Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Titanic Chat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Titanic Chat 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Titanic - The Sinking - New Theory 2012 (by James Cameron) - YouTube

This is what the "expert" film director and his gang have written as history, I don't agree myself,

Here's how I think things unfolded as it went down,

The bow fills up, it loops over and over compartment at a time, the lowest point by the keel plating should be where the water would collect first in a wedge shape until each compartment was full up, by the time the water had gone back far enough for her to sink I think you would be at three quarters of her length, two thirds to be generous, now instead of this snapping in two on the surface malarky I think she went down whole and twisted herself apart on the way down, tests have shown it to have planned down in a spiral, this is why I think it broke probably underwater during the first mile to the bottom, pressure from air in the stern which would've been there as crew would've secured compartment doors to buy time, this air once it got compressed by depth is why I think the poop deck looks like a peeled sardine tin, it would be like a bomb going off with the squeeze of the depth and the air trying to get above the water as nature intended,

So, lets have your thoughts, I know at least three of you will endulge me this one as it's something I know your brain's won't be able to resist, and remember this isn't about why she sank, purely about how she came to break, I look forwards to your thoughts, agreeing or disagreeing, no rucks or rows over it, I just want to hear what you think. tia.

1 1 0

2. Re: Titanic Chat 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Ok, I get the message, won't bother you all again, I'll stay in model specific in future.

0 0 0

3. Re: Titanic Chat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I'd love to be able to comment DSG, unfortunately I have no idea on this, what would put more strain on a steel structure, gravity or the pressure of deep water? I suspect the latter but I'm no physicist & I'm nowhere near intelligent enough to debate the subject authoritatively.

I know from experience that some threafs hit & some miss when it comes to piqueing interest, don't take it personally mate.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 1 0

4. Re: Titanic Chat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i too would love to comment but just have no idea. it is a very interesting subject though and i would love to know what happened.
    incidentally, how far is the bow from the stern on the sea bed ?
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: Titanic Chat 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    i too would love to comment but just have no idea. it is a very interesting subject though and i would love to know what happened.
    incidentally, how far is the bow from the stern on the sea bed ?

They are about one mile apart iirc, and no need to be an expert, I just wanted to know what folks think, never know there could be another theory that a reader is sitting on and has never had the chance to say it anywhere,

Also I know legend says survivors said it snapped on the surface, but at the time they were probably all bribed or threatened to tell THE story, as the 3rd ship of this class went down also (Britannic), in one piece I might add I feel I'm on to something.

1 0 0

6. Re: Titanic Chat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm curious why you've enclosed the word expert in quotation marks when talking about James Cameron.

When you consider the lengths he's gone to over the years in his research for both his original film and this latest (April 2012) documentary, it's quite clear he's knowledgeable in this field.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

7. Titanic Chat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very much a layman's opinion but considering the distances between the prow and the stern, and the tremendous strain on the centre section as the bow began to fill with water (vaguely remembering moments of force on fulcrums from many years ago), I think I'd be more inclined to go with the breaking on the surface theory.
    That's not to dispute your suggestions at all, I know the immense depth pressures and what compressed air can do, I just feel the enormous weight of the front half of the ship would have exerted a greater force, on what were not really very good joins and rivets, due to the force of gravity than would have been exerted on the way down.
    Only 60/40 in favour of the surface though, certainly think your theory has some grounds. Guess we'll never know for sure!

0 0 0

8. Re: Titanic Chat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    you say the survivors said it broke on the surface.
    now, there was a good few years before its sinking and being discovered on the sea bed in 2 pieces, and until this point in time, no one would have known whether it was in one piece or two pieces, so why say it broke on the surface when in fact for all they knew it could have been on the sea bed intact.
    explain that one away then
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

9. Titanic Chat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    80/20...

0 0 0

10. Re: Titanic Chat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Good point.

Sam, I would take Cameron's knowledge with a pinch of salt too, sure he'd have had advisors, but the version of events he tells in the film is inaccurate in parts, for example the actions of the Captain. That had many Scots up in arms.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast