1. Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have decided that i am going to service my car myself and not take it to a garage unless something breaks.

Obviousley it wont get any software updates,

will this be a problem or is it all a load of rubbish to get more money out of us?

0 0 0

2. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The software updates are not like those you get on your computer, in that your car suddenly won't become vulnerable if you don't update the software - however, the software updates done at dealers is more often than not to cure issues that they have found, or make things work a little better than they do now; whether this is likely to cause you any problems is anyone's guess.

The other thing to bear in mind when self servicing is that your book won't be getting stamped, which will almost certainly dent your resale value, and could leave you out in the cold if there is any recalls in the future.

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

3. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i agree that will happen for definate,

but on the plus side i will save a lot on labour costs,

and i know for definate that only the best oil is going in.

0 0 0

4. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

0 0 0

5. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not VW or Audi, but I got fleeced by Vauxhall for a ""Software Update"" on our Zafira.
    I came back from working away and the idle was hunting all over the place and the fuel economy had plummeted. Sensor or something must be away I thought.
    The car was out of warranty and had been serviced at an independant using GM parts since new.
    Took it to Vauxhall and left it. Half an hour later they called to say it was done!
    I popped back (which was a PITA, I would have waited if I had known) and was told it was fixed by a ""Software Update"". No parts required.
    Now I work in the software game and I questioned how a program can start using different parameters if all the sensors are OK. Blank stare was the response, so I put it to them that as the car was over 5 years old (by only a couple of months) and hadn't seen a Vauxhall dealer in that time and maybe something underhand was a-foot!
    Anyway, I didn't get anywhere with the desk monkey or his organ grinder. So 30 mins work cost me £90!!
    BMW 530d Sport 3.0 TDi 192PS
    Passat SE 2.0 TDi 140PS PD
    Passat CC GT 2.0 TDi 170PS CR
    Audi A4 Avant Black Edition 143

0 0 0

6. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gutted! that is the kind of thing i worry about, i like having a nice car but cant afford to get ripped off!

Yes A6 Chris, my car is 58 plate so is over 4 years old now, why do you ask?

0 0 0

7. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by battmiceter View Post
    gutted! that is the kind of thing i worry about, i like having a nice car but cant afford to get ripped off!

Yes A6 Chris, my car is 58 plate so is over 4 years old now, why do you ask?
    See the link in Chris' post - fixed price servicing at Audi dealers that is pretty close price wise to the prices you would get from an indy.

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

8. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An interim service at audi is £149,

I can buy 8 litres of castrol edge and an oil filter for £85.

That leaves me 3 litres after the oil change either for top ups or the next oil change.

0 0 0

9. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Plus when I went to book my Audi A4 in for a service they wanted £161.94 for what they call an inspection!!!! They don't actually do anything just do 141 point check lol and when I asked about changing my brake fluid I thought it was one of the items on their so called fixed priced service items for £59.00 I was told my car didn't qualify simply because the engine was too big!!!!! WHAT's THE ENGINE GOT TO DO WITH THE BRAKES!!!! They quoted £121.75 more than double!! I just walked away and I won't be using Audi UK for any services in future!!! Bl**dy rob dogs! I went back to my independent dealer who simply reset this service message, saying I didn't need anything doing and he didn't even charge me a penny!! Now that's what I call a good dealer!! I shall take it back to him when the oil requires changing and he can go over the whole car then and change the brake fluid.
    Audi A4 3.0TDI Q SE Lava Grey + B&O, Audi Drive Select, Sports Seats, Sun Roof, DVD Sat Nav Plus, Blue Tooth Phone Prep, Audi Hill Assist, Rear Parking Aid, Electric Seats, Light Pack, Audi Audio Interface, MMI etc... and 4 Halfords Bulbs lol....

0 0 0

10. Re: Do cars needs software updates? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could agree more, complete rip off!

Before this car i baught an 05 plate A4 from leeds audi for 12.5 grand.

After 1 week i took it back because hand break light was constantly on, they replaced a sticking relay free of charge.

After 2 weeks i took it back because the clutch was slipping in first gear only to find that the warrenty did not cover it.
    They then tried blaming my driving for ruining the clutch in 14 days!
    after a lot and lot of arguing the finally agreed to replace 1 of 3 clutch plates but it was never 100% even after the fix.

I sent it in for a major service (40K) and they replaced the fuel filter.
    they also decided to drive another car in to the back of it! they agreed to replace the rear bumper but needed to take it to harrogate VW due to not having a spray shop in leeds.
    When they braught it back it was the wrong colour, what a surprise! they wouldnt sort it out for another 2 weeks due to not having a spare courtesy car.
    when they finally decided to fix it they drove it back from harrogate to leeds, and the guy boasted to me how it made it all the way back with no fuel in the tank!

Thanks pal, there was my brand new fuel filter i had paid them hundreds to replace all clogged up with gunk from the bottom of the fuel tank.

As you can guess i dare not leave my car in the hands of leeds audi for fear it may not make it back to me!

If that is not the worst car buying experience from a main dealer you have ever heard of please let me know yours!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast