1. oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why is the design of the dipstick so bad on my 07 plate 2.0 tdi a6 saloon? the dipstick is black and it is almost impossible to read the oil level?! Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?
    0 1 0

2. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nath_donn View Post
    Why is the design of the dipstick so bad on my 07 plate 2.0 tdi a6 saloon? the dipstick is black and it is almost impossible to read the oil level?! Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?
    I agree - on mine it was impossible to read. I battled valiantly many times with it, and eventually just had to wait until the car told me the oil was getting low to know when I needed to add some. Not ideal by any means!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige
    0 1 0

3. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nath_donn View Post
    Careful what you wish for! The C7 has no dipstick at all, instead relying on a display in the MMI which requires you to place great faith in electronics
    1 1 0

4. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is annoying but with careful wipeing & observation you can see the oil
    A6 C6 Avant TDI, de-Badged, LED side lights, LED numberplate lights not just bulbs! so far!!
    0 1 0

5. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChA6dders View Post
    It is annoying but with careful wipeing & observation you can see the oil
    Bliney well i have tried several times and i cant see it! the c7 no dipstick at all and relying 100% on electronics! Audi what are you playing at. I wonder how many complaints to Audi have been made about cars running out of oil!!!
    0 1 0

6. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe you could get a bit of wet and dry and rub off that black coating where the measurement marks are. Silver metal should then show the blacker oil. It's going to be in oil at the end so won't need to have any protective coat if that is what it is.

No C7 dip stick. Where do they suck the old oil out from as well? I'm sure they won't be going back to removing the under tray and using the drain plug! A pain to refill also. Not being able to dip the stick as you get close to the right level. Are all the electronic gadgets progress? VCDS to change the oil
    Audi Allroad 3.0tdi. Tiptronic. 12/12/2006. Full Phantom Black, 19" alloys, MMI high, Navigation, Phone prep, Heated sports seats with memory, Parking advanced with rear camera, Sunroof, Rear blinds.
    0 1 0

7. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    Maybe you could get a bit of wet and dry and rub off that black coating where the measurement marks are. Silver metal should then show the blacker oil. It's going to be in oil at the end so won't need to have any protective coat if that is what it is.

No C7 dip stick. Where do they suck the old oil out from as well? I'm sure they won't be going back to removing the under tray and using the drain plug! A pain to refill also. Not being able to dip the stick as you get close to the right level. Are all the electronic gadgets progress? VCDS to change the oil
    mines black plastic (the dipstick that is)
    A6 C6 Avant TDI, de-Badged, LED side lights, LED numberplate lights not just bulbs! so far!!
    1 2 0

8. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    mines black plastic

(the dipstick that is)
    mines orange and one ball is bigger than the other () and that's the dipstick...

I think they differ between the 2.0 & 2.7/3.0...
    0 1 0

9. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, didn't realise they where plastic. Now I know what mean, the black plastic ones are used on some small engines (mowers etc) and are hard to read even with clean oil. What about cleaning the oil off thoroughly and using a small amount of plastic primer paint on the end?
    Audi Allroad 3.0tdi. Tiptronic. 12/12/2006. Full Phantom Black, 19" alloys, MMI high, Navigation, Phone prep, Heated sports seats with memory, Parking advanced with rear camera, Sunroof, Rear blinds.
    0 1 0

10. Re: oil dipstick 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Totally agree, absolutely ludicrous dipstick on my previous C6 2.0 Tdi - I needed to use a 'daylight' flash bulb, five minutes with a metre of paper roll and a magnifying glass to read mine.
    Gave up in the end and relied on the sensor.

Sensor defaults to the warning if it fails, doesn't it?
    IIRC the oil level and the sensor are both tested with the car's 'check' function?
    0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast