1. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just thought I would dig this up.... Again ;-)

I have a 2.0 gt 150 and it had terrible fuel economy from the start.
    The car is a 2013 and we bought it 8 months old.
    My problem was the same as dickt has described.
    Poor fuel efficiency, poor performance and constant dpf regens.

21 months on......
    I took the car in for other repairs in July and the car suddenly started performing correctly, easily hitting 60mpg and 50 round town.

My guess is the defeat device was faulty and we were stuck in clean mode, hence the never ending dpf regens.

Only my opinion, has anybody else had the problem mysteriously disappear?

on my next visit I asked the girl in service what the fix was, she replied "just an engine management update".
    Last edited by jonny123; 26-11-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Mistake

0 0 0

2. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny123 View Post
    Just thought I would dig this up.... Again ;-)

I have a 2.0 gt 150 and it had terrible fuel economy from the start.
    The car is a 2013 and we bought it 8 months old.
    My problem was the same as dickt has described.
    Poor fuel efficiency, poor performance and constant dpf regens.

21 months on......
    I took the car in for other repairs in July and the car suddenly started performing correctly, easily hitting 60mph and 50 round town.

My guess is the defeat device was faulty and we were stuck in clean mode, hence the never ending dpf regens.

Only my opinion, has anybody else had the problem mysteriously disappear?

on my next visit I asked the girl in service what the fix was, she replied "just an engine management update".
    I'm sure there's many more viable reasons for that issue.

How come it took 21 months to get the issue fixed? If I'd bought an 8 month old car that wasn't performing as it should, it would be back at the dealer to have it repaired.

You need to be careful doing 50/60 'round town' too - is it still 3 points and a fine?

0 0 0

3. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi esh, I meant mpg. :-)
    I was constantly back to the dealers (sytners vw leeds) but it was just no good, they wouldn't listen and just offered to do back to back testing.

I spoke to vwuk and was told that I didn't know how to drive the car and it belongs to vw finance and I was simply leasing it.

Obviously I can't say for sure but it would explain the lack of a fix 2 years ago.

0 0 0

4. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No improvement in mine. We probably do too many short journeys, so the car doesn't get to its optimum operating conditions. The short journeys then reduce the "average".
    However, my original point remains the same. My style has not changed, my journeys have not changed, but this Mk 7 is no better than my Mk 5.

0 0 0

5. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Eshrules, it just seems odd that I have spent over a year and a half moaning about it everytime I visit sytners vw leeds.
    The fuel efficiency was my main issue but even with that aside the car has been a nightmare with other issues.
    I went in for the front suspension repairing in July, I made a point of telling them I'm very unhappy with the car and will be getting rid when the warranty expires (mid Jan).
    When I collected it later that day it was awesome, just like the mk5 gt 140 I traded in but better fuel efficiency, exactly what I wanted in the first place.

Seems odd it would take so long to develop a software update for a problem vw knew existed then a few weeks later the defeat device scandal broke.

Dickt, I questioned the girl in service about the repair and she said engine management update.
    I will pm my reg no if you want to take into the dealers and request the same update...

Short journeys or long, makes no difference now, I can exceed 50mpg just nipping into town, about 5 miles.

The mk7 is better than the mk5 but it took a while for vw to acknowledge there was a problem that needed rectifying.

Not as reliable though but again service have been brilliant and really are trying their best to rectify a few long standing issues.

I still don't fancy owning it when it's out of warranty though.

0 0 0

6. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Eshrules, I did a bit more research and came up with this....

VW 'finds another software problem affecting fuel consumption' - Telegraph

Looks like my theory could have been blown.
    Still a longstanding problem that has taken the defeat device scandal to expose though.

Take it into service dickt, you have nothing to lose mate.

0 0 0

7. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All. Just wondering if anyone ever got to the bottom of whether there was a real problem that an ECU update resolved, and what version the update was?

I've just bought a Golf mk7 2.0 TDI (150) DSG MY2014 with 10,000 miles on the clock. I too am getting terrible MPG driving very moderately at 70 MPH on the motorway and dual carriageway for around 24 miles, then around 10 miles on A roads at 50 MPH. Not normally much traffic either so not much sitting around, stopping and starting, or accelerating hard. I'm only getting around 52 MPG max. My previous car was a Golf mk6 TDI (110) manual and I used to get around 65-70 MPG with the same driving style. I can't believe a new engine would be so much less efficient. If I was ragging it around I could understand it, but just cruising on the motorway at a constant speed, it doesn't make sense. The DSG shouldn't loose that much either.

Hoping it's just an ECU update required, but not sure how to check if it has it already. Any suggestions?

0 0 0

8. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 2013 2.0tdi dsg is still averaging about 45mpg. It went back to the garage a number of times. There was no relevant ECU update. I gave up moaning to VW and to the garage. It was clearly my fault that my Mk 7 had worse mpg than my Mk 5 tdi 170 dsg.

0 0 0

9. Re: MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would say you are not doing too bad at 52mpg with 40 PS more than your Mk6 (110) manual and with DSG.
    Its the 1.6 TDI model that will give you 60+MPG.

0 0 0

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051