1. Changing the DRL bulbs on a 2009 golf mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum having bought my golf 1.6 TDi match last week.

One thing I've noticed, (and I've searched just about every golf mk6 forum there is and found no definitive answer to) is how to replace the yellowish DRL bulbs, and doing so without getting a bulb warning light. I'm after a bulb with a nice pure white xenon appearance.
    -eBay seem to only have a blue cover for the bulb to make them appear bright white and they're priced at like £15!
    -some forums have disagreements over the bulb size
    -some forums say the bulb is the same as the side light

Yet on YouTube videos people have obviously changed their DRL bulb and have no bulb out error!

Someone please help, I want a completely different bulb set up!

I also want to change the number plate lights to a bright white (again without bulb error), but first things first....!

0 0 0

2. Re: Changing the DRL bulbs on a 2009 golf mk6 
    Beddoe Guest
    Hi
    I have not researched this in detail but the main beam/DRL bulb is a 'H15'. If you Google 'H15 bulb' or H15 upgrade' as I have done yyou may find what you require.
    Beddoe
    Last edited by Beddoe; 30-11-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: clarification

0 0 0

3. Re: Changing the DRL bulbs on a 2009 golf mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The DRL on the mk6 is the same bulb as the main beam, it has 2 filaments. Getting a replacement is difficult unless you go to VW. I can't remember the number, but it is on this forum somewhere. The only way to change them is to go for some sort of aftermarket LED units.
    Look here

drl bulb

Or if you got loads of spare cash you should be able to fit the GTI headlamps with LED drls, but you probably still need to get the bulb fail reset by VW
    Golf mk6 GT TSI 160 3 door Black with convenience pack

0 0 0

4. Re: Changing the DRL bulbs on a 2009 golf mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No upgrades in performance are available yet, as its pretty much VW's own design/shape bulb and new to the market, so will take a while for people to make alternatives,

0 0 0

5. Re: Changing the DRL bulbs on a 2009 golf mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about DRL's on MK.6's.
    The DRL's on my 2011 MK.6 use the main beam single filament bulb operating at a lower voltage - probably about 9v. The main beam does not use dual filament bulbs. There are no separate bulbs for the DRL's, therefore the bulbs cannot be changed for LED's etc. To check the bulbs start the car so the DRL's come on then get someone to operate the headlamp flasher. If it's like mine you should just see the main beam get a lot brighter.

0 0 0

6. Re: Changing the DRL bulbs on a 2009 golf mk6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if MK6 is same as MK7, but I just changed the low beam (H7) bulbs and DRL bulbs (H15) on mine. The passenger side is most difficult due to lack of space, and whilst the H15 bulbs are easy to change, the low beam H7 are not. I found it very hard to get fingers in right place to twist the bulbs. So I made up a very simple tool - see picture. This fits over the plastic "handle" on the bulb and easily relases or tightens it. With this tool I was able to replace the low beam bulbs in 15 minutes. The DRL bulbs were much simpler, about another 15 minutes to do both. Hope this helps other owners.
    Attached Images

0 0 0