn't be a surprise given a recent news piece I read regards vehicle manufacturers increasingly extreme testing procedures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

0 0 0

5. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1111 View Post
    Using cruise control by any chance? I did a 500mile round trip from Leeds to south London and back on Monday. Car had 30miles on he clock when I set off. Obv combined city/motorway driving. No cruise control and average motorway speed of 78mph. I averaged 58mpg from start to finish. Cruise control is not the most fuel efficient way to drive any car. Using your right foot is.
    DaveB

0 0 0

6. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB666 View Post
    Using cruise control by any chance? I did a 500mile round trip from Leeds to south London and back on Monday. Car had 30miles on he clock when I set off. Obv combined city/motorway driving. No cruise control and average motorway speed of 78mph. I averaged 58mpg from start to finish. Cruise control is not the most fuel efficient way to drive any car. Using your right foot is.
    Hi Dave, if only I was using cruise control. Unfortunately that's broken and the garage are having to take the car back in for a second time when the technician who is trained on this new ACC is available in couple of weeks.
    The 58mpg seems far more realistic to what i was expecting/need to get to if im not gonna go broke driving for work, out of interest was the golf you drove the 150bhp version???

0 0 0

7. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Nexus, will try this out next week and see what it does, generally i think i drive fairly economically, but as you say i'll then know if its my driving style or the car itself and can then prove to VW....
    problem long run is its not realistic for me to drive in my job at 60mph, so not sure what to do....

0 0 0

8. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OP

I suppose the real issue in your circumstances is how much your company pay you for each of the actual 62 miles they calculate on .
    Its early days yet mileage wise so I expect my 48-55 mpg (varied driving) to improve gradually as the car beds in.
    From my experience of VW diesels they get better & better MPG wise and I have always managed to get ' official combined ' mpg once properly run in. I am talking 10 to 15k miles...

0 0 0

9. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by algarve View Post
    OP

I suppose the real issue in your circumstances is how much your company pay you for each of the actual 62 miles they calculate on .
    Its early days yet mileage wise so I expect my 48-55 mpg (varied driving) to improve gradually as the car beds in.
    From my experience of VW diesels they get better & better MPG wise and I have always managed to get ' official combined ' mpg once properly run in. I am talking 10 to 15k miles...
    In terms of losing money on business miles think your completely right algarve.
    Any other company ive worked for before have paid at the revenue approved rates, which for this car would be 15 pence per mile.
    This company use a calculation of 92% of listed combined mpg, and then use the AA average uk fuel price rates, which for Feb meant it worked out at 10.38p per mile, when it cost me about 14.5 pence per mile.....

Really hoping as you say it is a bedding in issue.. that said it gonna's cost me a lot of money to find out if its good once it reaches 10 to 15k miles

anyone know if I can return the car to vw on the basis of of this mpg issue??? as think in this instance choosing an economical bluemotion vehicle may not be the right idea, might be better off with a car that's more likely to perform closer to its listed mpg,
    if VW would take it back that is....

0 0 0

10. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    i seriously doubt vw would take it back, especially as it hasn't been fully run-in yet.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast