Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2001 1.8t avant

ok so after hours of googling and searching these forums ive found a number of people describing the same fault i seem to have with my central locking. but not a single one of the threads ever concluded with the fault being identifyed and repaired so ive decided to start my own thread and try to get it answered once and for all.....

so i will start by describing the fault.

my remote locking doesnt work at all but for now im not too worryed about that. when i lock my car with the key in the drivers door lock or the boot lock the central locking works and the whole car locks and the alarm activates. when i unlock the car with the key the central locking dosnt work from either the drivers door or the boot lock and the alarm does not deactivate so when i open the door the the alarm is tripped. to avoid the alarm tripping i double lock the drivers door to deactivate the alarm so it dosnt trip when i get in.
    the unlock and lock button on the driver door card will lock the car but not unlock it. i can open all the doors from inside as long as the alarm isnt tripped, if it is tripped the dead locks prevent the doors from being opened from inside as the wife found out today when she got locked inside the car, she just thinks the car dosnt like her and is trying to kill her, im not so sure.

ive got lots of fault codes stored so first i cleared them out so i can start from scratch as i dont know how long them faults have been stored. i ran the output tests in vagcom and when running the crash signal output test the central locking does unlock the doors and the fuel cap. when it runs the door lock output test they all lock fine. and again when i run the door unlock output test they all unlock. so has anybody had this problem and sorted it? or has anybody got and ideas? central locking does not unlock from the key or the interior door card button but does when controlled by vagcom? im leaning towards wiring break or power issue. i got wiring diagrams and im gonna try to check through methodiclly but theres a shed load of wiring to go through so of it is very thin so i think it will take some time
    Last edited by cobblers_uk; 21-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you use measuring blocks in central locking to see the position of the locks, and the key switch? It sounds like it's either a microswitch in the door lock, or one of the wires in the flexible conduit in the A pillar (these wires flex every time you open the door, and can eventually break)
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 0 0

3. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    The key only opens the doors without disarming alarm, that is if it is the same system as the A3
    My way is to turn ignition on within 30 seconds. This opens remaining doors and turns alarm off.
    I did not get the remote key with car and I spent hours trying to find out why only drivers was opening with key
    I then found out that this is normal.
    It is the key fob that is required to unlock central locking
    If the key fob does not work it may possibly be operating like the spare key
    Regards
    Michael.

0 0 0

4. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micheal balbrig View Post
    The key only opens the doors without disarming alarm, that is if it is the same system as the A3
    My way is to turn ignition on within 30 seconds. This opens remaining doors and turns alarm off.
    I did not get the remote key with car and I spent hours trying to find out why only drivers was opening with key
    I then found out that this is normal.
    It is the key fob that is required to unlock central locking
    If the key fob does not work it may possibly be operating like the spare key
    Regards
    Michael.
    in my car though the key in the ignition does not cancel the alarm we can drive down the road with the alarm active. the only way we can open the doors is with the key from outside or the inner handles. even if i get the key in the ignition within 10 secs it doesnt cancel it.

0 0 0

5. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you read this? May be some help? Has it been like it since you've owned it or only started recently?

B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ

Neil

0 0 0

6. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crx16 View Post
    Have you read this? May be some help? Has it been like it since you've owned it or only started recently?

B5 A4 Central Locking FAQ

Neil
    thanks for the info ive just read through but from what i could tell the a4 uses a pneumatic central locking system. correct me if im wrong but my car seems to use motors or actuators one in each door??

hi yeah its been like that since ive owned it, i have got two remote key fobs with it. but i havent been able to make the car learn them. there not original keys one is audi the other vw. ive tryed following the instructions on ross tech but nothing happens. it dosnt learn either key. i cleared out the old remotes so it shows 0 stored remotes i enter the new value of 2 for the 2 keys then press test the press the 2 remotes button for 1 sec like it asks, i get no acknowlegement of the remote button being pressed. i press save and confirm but neither remote are detected. so am i right in thinking that its normal for the drivers door key will lock the car and arm the remote, but unlocking it in the same place does not disarm the alarm? this is normal?

0 0 0

7. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry just noticed i hadnt even said what model and year a6 i own. its a 2001 1.8t avant. from what i can see in the wiring diagrams there are 9 wires attached to the drivers door locking motor. there are 2 motors per door 1 in the tailgate and one in the fuel cap.

the wiring from the drivers door lock seems to be 3 wires to the motors, maybe a locking motor and dead lock motor? then there are 5 switch contacts. i can identify the microswitch for door open-closed as the green and yellow wire goes off to the footwell lamp the door edge lamp and the entry lamp and then on to the instrumentation control module.

so the other 4 contacts must be key lock and unlock and maybe the door card switch for lock and unlock does that sound right?

0 0 0

8. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i ve been trying to sort my A6 out with a similar fault,my n/s/f floor got waterlogged in the summer and the car does some real odd things with hazards staying on and alarm going off ect,since removing the ccm in the passenger side footwell and drying out the connecting plugs (ccm want wet inside) the only thing i cant get ot work now is remote locking,i used vcds to reinstall the remotes but after test and pressing remote the car wont learn the key,its a real pain but i will get to the bottom of it but its been snow stopped play for the last week.

0 0 0

9. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok so ive done some work on the car today and made some progress. firstly i noticed the drivers door wasnt bring the interior light on or showing on the lcd display. i stripped the door down and removed the lock. i tested the microswitch and found that the cam on the door lock wasnt pushing the switch. the switch would work if a pressed it manually. i removed the switch and removed the locating lugs the superglued it back onto the latch slightly closer than it was originally and superglued the retaining clip to try and hold in in place. i reassembled the door and now the led display recognised the door being opened and closed. i know that this i a temperery fix but i didnt have another lock to fit so its better than nothing...

i checked for fault codes and found the following.

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 962 258 H
    Component and/or Version: Central Lock/Alarm D34
    Software Coding: 07099
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00050
    Additional Info: 4B0962258H Central Lock/Alarm D34
    7 Faults Found:
    01559 - Drivers Door
    58-10 - Can't Lock - Intermittent
    01560 - Passenger Door
    01561 - Left Rear Door
    01562 - Right Rear Door
    01560 - Passenger Door
    60-00 - Won't Safe
    01562 - Right Rear Door
    60-10 - Won't Safe - Intermittent
    01562 - Right Rear Door
    61-10 - Won't De-Safe - Intermittent

i have read in the owners hand book that if a door lock is safe the central locking button will be deactivated. i cleared the fault codes and the door unlock button started working. i got out of the car and locked the door the central locking locked the car and turned on the alarm. i then unlocked the door and got back in, i tried the door unlock button but it had stopped working again. from the faULT codes i decided to try and disable the safe mode from the door locks. i found this coding table for the ccm. im not sure its correct for my car as it seems to be for a4's and passat's but i made a note of my original code in changed it to 15291 from the options below.

+00001 = GB-Alarm (not USA)
    +00002 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning System (Blink)
    +00004 = Selective Central Locking (SCL)
    +00008 = Anti-Theft Warning System
    +00016 = Rear Lid Release Locking at 5 km/h
    +00032 = Central Locking at 15 km/h (or 10 mph)
    +00064 = Comfort Function via Remote Control (not USA)
    +00128 = Right Hand Drive (RHD)
    +00256 = Avant
    +00512 = Confirmation Close via Remote (1x Blink)
    +01024 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning Sytem Horn Activation
    +02048 = Door-/Window Regulator Logic
    +04096 = Thatcham Anti-Theft Warning (not USA)
    +08192 = No Safe-Function
    +16384 = Side Windows with Insulated Glass

1+2+8+16+32+128+256+512+2048+4096+8192.

this has now disabled the safe function so the coding table seems to be working with my ccm. i do now get a fault code for unknown component which i presume is the safe part of the door lock, however i also now have some control of the central locking again. my door mounted lock and un lock button works, the boot door locks at 5kph and the doors lock at 15kph. when i stop the car and remove the key the central locks all unlock. when i unlock the door with the key the drivers door only unlocks and the alarm does not disable, but as soon as i turn on the ignition the alarm disables and the doors unlock. so from the fault codes it looks like theres a problem with my right rear door lock and passenger door lock.

are the door locks a audi only or breaker type part or do motor factors sell decent replacments?

0 0 0

10. Re: a6 common central locking fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel63 View Post
    i ve been trying to sort my A6 out with a similar fault,my n/s/f floor got waterlogged in the summer and the car does some real odd things with hazards staying on and alarm going off ect,since removing the ccm in the passenger side footwell and drying out the connecting plugs (ccm want wet inside) the only thing i cant get ot work now is remote locking,i used vcds to reinstall the remotes but after test and pressing remote the car wont learn the key,its a real pain but i will get to the bottom of it but its been snow stopped play for the last week.
    I know this is an old thread, but how did this get fixed?
    I think ive the same problem

0 0 0