Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, me again,

After the success of my last project (changing my own rear wiper motor, like a BOSS!) I'm considering doing the little service by myself.

I have seen the schedule and, aside from a shed load of "checks" (like the function of the horn, thanks Audi, but for my £300, I'm pretty sure I can do that myself), it seems to be a case of changing the air filter, the fuel filter and the oil and filter. How hard can that be?

Am I wrong, am I a fool not to take the car to someone who knows what he's doing? I figure the things they check on the service will be looked at come MOT time and there's no good reason why the parts (suspension arms and what not) would be broken.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, figured I'd put it here and make it admin's problem

I guess also that I will need to speak to ACMO and use his VCDS to reset the little service reminder that I get on my dashboard now?

Matt.
    0 0 0

2. Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I've changed all those bits on cars over the years but I didn't have the same reassurance with myself as I would over a dealer (or independent) doing the job properly and tightening everything as it should or doing something that I had missed.

If you want to keep your books stamped then Audi do an oil and filter change for £149 and a major service for £299 for cars over 3 years old and up to and including 2.0 litre engines.

Fixed-price servicing < Servicing with Audi < Owners area < Audi UK

Your local independent can obviously do it for cheaper but the Audi stamp and a 2 year parts and labour guarantee on the work carried out means a lot to me.
    0 0 0

3. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What year/engine? You will have to pay full price for the oil and filters and you'll need a new sump bolt. If you buy cheap you'll get cheap. You also need to test the coolant and brake fluid along with air-con gas if you have it. You'll also have to dispose of the old oil etc safely. You'll need axle stands to get under it. You'll also need VCDS or 80.00 to get the oil service light reset. Any change out of the £150.00?
    0 0 0

4. Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    The service and oil reminders can be reset via a combination of presses of the buttons on the dials on the 8P
    1 1 0

5. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I can't see what car / year model etc you have, but if it's out of warranty and a few years old with some miles, it could be worth doing it yourself.

You could either look to buy a pela pump ( I think thats what its called ) do a search.......you can pump the oil out through the dipstick and never need to change your sump plug....costs around £35 or so but once its bought its paid for!

Again depending on quality of parts used and model spec etc you could be looking at £80 + the initial cost of the pump, but thatsa once only payment remember!

The plugs, air filter, pollen filter ( not always changed every service either, sometimes the air filter isn't changed ** unless required either remember )

You could also look to do the basics such as the plugs air + pollen filter along with the fuel filter, then take your car to National Tyres who will do an oil + filter change using the correct Longlife oil as psec'd by Audi for around £40......still only perhaps £80 all in.
    Obviously whilst you're at it, cjheck all the other levels and top up as required, do a walkround, check lights / tyres etc.....Job done

Keep all receipts for service items and get National Tyres to stamp your book for you indicating an oil change and attach receipt for parts. This will at least indicate that the service has been carried out, and the book stamped.
    I'm positive that the service reminder can be reset using the stalk / pressing the odometer or some such combo.......do a search on that one.

The money you save could be put towards brake discs / pads etc or other parts as required in future.

Or--------- put it into the dealer and pay the extra for the stamp and ( peace of mind )

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's
    0 1 0

6. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £150 is pricey, especially when you see that they're only working on your car for around 7 minutes of the hour they charge you for! Its quite easy to do yourself but you just need to weigh up the cost of keeping the book stamped.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    A diesel horse only has 3 legs...
    0 0 0

7. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    7 minutes?
    0 0 0

8. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone who can do an oil service on an audi in 7 mins has a job waiting for him/her at my garage!!!!!!!
    0 0 0

9. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think of his poor wife, in, out repeat if necessary....
    0 1 0

10. Re: Servicing my own 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've always wanted to maintain my service book so have stuck with main dealer servicing (long life every 18k/2 years) at various main dealers - Leicester, derby and stoke as they do negotiate differently on price. Have often toyed with going to an independent but they always seem only £30 cheaper than main dealer so I've never bothered.

however I have always thought 18k is too long to leave the oil (and audi reckon the original air filter on an a3 can last til 60k!) so I do change these in between major dealer services for my own peace of mind.

lots written on line to show you how and of course there is a Haynes manual available for the 8p too.
    1 0 0

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast