Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

I've noticed last few months that my oil consumption has increased markedly. Used to be approx 0.5 - 1.0 litre over 15000 miles (pretty good) - now have used just over a litre in 3000 miles!! (2.0 TDI BKP 2006; 115k miles)

I've checked the fuel filter and took a fuel sample from the filter bowl (suspecting the tandem pump) - filter a bit black but soot, rather than oil - and the fuel is clear. So tandem pump is OK.

Had new injectors 18 months ago from VAG under the recall - so wouldn't expect the injector seals to be gone either.

Dropped the undertray and engine is bone dry - no leaks / weeps anywhere....but noticed the intercooler boost pipes on the NSF looked damp with oil at the joint. Disconnected the pipes (both sides of the intercooler) and there was engine oil inside. Not huge amounts, but enough to put a couple of drips on the floor when the pipes were disconnected.

...so, I'm assuming my oil seals in the turbo are U/S.I've been quoted £480+vat trade for a recon turbo from CES.

Question is - can I get new seals and clean turbo up and fit new seals; or is this a waste of time. I have also read that new / recon turbos have uprated seals?

I'm a competent mechanic - but haven't ever stripped down a turbo and refurbished.

Advice / opinions welcome !

Rich

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil Consumption increased + oil in intercooler pipes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There will always be a small amount of oil in the intercooler pipes due to the engine being sealed and crankcase vapours are recycled back into the intake circuit - intercooler pipes are the lowest point also.

Having said that TDi turbo's are a common failure item and it may be that the seals / bearing have worn out and oil is leaking past - has the exhuast become more smoky or blue in colour ?

New turbo's from VW iirc were in the region of 1000 gbp plus so for 480 that is ok plus I'm assuming you'll get a parts warranty with it also ?

When fitting a new/recon turbo I normally also replace the oil feed and return pipes to make sure that lubrication is spot on also - you'll need new gaskets for these pipes also.
    Had MKV GTI, Now Ford Falcon

0 0 0