1. 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We are looking at the new passat estate, and mostly do short journeys 2-3 miles, sometimes 10-15miles, and 7 times a year long journeys 100-200 miles. My old diesel (peugot 407 1.6diesel) hated the short journeys, will i get the same problems from the new passat estate, and therefore better to get the petrol, however the only size (here in ireland) is the 1.4TSI, this seems quite small for a family estate? i am saving €3000 in the price difference, and i do 10k miles a year.
    Any opinions.
    resale value prob lower in petrol aswell.
    Thanks william

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my opinion if you do mostly short journeys you would probably benefit more from the 1.4TSI. In order to save money on fuel with diesels you usually have to be driving quite a lot of miles. Up to two months ago I drove about 40miles to and from work with my Passat 6speed 2.0TDI. Since I have stopped working I only drive maybe 6 or 7miles a day around town and Im using close to the same amount of diesel that I used to do on the 40mile run.

Usually petrol cars are better for short runs or driving around town and diesels are better on travelling distances. The TSI is probably cheaper to buy than the TDI, the tax would be lower and you wouldn't be doing much long distance driving so my recommendation is the 1.4TSI.

When you say your 407HDI hated the short journeys do you mean it was poor on diesel?

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It was poor on diesel but what i was actually meaning was the emissions went haywire, and the exhaust got blocked up or performed badly because the converter never got hot enough to burn off the fumes, therefore this affected the performance, ie sluggish driving and always giving black fumes from the exhaust. I have now learnt that this is from not doing any relatively long journeys and the exhaust doesn't heat up and work efficiently.
    w

Am i right in thinking a petrol engine will last as long as diesel if they are both looked after?

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A mate of mine recently purchased a 407 1.6HDI and he said its not bad on diesel but at low revs the car is very uncomfortable to drive.

Generally speaking diesel engines last longer than petrol engines but then again a neighbour of mine has a 1.8 petrol avensis with just under 300,000miles on it with very little trouble which is a huge amount. Once the car is relatively looked after and serviced when its ment to be it should last well. Many of the new diesel cars have alot of trouble with things like turbos and dual mass flywheels which are very costly to repair also

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea, exactly, ive spent a fortune on the 407 1.6hdi, so will test drive the 1.4tsi and see how it goes, kids still quite small, so hopefully the torque will be good enough, and as you say, look after it and it could go on forever. Have read the car reviews and all seem okay, not exciting drive but does the job.
    many thanks for your opinions! very helpful!

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no problem...best of luck with it!

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the chance to drive the 1.4 tsi unit on a weekend and my comparation will be with my 140 pd unit.Power less ,but definetely in there if you are not in a big rush,very quiet compare to the diesel,economical i would say ,you can achieve the same figures as the pd unit.As you only do 10k a year i would say to give it a try,have you considered a golf it's smaller and definetely will suit this engine.

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I test drove the tsi today and had 3 adults aboard and it ran really well, ideal for what i need. had decided to go with it, 7 gears and 122bhp, that'll do me!
    thanks for the message!!
    looking forward to getting car after easter
    happy driving

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.4TSI DSG versus 2.0TDI DSG 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    I can't comment with any authority on the Passat, but I have experience of both set ups in a Golf.
    I bought my petrol one when I moved to a city in anticipation of more short journeys.
    The differences are as you would probably expect. More obvious torque with the diesel, but the petrol is way more refined and well matched to the car.
    I'm no longer interested in out and out speed but both are quick enough.
    The most interesting thing I found is that that the petrol is more economical than I anticipated and I wouldn't swap back to a diesel even if my circumstances were to change.
    Mk 6 Steel Grey Match 1.4 TSi DSG
    (formerly Mk6 Steel Grey SE TDI 140 DSG)

0 0 0