Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hello All,

I have just purchased Audi A4 1.9 TDI Avant 1999 (Moved on from my trusted Audi 80 1.9 TDI She will be for sale in the next few days)

A beautiful car, but I have a question or two

Were is the rear washer bottle? (Audi 80 Behind panel at rear of car, but can not see one hear on A4)
    Were is the rear washer motor? (I can hear it running)
    I can hear the rear washer motor, but no water is sprayed on to rear window?
    What route does the rear washer feed pipe take?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it sorted Cheers to all

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 Avant - Rear Washer Bottle / Motor / Washer Pipe routing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    The A4 only uses one water reservoir, its located behind the wing on the passenger side. You can access it be removing the wheel arch liner, etc. Held in place with multiple stainless steel torx bolts.

If you can hear the rear wiper motor - chances are the pipe has either detached, or more than likely the brass pipe the runs from the connector to the jet nozzle has sheared. You need to strip out the rear trim to investigate. There is a VAG kit to replace the pipe, but quite honestly, the motor probably has water ingress... so it's only a matter of time. When removing the trim take your time and lever it out... don't use brute force, or you'll break connector clips, or worse crack the plastic trim.

From the water reservoir the pipe enters the car in the passenger footwell. There is a connection here next to the electrics (nice one Audi). It then traverses to the driver's side and can be accessed (again another connection) at the cubby hole in the boot area. Feel with your hand above. It then goes through the hinge on the tailgate and to the wiper motor.

I glued the connectors on mine with epoxy. The break open due to cold weather, frozen pipes, etc. Second hand motors can be purchased from Ebay or a breakers yard. You can buy new... but take a seat if buying from Audi!
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)
    2012 A4 Allroad Quattro 2.0 TDI (55k)
    2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE (166k) sold
    2001 B5 A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport, (173k), sold
    1995 B4 80 1.9 TDI Avant SE, (175k), sold

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 Avant - Rear Washer Bottle / Motor / Washer Pipe routing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi

Thanks spartacus 68 I am hoping to have a look at the week end (Weather permitting)

The brass pipe you mention runs up through the wiper shaft, from the inside to the outside?

The motor probably has water ingress - do you mean the wiper motor?

Thanks ian

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 Avant - Rear Washer Bottle / Motor / Washer Pipe routing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Yes the brass pipe runs from the wiper motor up to the water jet nozzle. It breaks casing water to find its way into the motor, and effectively causing it to malfunction. I replaced the motor with a replacement unit from Ebay. There will be a VAG number on the part, so double check before ordering as there are a few variations out there.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 Avant - Rear Washer Bottle / Motor / Washer Pipe routing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi

Removed boot lid lining, removed washer pipe from connector on motor.
    Removed nearside front wheel/arch lining, removed washer bottle, removed rear washer pipe and tried to blow air through it, air did NOT come out other end

It feels like the pipe is blocked / squashed some where

To check were pipe comes in to car passenger footwell do I need to remove the carpet?

Checked rear cubby hole pipe connected OK (in boot area)

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 Avant - Rear Washer Bottle / Motor / Washer Pipe routing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi

spartacus 68 was correct on both comments:

"There is a connection here next to the electrics (nice one Audi)" Correct this had come apart soaking the carpet!!
    "More than likely the brass pipe the runs from the connector to the jet nozzle has sheared" Correct wiper shaft and gears covered in rust coloured grease

Connector, glued and clips on it.

Rear wiper motor happy Ebay hunting to come, when I get paid

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 Avant - Rear Washer Bottle / Motor / Washer Pipe routing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Where the water pipe comes into the car in the passenger footwell, you need to remove the plastic kick trim at the side. Pretty sure it's held in place with a couple of Philips screws. There might be a plastic tab covering the holes. Then pull the carpet forward towards you. It doesn't need much leverage. The pipe is black, and there's a connection here. The other connection is in the avant boot area. Open the cubby hole at the side (driver's side) and feel directly above. That's the final connection, other than the one on the rear wiper motor. Good luck.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 Avant - Rear Washer Bottle / Motor / Washer Pipe routing 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi spartacus 68

Thanks for your help and assistance, pipe come apart at connector in passenger footwell - Well sited next to loads of electrical connectors

Brass pipe in wiper spindle bust

New motor on way thanks to ebay

Cheers for all your help

0 0 0