1. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Is anyone with a C7 saloon up for taking some pics of an undamaged boot floor (the equivalent of my last four above) and posting them up so we can compare with what mine would originally have looked like? It's a bit of an effort as it means taking out the spare wheel to get access, but it will give me an idea of just how badly bent my car is in that area.

Thanks,

Mark.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

2. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Doesn't look good but I have my fingers crossed that the insurance dont write it off!

Keep us updated.

1 1 0

3. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    Doesn't look good but I have my fingers crossed that the insurance dont write it off!

Keep us updated.
    Thanks Chris! I will wait to hear back on what they plan to do. My dilemma is... if they don't write it off, will I ever be happy with the quality of the repair to that area? It's a complex set of panels from the looks of things. On the other hand, if they do write it off, I will have to go through the ordering and waiting process while a new car gets built, which could be three or four months. No point in second-guessing, though. I will put my faith in the insurance assessor and/or the repair shop to do a good job

Cheers!
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

4. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Correct, theres always that little voice in the back of your head wondering if it was hit again would it be as strong as factory?

If you do have to re-order (I hope you don't!) you can always drive that lovely C class or your daughters little Ka

1 1 0

5. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    the main point of impact seems to have been quite low, about level with the boot floor and no damage to the boot lid. that crease in the rear floor will never be the same without a new panel, but would jack out to near enough with the trusty old porta power. then its a new bumper and whatever has bent on the exhaust. just as long as theres no other chassis damage then its down to the rear panel. jacking it into shape is probably a couple of hours work, but replacing it is a major undertaking.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

6. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    Correct, theres always that little voice in the back of your head wondering if it was hit again would it be as strong as factory?

If you do have to re-order (I hope you don't!) you can always drive that lovely C class or your daughters little Ka
    So true! The upside is that the car has gone to a place I am happy with and confident in. They fixed my C6 issues to my complete satisfaction last time, and another forum member with past experience of them has sent me a PM saying how good they are.

I really don't like this C class! It should be a lovely car, but I feel cramped in it, and it's *so* basic!! It doesn't even have an outside temperature gauge (unless I just can't find it in the confusing COMAND menu system). I managed to pair my iPhone with the car last night, but only by having my daughter look in the manual and read out the steps and pushes and twists and presses involved to get there. There is no nav installed, no visible signs of any media capabilities (other than the radio), no auto wipers, the sun visor unhooks itself on one side whenever you try to close it (and blocks your view through the windscreen entirely until you can sort it out), and the stop/start cuts in/out/in/out/in/out with a jerk each time when you are crawling along very slowly in traffic with your foot on the brake. Wow! What a moaner I am! I can't believe I could be so picky about what is a prestige car, but I think I have been spoiled by 14 years of Audi driving.

Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    the main point of impact seems to have been quite low, about level with the boot floor and no damage to the boot lid. that crease in the rear floor will never be the same without a new panel, but would jack out to near enough with the trusty old porta power. then its a new bumper and whatever has bent on the exhaust. just as long as theres no other chassis damage then its down to the rear panel. jacking it into shape is probably a couple of hours work, but replacing it is a major undertaking.
    Thanks Zol. That sounds like your thoughts are that it can be repaired effectively. I never heard of a porta power - Google here I come! The car drove in a straight line when I limped it home after the accident, with no crabbing - the wheel was straight when the car was driving along. Hopefully this bodes well for the chassis, although I guess it could be bent behind the rear suspension? Is that something they can check on a jig?

There is a very slight nick in the paint of the bootlid - you can see it on the right of the picture here:

I imagine this will mean the bootlid has to be repainted, although I think I was lucky to get away without any denting or distortion of it, given the size of the impact.

I will keep you updated when I hear what they plan to do...

Cheers!

MF.
    Last edited by MFGF; 13-07-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

7. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi MF,

This is probably a bit self explanatory but one of the problems when having a shunt is that the energy of the impact is dissipated around the car and that there is a slight weakening of other key welds and small absorption areas around the car. This is the bit which cant really be repaired which might change how the car behaves if you need to rely on that structure to protect you again.

I spent a bit of time at MIRA when I was in vehicle manufacturing and i remember the engineers there saying the slightest bump which needs pulling on a jig should mean automatically write off for modern cars. Wasnt an issue with old chassis built cars 30 years ago!

Different opinions i guess to those who repair them, but interesting i thought...
    Peter

1 0 0

8. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DR_A6 View Post
    Hi MF,

This is probably a bit self explanatory but one of the problems when having a shunt is that the energy of the impact is dissipated around the car and that there is a slight weakening of other key welds and small absorption areas around the car. This is the bit which cant really be repaired which might change how the car behaves if you need to rely on that structure to protect you again.

I spent a bit of time at MIRA when I was in vehicle manufacturing and i remember the engineers there saying the slightest bump which needs pulling on a jig should mean automatically write off for modern cars. Wasnt an issue with old chassis built cars 30 years ago!

Different opinions i guess to those who repair them, but interesting i thought...
    Peter
    Thanks Peter. That was my worry too - will the car ever be quite the same again?

I had a call from the accident management company this afternoon. The repairers have already started repairs on the car. New parts are arriving on Friday (14th), and they hope to have the car ready for return by Friday 21st, provided it passes it's quality checks.

Until then, I'm in the Mercedes. It is a truly horrible car. I prefer driving my daughter's KA to this thing.

Cheers!

MF.
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

9. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I heard from both the repairer and the Accident Management Company this lunchtime. They both told me the same thing. My car has reached the reassembly phase, and they have realised the exhaust parts required have been incorrectly ordered. The exhaust parts they actually need for my car are on back order, with no indicated delivery date. The repairer closes on Friday for the Christmas period, and doesn't reopen until 2nd January, so it's likely I won't get my A6 back until at least 3rd January.

Ho hum.

MF.
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

10. Re: Bash!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Never good Mark!