Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
    Even if it's not the cause of this original problem, the 390 version has other issues too and may be worth checking on MY2005 on cars ...
    Interesting info. Mine shows H12 0550 and still has trouble with spontaneous flats and what seems undercharging. I wish there was a way to get rid of it, maybe someone will make a kit one day.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
    Interesting info. Mine shows H12 0550 and still has trouble ...
    Equally interesting! I wasn't told the Hxx level of mine, which I presume is a hardware version number of the ECU? I'm going to email my techie and ask if he knows or if he can tell me when he puts the new code in. I'll publish when I found out ...

That being the case, makes me wonder if software has to be aligned with specific hardware versions, so that if I had an H11 at 390, then the 510 level is the one I need, whereas the functionality of H12 in your 2006/2007 car requires a newer level, i.e. at least 550. And that begs the question, "Does the H12 at 550 need an update too"?

The tech note that was shared with me and from which I extracted the info I typed, was dated 02Dec09; which is a long time after the build of my car [Nov2004] to discover and publish a tech note for it. The note specifically says that parts cannot be swapped; "parts replacement is not permitted".

Julian

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    BTW; I meant to describe the conditions that the '390 to 510' upgrade was described as resolving:

1) The message "Battery weak" appears in the DIS.
    2) A battery level of 10% is displayed in MMI CAR menu.
    3) The ESP light comes on sporadically afer engine start [Diesels only]

I've seen 1) rarely and 2) far more often. I've never seen 3)

Julian

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I ran some google searches ang H11 seems to be exclusively for the A6, and the latest version seemed to be 0590. H12 0550 is quite a common result on google but H12 0590 has no results.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
    I wasn't told the Hxx level of mine, which I presume is a hardware version number of the ECU? I'm going to email my techie ...
    Techie replied to say he didn't know the Hxx level of my ECU but that the info he printed was an Audi TSB. BTW, I found an Audi US TSB too on exactly the same subject with different but basically similar text. Unlike the UK version, the US version specifically says that A8 BEM ECUs between 270 and 490 needed updating - mine appears to be 390. [Oh for a VCDS].

Technote numbers: Mine - presumed UK 2006741/10 US one - 2016847/5

Julian

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I ran some google searches and H11 seems to be exclusively for the A6, ...
    Aha - Not true I managed to get a VCDS 'on loan' for an hour and, despite NetBook battery problems, managed to determine that my 'Battery Controller' is at H11 with 0510 code. It's now obvious that the technical note that I described earlier was applicable to all H11 units and proposed a code upgrade to 0510 [you'll recall I had 0390].

Snapdragon, you've obviously got a later revision unit [H12] in your later A8, with 'higher' code appropriate to that unit. Begs the question, "is H12 due a code upgrade too for the same problems found in the H11 units". Recall that the H11 problem my techies 'discovered' wasn't actually 'discovered' and a Technical Bulletin published until late 2009!

This is starting to explain the many different issues with batteries and battery displays that forum members have; we haven't all got the same problem, as there are various hardware Hxx levels and firmware vvvv code levels during the life of the car!

All I can say to anyone reading is that you have an H11 umit and you haven't got code level 0510, then there is a code update that may fix any problems you see.

Regards - Julian

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine too, I keep thinking it's fixed and then it does it again. But last night was worst ever, completely flat as a pancake. I do suspect a door handle as it is usually in cold wet weather and the car was covered in water and ice this morning. Sometimes when I'm washing the car with the key in my pocket, it unlocks and relocks without me touching the handles or even the car, I alsways assumes it was the button getting pressed in my pocket but of course I now realise it may be as somerandomguy said.
    Interesting... my 2005 A8 with Keyless entry has the same symptoms. I had Audi replace the battery about two years ago following a battery drain issue. Over the last year or so, I've had random flat batteries, but over the winter it seems to be dead almost every day (still able to start the engine thanks to the power management controller shutting stuff down)! I've been recharging the battery overnight to keep the car alive, as I generally do short (< 15 mile) journeys to work and back.

Regarding the door sensor / lock button, I too have noticed that when washing the car with the key in my pocket, it locks/unlocks several times quickly. This also occasionally happens when it's raining and I approach the car. Both front door lock buttons on my car don't actually work (there is no tactile click when pressing the button), and it seems the N/S/R is the offending handle that's causing the car to stay awake (tested by simply walking around the car with the key in my hand.. whilst round the O/S of the car, I can hear a faint clicking noise like a relay).

Question is - can anyone offer advice on:

(1) Is there anyway to repair the door lock buttons (without replacing the entire assembly)?
    (2) Any idea on cost for a new button / handle / assembly?
    (3) How complicated is it to replace the button / handle / assembly?

Also - did anyone find a solution to disable keyless entry temporarily (take out fuse etc)?

Thanks!

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did try to repair the handle, but ended up destroying the one i bought. The touch sensor is achieved via a coil embedded into the handle, and the switch is also non-removable.
    i managed to buy a full set from germany for 100€ in the right colour, leaving me with a couple of spares. The handles themselves (once out of the frames) can fit any door and the replacement process is not too bad.

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
    ... I managed to buy a full set from germany for 100€ in the right colour, leaving me with a couple of spares. The handles themselves (once out of the frames) can fit any door and the replacement process is not too bad.
    Somerandomguy; don't suppose you could elaborate on this. I have two 'keyless' handles out of action in my MY2005 car and avoided replacing them as I was quoted over £300 per door as they also needed painting.

1. Where did you get them from please and were they €100 for four or €100 each?
    2. What is "the replacement process"?

Thanks - Julian

0 0 0

10. Re: Audi a8 d3 4e.... Battery draining problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for the deay in replying - I have been away with no internet access..

1. I got them from german ebay for a total of €110 for a set of all 4. German being what it is, it took a little time to find them, a search which is now harder as ebay has taken away the wildcard search facility. The search term I used was: A8 Türgriff* (don't forget the umlaut on the u), and then just trawled through the search results looking for the tell-tale button.
    2. To replace the handles, you need to remove the door cards (buy a few spare clips before hand), remove the inner mounting plate, disconnect the wiring and door lock lnkage (this is the trickiest part), loosen the retaining frame to extract the handle from the exterior. I didn't take the glass out, but space is limited, especially on the rear door. I would advice getting elsa for the detailed instructions, as this is what I followed - I'll see if I can attac a pdf for you,

door handle.pdf
    door card.pdf
    Last edited by somerandomguy; 28-02-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: add attachments

1 0 0

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast