Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy

1. 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi!

I have a VW LT 2.8 TDI. 158hp, 2004 model.

When I drive the car in higher speed. The engine just stop. Seems like if my transmission is in 4th or 5th gear and the engine speed is above 2000 rpm, sometimes up to 2500 rpm it just stops the engine.
    I have to switch of the ignition (to reset the fault) and then the car works just fine again until I starts to press it higher then around 100km/h or 2000 - 2500 rpm.

When this happends I get this fault code:

1 Fault Found:
    17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy
    P1065 -- 35-10 - - - Intermittent

If I clear the code the dianostics reports no error codes. But If I start to drive and pushes the engine a little bit it stops again. And I got the same code. Over and over again. Last time I got a code I could not see the word "intermittent":

1 Fault Found:
    17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy
    P1065 -- 35-00 - -

Since this happends in higher speeds it seems to me that the engine do not get enough diesel. And some kind of sensor give a message to the ecu - the message is to stop the engine.

Have anyone got the same error earlier? I think about the fuel pump, the fuel regulator sensor, some valve? injectors? diesel filter? etc.

Or have anyone some idea about where to start to try to find a solution for this problem?

0 0 0

2. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What did you scan it with? It sounds like it's overboosting and going into limp mode.

0 0 0

3. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    What did you scan it with? It sounds like it's overboosting and going into limp mode.
    I used VCDS Lite.

I am not sure, but I've searched thru the web and readed different suggestions. Most of them are pointing at Fuel pressure sensor, injectors, fuel pump or some kind of fuel pressure regulator or valve or something.

It might be an error connected to the fuel system. And when the engine have to work hardere, especially in higher speeds and the road are climbing then this happends. The engine is not going into some kind of "safe-mode" The engine stops completely. I have to switch the ignition off and on again to continue driving. I can just pull the clutch, switch off the ignition and switch it on again, and after that I just release the clutch and the engine starts again and goes normal all the way until I push the engine again.

What do you mean when you say "limp mode" - is that the same as "safe-mode" ? (NB: There are no warning light in the display when this probelm occurs)

0 0 0

4. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Limp is same as safe mode. I'm trying to look up the codes but nothing as yet

1 0 0

5. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you!

I'll try to describe a little bit more. Where I live there is low temperature outside. stabile around - 10 degrees to - 15 degress the last periode. It seems to me that I have this problem only when it is cold outside. Today it was a little bit warmer and I tested the car in a tunnel where the temperature wasa around 0 degrees. I was not able to get the same error in the tunnel.

Then I drived a little bit North again and the temperature outside was lower. maybe between - 5 to - 10 degrees. When I drive at the high way in around 90 km/h and the engine speed is about 200 rpm everything is okay, but as soon as the road starts to climb and the engine need to give more power to keep the same speed for my vehicle the enginge just stops. So the error is still there. I must turn of the ignition and switch it on again to be able to start the engine. (some kind of reset of ecu I guess).

Since it seems to me that the engine shuts down when it need extra much Diesel and the problem are there especially when it is cold outside I think this might be the problem:

"Diesel filter. There has been a while since last time the Diesel filter was changed. Maybe the filter is full of "****" and maybe also some water that are freesing? Then it will be difficult to deliver enough diesel to the engine and the ecu shuts down the engine to protect it for other failure."

Have anyone had the same experience with old Diesel filter? Or should I look for other solutions?

The strange thing is that this happend when it is really cold outside. Injectors and valves should not get problems because of cold weather? (The engine has normal temperature and therefore the injectors etc should be warm enough to work?)

I will try to change Diesel filter, that is not a huge job and will at least eliminate one possible failure. I will at the same time try to look for leaks in the system. I don't think there are any leaks, but I will try to look after that. (The car use normal amount of diesel and I can not smell diesel from the car)

The exhaust seems to be okay also. No black or blue smoke. Only a little bit white when it is cold outside, but it lloks like the exhaust is normal.

0 0 0

6. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had same problem 2 days ago - also cold about -5 at the time - when pulling away from a junction with full throttle.

From the investigation I have done I have concluded that the first thing I will do is change the fuel filter.
    AndyH

0 0 0

7. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Engine stoped?

Did you read any diagnostic codes?

Keep me updated about if your problem was solved when you changed the filter.

I'll keep you updated when I've changed mine :-)

0 0 0

8. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Engine did not stop just went into limp mode with flashing glow plug light. Resolved by stopping and starting again.

Downloaded fault codes and had the same as you listed above.

Filter bought - hoping I can nurse it until weather improves!
    AndyH

0 0 0

9. Re: 17473 - Fuel trouble? Engine stops in High speed. 17473 - Fuel Pressure Regulation: Regulation Discrepancy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seventh-heaven View Post
    Engine did not stop just went into limp mode with flashing glow plug light. Resolved by stopping and starting again.

Downloaded fault codes and had the same as you listed above.

Filter bought - hoping I can nurse it until weather improves!
    Hi again!

I've changed the Diesel filter today. (I changed oil, oil filter and air filter at the same time).

I've tested the car and drived fast with it at the highway. I could not get the same sympthomes any more. The engine did not stop at all and now I hope the car is okay again. Since I had the car inside and it was warmed up a little bit I will do some final tests tomorrow. But so far everything seems to be good :-) I'll ive you a final feedback in a few days.

I've checked the error 17473 and it might be many different thing that causes that error, below is a list of things I found that might cause that error:

• Air in fuel system
    • Fuel filter is blocked
    • Pressure limiting valve defective
    • Fuel pressure regulating valve -N276- defective
    • Injectors defective (excessive return flow rate)
    • High-pressure system leaking
    • High-pressure pump defective
    • Fuel pump defective

I had the same sympthomes as you have earlier on this car. The engine got into some kind of safe mode and the yellow engine lamp turned on. The engine did not stop, but I lost effect and believe the turbo system was switched off. To solve the problem I tested to change the Mass Air Flow sensor. That did not help, so I tested to change the turbo-charger sensor - Some kind of air pressure sensor. Thet did not help either. After some different testing I found out that the wiring to the Mass Air Flow meter was bad. I repaired the wiring up to the sensor and then the engine worked just fine again.

You should get some other codes if the Mass Air flow meter or the Air pressure sensor for the turbo charger are bad or have wiring problems, but if you have the possibility to test those components it is worth a try to check that they work correctly.

Hopefully your car will be just fine again after you've changed Diesel filter.

Keep me updated. I really likes to know how the problem was solved at your car.

0 0 0