Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi all,
    I'm considering replacing my coolant temp sensor, can anyone help with location??

I've looked and looked and struggle to find info so any help is appreciated.

As stated in previous posts, car seems to have lost some of its power, almost as if its struggling to breathe and fuel consumption has
    went from pretty good to terrible recently. At 99k and with no CEL no codes etc, car serviced regularly and looked after I'm leaning towards
    the MAF and coolant sensor.

Hope to hear & thanks in advance

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ElsaWeb - Parts of cooling system

Back left of the block as you stand at the grille

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 0 0

3. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    PM me and I send you the drawing. Can you read .mdi files. Regards Peter

1 0 0

4. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Peter D - Extremely helpful as always, thanks very much.

Sam - help from an unexpected quarter and very quick too, much appreciated

LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

5. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Note. On this model the sensor is a 2 pin device and if the temp gauge indicates 88/90 degrees then the sensor is working. The signal in connected directly to the 'Diesel direct injection system control unit' and a signal sent from there to the gauge. If the Temp is correct then you need to test the Fuel Temperature Sensor. A diagnostic check would be in order as it can check both senors and the MAF by using live data. Regards Peter

1 0 0

6. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I need your email address to send the drawing if you still require it. Regards Peter

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi Peter, thanks but Sam has already provided the info in the post prior.......your offer / help appreciated as always.

Looking at the schematic then checking the engine itself, the coolant sensor looks like a bear to change?
    God you'd think they'd make these kind of items a little easier to change as they are known to fail.

Any words of wisdom on the replacement method that can save hassle / grief most welcome.....lol

0 0 0

8. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Jim,

Check your email sent you a file with P/N's, diagram... may help you...

I'm inclined to go with a live data scan like Peter D saying Jim...

Like my EGR blockage was effecting air mass readings but not showing as a fault code...

ATB
    Gup

1 1 0

9. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Gup, an absolute mine of information once again mate, thanks so much!

You truly are one of the gentleman of the forum, great really informative posts ALWAYS long and indepth c/w with pictures and or videos.......An awesome member to have onboard VWAF

I know that Peter and you are both right.....I know myself that I need a diagnostic run and am trying to diagnose myself prior to going in to the dealers next week, for a costly run on the diagnostics. I am a big fan of the dealers don't get me wrong, but like most people things are tight right now and if there's any way I can save £££ on diagnostics + fitting charges, I have to explore that option.

I know that low on power and high fuel consumption can be attributed to a few things, and that the coolant sensor + MAF could have their part to play.....The Lambda sensor G39 is now also a possible culprit I guess?

To be fair and rather than throw parts at it I need a live scan. Don't know if we have anyone with the kit and knowledge in the Glasgow area, I'll need to check.

Failing that I have no option I guess but to wait and get it into the dealers as booked for next week.

Thanks for your help guys, appreciated as always

1 1 0

10. Re: Coolant temp sensor location? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    No worries Jim, no bother for a top bloke like yourself ... your making me ...

What about a VCDS scan from a member close to you?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast