Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs2009 View Post
    I'm still very nervous about the electric brake. There have been so many reports of it failing in VAG cars for my liking. What happens if you get a flat battery for example ? Presumably, you can neither apply nor release the brake ?
    I would assume that it is designed to be always on and that it requires electricity to be taken off the handbrake. That way in the event of a power failure your car isn't rolling off somewhere.

That's how I'd design it anyway!

0 0 0

2. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Assuming the Golf mk7 is using a similiar EPB to the Passat CC it looks like it remains 'on' in the event of a flat battery;
    VWVortex.com - 2010 CC Sport: Dead Battery - Parking Brake is Engaged
    DaveB

0 0 0

3. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Unfortunately not. The 1.6 TDI comes with the cheaper 7-speed DSG. Only the 2.0 TDI gets the 6-speed.
    As JTW tested a manual car I referred to the manual gearbox situation. A brief test in March What Car? confirms the A3 1.6TDI gets the six speed manual or 7 speed DSG.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

4. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB666 View Post
    Assuming the Golf mk7 is using a similiar EPB to the Passat CC it looks like it remains 'on' in the event of a flat battery;
    VWVortex.com - 2010 CC Sport: Dead Battery - Parking Brake is Engaged
    Thanks for that.

The post says:
    "There are only two ways to manually disengage the parking brake, both involve crawling under the back of the car with some tools:
    1) Unbolt the parking brake motor, mounted to the backside of each caliper,, and use a power-driver tool to retract the pads.
    2) Pull the electrical connector off each parking brake motor, and apply 12VDC from a portable jump-starter (has a 12V battery inside) to the motor contacts, to retract the pads. If the pads don't retract, reverse the polarity of the applied 12V.

A full description (with pics) can be found in the B6 Passat forum, for a do-it-yourself write-up to replace the rear brake pads without using VAG-COM. (VAG-COM can be used to command the motors to retract the pads...but you need a good car battery)
    "

I'm even less impressed with the new parking brake now !
    Golf 1.4 GT TSI ACT, Pacific blue, Shetland alcantara, Climatronic, Winter pack.

0 0 0

5. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that.

The post says:
    "There are only two ways to manually disengage the parking brake, both involve crawling under the back of the car with some tools:
    1) Unbolt the parking brake motor, mounted to the backside of each caliper,, and use a power-driver tool to retract the pads.
    2) Pull the electrical connector off each parking brake motor, and apply 12VDC from a portable jump-starter (has a 12V battery inside) to the motor contacts, to retract the pads. If the pads don't retract, reverse the polarity of the applied 12V.

A full description (with pics) can be found in the B6 Passat forum, for a do-it-yourself write-up to replace the rear brake pads without using VAG-COM. (VAG-COM can be used to command the motors to retract the pads...but you need a good car battery)
    "

I'm even less impressed with the new parking brake now !
    That assumes the parking brake is identical.

How often do people really suffer a full-on totally flat battery? This is generally due to poor maintenance or failing to disconnect the battery when not using the car for long periods.

Surely the easiest way to resolve the problem would be to charge the battery or get a new one? Using powertools on the underside of the car seems extreme and unnecessary.

0 0 0

6. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Dan View Post
    Surely the easiest way to resolve the problem would be to charge the battery or get a new one? Using powertools on the underside of the car seems extreme and unnecessary.
    Perhaps, but surely the point is that using an electric parking brake is completely unnecessary. It's deliberately designing in unreliability.
    This 'feature' and the idiotic location of the (single disc) CD player makes it increasing unlikely that I will buy one (or the equally afflicted A3).
    Golf 1.4 GT TSI ACT, Pacific blue, Shetland alcantara, Climatronic, Winter pack.

0 0 0

7. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The fact its electronic doesn't really bother me. If it breaks then I'll call the RAC (although I have left my mk6 golf parked up for 6 weeks over Winter and it still started perfectly!). I don't think any flat battery issues will affect the 'first generation' owners.

I have an issue with the fact I can no longer 'enjoy' the snow
    DaveB

0 0 0

8. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To the OP - if you test a 1.4 ACT or 2.0 TDI GT Mk7, I think you'll find it's at least as responsive and fun to drive as your Mk6. I took the 1.4 for a spin and found it preferable to a Mk6 2.0tdi GT I had a while back: better ride, better progression in the steering weight, and the refinement of the 1.4 petrol has to be experienced to be believed....

0 0 0

9. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    At first I thought that the GT was a much better buy than the SE, as it comes with a lot of extra spec. However, I've just costed up the two cars on the configurator (1.4 SE 122 and 1.4 GT 140), with the options that I would want and as near the same spec as possible, and the GT is still about £1200 more expensive. So that's £1200 for +18bhp, some alcantara on the seats, and shiny black instead of brushed finish dash.
    The 1.4 in the GT is a peach, and I would expect the residuals to reflect that. When you specced up your SE, did you add 17's, basic nav, front fogs, front and rear parking sensors ? Those things alone cost more than the price difference between SE and GT.

0 0 0

10. Re: MK7 1.6tdi BMT SE mini review 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8toa6convert View Post
    When you specced up your SE, did you add 17's, basic nav, front fogs, front and rear parking sensors ? Those things alone cost more than the price difference between SE and GT.
    Yes I did, and no they don't.

For the GT 5 door man:
    Basic price = £22960
    Met paint = £500
    2 zone A/C = £400
    (17" wheels, alcant seats, SD nav, parking sensors, fogs, mirror pack, mats - all standard)
    Total = £23860

For the SE 5 door man:
    Basic price = £19645
    17" Madrid alloy wheels = £580
    Met paint = £500
    Carpet mats = £80
    2 zone A/C = £400
    Front fogs = £240
    Mirror pack = £95
    SD nav = £735
    Parking sensors = £445
    Total = £22720

So the GT is £1140 more expensive, for 18bhp more and Alcantara seats.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast