Notices

User Tag List

Thread: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro)

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
  1. ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks,

My car has developed an issue with the gearbox - I believe its a ZF 6HP19A. When cold, the car drives perfectly, however after a couple of miles or once warm, there is a judder between 3>4 gears, 4>5 and 5>6 gears. It only does it between 1600>1800 RPM, if I keep the revs higher than that (e.g. in "S"), then it drives fine.

I have scanned it for faults and there are none reported on VCDS.

I booked the car in with the Audi dealership here for diagnostics and they have advised "Gearbox oil change to be carried out + software update of gearbox control unit, reference TPI 2007190/13."

Has anyone else experienced this issue and did the fluid change + software update cure it?
    Also, are there any other sources for buying the gearbox fluid or getting the software update other than Audi?
    Last question - does anyone have a copy of the TPI they can share?

If I can get the Gearbox fluid, I'm tempted to give it a go myself to change it.

Thanks,

Six.

0 0 0

2. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi there,

Not the TPI you mention but maybe of some use:

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Transmiss...ween%203-4.pdf

Oil is quite expensive, had mine changed at 40k and it was £26 a litre. Do recall searching on the specification and finding Shell did one for Land Rover for much less. Will see if I can dig that out.

How many miles has your's done out of interest?

0 0 0

3. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Found this info:

Audi ATF - Audi Transmission Fluid - G 055 005 A2 - ZF - ATF - 1L

or Shell ATF M-1375.4

9 litre capacity, although you won't get all the old stuff out.

From here, but no specific kit or instructions on changing fluid and/or filters.

Audi Automatic Transmission Fluid - How To Change Audi Transmission Fluid

0 0 0

4. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Apole,

Car is now on 144,000 miles. The part number I got from Audi for the oil is G 060 162 A2 and they said 7 litres for the change.

Thanks for the links, I'll do some reading this evening and post what I find

Did you get the oil changed at Audi or somewhere else?

Six.

0 0 0

5. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This is an interesting issue, I had an A6 2.7t Biturbo V6 with a tip box and every time I asked about changing gearbox oil I was told they're sealed and should not be touched, mine had done 155k miles
    I wish they would just be consistent and tell everybody the same advice

Gazza57

0 0 0

6. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi,

Had mine done by a local indi.

Agree on the differing advice, I decided to get mine done every 40k for peace of mind.

1 2 0

7. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi six_or_out,

I had my tiprtonic oil changed when chains where done... I was advised software update to gearbox would be done... but not done , its only a revision number lower but the part no for software match the fixed one in TSB/TPI..

I looked at an updated version of above TSB/TPI Andy has linked and was able to ref software part no/revision/gearbox serial number to satisfy my mind that all is well, if you would like it PM an external email... last time Audi printed it off for me as well...

My personal view currently due to if done wrongly gearbox damage can occur I would go dealer route, Yes initially I had issues with my main dealer but then slowly came around to keeping me sweet & at least you will have some kind of recourse if the worst happen... A mate of mine had his chains done at a main dealer they somehow got something wrong with gearbox refit and damage occured, they gave him a new one FOC ...

Hi Gazz57... some info concerning tiptronic oil here Link:- Second Hand A6

It seems most enthusiasts are doing it every xx,000 miles, ZF also recommend it ...

Mine felt alot better after oil change, this hill I regularly go up in cruise before change 3rd gear after change 4th....

ATB
    Gup

1 0 0

8. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Vehicle type Engine Gearbox
    ECU
    Gearbox code SW Part No. (new) Version (SVM) SVM code
    A6 (C6) 3.0 l TDI 19.04 GZW 4F0910156H 0110 4F02A007 / NA4F37AA01
    A6 (C6) 3.0 l TDI 19.11 HXN 4F1910156S 0030 4F02A007
    A6 (C6) 3.0 l TDI 19.11 HKG 4F1910156B 0050 4F02A009

My VCDS Log...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09L-927-760.lbl
    Part No SW: 4F1 910 156 B HW: 09L 927 156 A
    Component: AG6 09L 3.0lTDI RdW 0030
    Revision: --H01--- Serial number: 4005962
    Coding: 0000001
    Shop #: WSC 02325 785 00200
    VCID: 234FC467E2C232001CE

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my revision is low, going by info below I should have blue ATF so if Dialynx filled it with that all AOK... if not then ...
    Now he advised he would be able to do this update on collection he said sorry our kit can not perform update, due to other issues with the work I just walked away ...

Production change
    1. Optimised ATF (blue) from February 2005 (gearbox numbers A: 4000597, B:95253).
    2. Optimised ATF (green) from March 2008
    (gearbox number: A4, A6, A8: 4432890, Q7: 4040037)

Looking at the VCDS section you've PM'd your in the same boat as me... your part no is relevant... but revision is lower... so as TPI suggest fill with newer oil (green) the software must be updated as per TPI...

So yours going by SW P/N must be a GZW transmission?

I would seriously go with dealer... it may cost the extra £££ but at least you will have peace of mind/support from them IMO...

I wouldn't wanna pay for a transmission on one of these ....
    Last edited by gupsterg; 19-01-2013 at 12:37 AM.

2 2 0

9. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Gup,

thanks for the information above, I think the gearbox in my car has the "yellow" fluid (ZF lifeguard6, Audi G 055005 A1/A2/A6), so I'm thinking if I replace it with like for like, I won't have to do the software update. It's also A LOT cheaper...

I've purchased the oil and will be getting it changed shortly.... let's see what happens

Six.

1 1 0

10. Re: ZF 6HP19A tiptronic gearbox (A6 3.0 TDI Quattro) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hey Six,

Maybe a bit late, but I was doing some research at the weekend and found some more info on the oil.

The tiptronic gearbox oil in our cars I believe is the same as Ravenol 6HP. Conforms to the spec I have written down. Now last year I paid my indi £26 a litre, found this:

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....d=J1D2110%2D12

http://www.ravenol.de/en/produkte/ve...6hp-fluid.html

and available here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-AUTO-...item3a768c5a9d

Somewhat cheaper, but I think you need to have at least 8 litres to hand to be on the safe side.

I'd also be looking to take the sump off and checking for sludge and if there are any magnets that could need cleaning up, so add in a new gasket.

Let us know how you get on and if you don't mind if you agree this oil and spec is correct for next time.

2 2 0

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast