1. Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Driving home from dropping my daughter at work, a woman in a Toyota Aygo coming the opposite way decided she had right of way to pass a parked truck on her side by swerving onto my side of the road. I did the only thing possible to avoid a head-on smash and stood on the brakes. My oh my! Does my car stop quickly!!! The silly woman had the audacity to peep her horn at me as she just missed the front of my car on her way though. Next moment... BANG!! I was hit from behind by another woman in a Citroen C1. My poor car is a little worse for wear from meeting the C1 like that.

The bumper and valance are beyond repair by the looks of things. The exhaust has been pushed forwards and is pressing against the rear wheelarch liner and contacting the car body somewhere. There is damage to the spare wheel well and perhaps the boot floor - I dare not open the boot to check in case it won't close again. The main part of the bumper has recovered itself to it's old shape, so the car doesn't look too bad from a distance, but it was a big bang - enough to make the tax disc fly out of it's holder!

The woman who hit me said she had chest pains and was going to the hospital to get checked. I seem to have escaped completely intact, although a little shaken. Thank you Audi for making such a safe car!

MF.
    Last edited by MFGF; 13-07-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

2. Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah crap not good. I do know your pain though. Been there a few years ago with an Octavia and same thing happened. It should all repair though from experiance, you will defiantly need a new exhaust etc but it should be back on the road soon. I hope. Keep me posted

1 1 0

3. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about your incident. Good that you (and other driver) OK. Interesting to thnk about what the outcome could have been a few years ago without the additional safety measures incorporated into both cars..... Metal is metal and can be replaced. People are more fragile. I read an interesting article by the guy who led the safe car through technology campaign in the USA for many years from the 1970's. He postulated that by designing safe cars without the same focus on driving habits, that many American drivers drive fast because they feel invulnerable in their safe car and that the car would protect them for harm. He was partly saying that they took the wrong path, but I personally feel that a balance is required. But with much more emphasis on driving habits.

Michael.

1 1 0

4. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    First your C6, now your C7. You have worse luck than me!

From past experiences, if your spare wheel well is damaged the car is a Cat D but I'm not an insurance assessor so let them decide that.

Glad you're ok Mark, it's only a car afterall (albeit a very nice one!) and done its job to protect you.

1 1 0

5. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Thanks for the kind thoughts and wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    From past experiences, if your spare wheel well is damaged the car is a Cat D but I'm not an insurance assessor so let them decide that.
    Yikes! Really?? So my just-over-6-month-old A6 could be a write-off? I never even thought of that possibility!

I spoke to the LeasePlan Accident Management company when I got home. They took all the details, and because the exhaust is damaged and hitting the bodywork (and potentially affecting the engine and possibly diverting fumes into the car [their words]), they have classed it as a recovery case - they are sending a truck to take it away on Monday. They have advised me not to drive it over the weekend. Apparently they have a scheme where they provide a like-for-like car in the case of no-fault incidents, so they were quite confident they can get me something similar to drive until the car is sorted. I assume it will be cross-charged to the insurance of the party at fault?

I mentioned the awful time I had when my C6 was damaged and sent to their approved repairer in Market Drayton. I asked them not to allocate the same place as the repairer this time, but to use the guys in Ashbourne who rectified all the botched work on the C6. They looked up the details on the system and agreed not to set the Market Drayton cowboys as the default repairer. I hope they don't lose that in everything else that happens! I will get Marvin (my daughter's Ford Ka) out of the garage, and use it for the rest of the weekend. It's so fortunate I have a second car just sitting there!!

Thanks again gents for all your kind wishes!!

Mark.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

6. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Dont take that in stone, but having heard from colleagues and myself a long long time ago thats what happens. But things may have changed since then.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly this time and its not a back-and-forward trip like you had the last time.

What damage was there to the C1?

Good luck!

0 0 0

7. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Really sorry to hear about this. Hope you get it back in top nick very soon.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

1 1 0

8. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not good news but glad you're OK. Sounds like the other (oncoming) driver didn't stop, which is a shame as you should be claiming on their insurance.

I bet the C1 was a mess as they look pretty flimsy.

1 1 0

9. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Good to hear you're OK.
    Shame about the car though, such a lovely spec too.
    Get your daughter out of the Ka and into an A1, well once uni has finished.
    let's hope it's repairable.

....If only I was as smart as this bloody phone
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

10. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

From a couple of those pics i reckon it could be a cat d. amazing how much energy is transferred round the car when hit at 40 mph, and I am pretty certain the C4 will be the same!

Glad everybody was ok!

Peter

1 1 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast