Notices

User Tag List

Thread: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! )

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm..... I see what you are saying.

I'll check mine tonight and in the morning and see what it does
    2006 (C6) A6 Avant SE. 3.0 TDI V6. Quattro. 6 Speed Manual. Adaptive Air Suspension.

0 0 0

2. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I just tried to nip out to the car a while ago with my phone to see if my rev counter needle had any movement - hoping maybe Rosscow was right. After 10 minutes of looking, I realised my Wife's taken my flaming keys to work. Will try again tomorrow Gup, although I'm not sure how relevant it'll be as mine is the 2.0 litre.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

1 1 0

3. BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Gup remember its a 7 year old car with 80k on the clock - tyre bound to have some issues!

1 1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brycie View Post
    I just tried to nip out to the car a while ago with my phone to see if my rev counter needle had any movement...
    I would appreciate that regardless of it being 2.0... would appreciate any input ... I've just been on the phone with a remapper hoping that a remap may solve issue... I've seen posts were people say that as they change parameters in ECU for injector timing etc it could be solved... they said get issue sussed before remap...

They think route is glow plug change... if not fix then injectors swap out... as they advise cold lumpy starts are due to those two things...

Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    Gup remember its a 7 year old car with 80k on the clock - tyre bound to have some issues!
    I hope this not sound wrong... I've had lesser cars... similar or higher miles... older or same age... never issue like this...

All my vans used... never any issue... all diesel TDI... used them in colder/icier/snow conditions...

It did not do this last year in winter... in my view after having got done chains, tiptronic oil, etc car should be spot on...
    Last edited by gupsterg; 06-11-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Post compacted :)

0 0 0

5. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi gupsterg,

I haven't replied before because I'm afraid I haven't got any answer for you. I too would have thought throttle body. As you know from problems with my car, I know how difficult it is when a problem you have aren't run of the mill. At least I had lots of fault codes to work with.

If it is getting worse I guess at some point the fault might become more obvious and throw a fault code. Hopefully without a break down!
    As to the suggestion it might not be a fault. I think like all of us you get too know your own car well and when there is change you notice it and know something is a miss.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon and cheaply (if that is possible).

Suggestions after reading the web
    EGR valve clean?
    One thread I read suggested cleaning the earth points on the bulk head they can affect the ecu. Probable not it but free to check. I cleaned up mine when I had my problems.

Surely this must have something to do with it
    1 Fault Found:
    17953 - Throttle Valve Controller
    P1545 - 002 - Malfunction - Intermittent

Can a part be on the way out without always showing fault codes? Have you cleaned the throttle body?

All the best
    Audi Allroad 3.0tdi. Tiptronic. 12/12/2006. Full Phantom Black, 19" alloys, MMI high, Navigation, Phone prep, Heated sports seats with memory, Parking advanced with rear camera, Sunroof, Rear blinds.

1 1 0

6. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Cheers for suggestions... any input welcome...

I will check invoice but roughly mid July was when car came back from having had chain rattle fix done... car was like this on rack...

Car was spot on mechanically after work done... there were a few non mechanical/electrical faults, most I or got sorted... only one I did not get fixed Link:- windscreen their after care was very poor! I thought when screen actually blow out that's when I'll get done...

I double checked most things I could after they gave back... that was when I did this thread Link:- Relays as they had no answer to why car had this and you would think some of the data I put in thread was from wiring diagrams which you would think they would have access to... this was another issue they left Link:- Headlights ...

Just for info my chain rattle IIRC occurred roughly Feb 11 so I used to look at startup revs/fluctuation/noise virtually all startups... it only fluttered revs on chain rattle...

When I got back for a period everything was AOK... no chain rattle... no rev fluctuations...

The rev fluctuation used to happen when chain rattled, sometimes car started without chain rattle and there where no fluctuations... you remember in your thread I said I used to get starter motor pause again this issue disappeared after chain rattle fix... hoping will not return

Again it is the rocking/variation in revs which is a concern to me... if just needle went up down I would not be bothered... if car cold and you blip the accelerator all is well...

Maybe start revs minimum needed to be raised at least on my early car's that was just a screw on the carb...

0 0 0

7. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could this be the wrong way around?

"The rev fluctuation used to happen when chain rattled, sometimes car started without chain rattle and there where no fluctuations..."

Maybe this rev fluctuation showed up the chain rattle. No rev fluctuation no chain rattle.

Hunting is back but no chain rattle because they are as new.

So when you start the car it hunts and then you blip the throttle and all is OK? Sticky throttle butterfly, freeing up once it turns? What you could do with is a donor throttle body to try so you can rule it out. What you don't want is to start spending more £££ on bits to try to fix it not
    really knowing if it will work. If you do that the wife will not be a happy bunny .

Audi Allroad 3.0tdi. Tiptronic. 12/12/2006. Full Phantom Black, 19" alloys, MMI high, Navigation, Phone prep, Heated sports seats with memory, Parking advanced with rear camera, Sunroof, Rear blinds.

1 1 0

8. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I am open to your ideas... sadly... I just hope rattle never return

Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    So when you start the car it hunts and then you blip the throttle and all is OK?
    Yes... the other way it stop is to let it idle after several minutes it sorts itself out... I will check throttle body at convenient time...

What you don't want is to start spending more £££ on bits to try to fix it not really knowing if it will work.
    Yep I agree... thankfully this forum is very live... so I'm hoping some one will come forward... Thank you all for kind comments...
    I feel the silver lining to my ownership was joining VWAF...
    If you do that the wife will not be a happy bunny .
    I gotta say banter aside she been really great
    MOT is due... so once that done... save some £££ and maybe new year a different car
    Last edited by gupsterg; 07-11-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Post compacted :)

0 1 0

9. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Constantly read the measured value block 13 and 14 for the smooth running control in the engine control unit. The values of one or several cylinders should noticeably move to positive.
    Check your coolant/fuel temps also check your rail pressure

Smoke can be poor fuel or injector leakage so also consider checking the oil for high fuel content

or

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2013969/15
    Thin engine oil, white smoke or juddering at idle speed - V6 2.7 l/3.0 l TDI Release date: 05-Nov-2011

Customer statement / workshop findings
    White smoke from the exhaust system and juddering when the engine runs at idle speed for some time - V6 TDI 2.7l / 3.0l TDI.
    Technical background

Mechanical wear of the needle attachment of the injector leads to an increased fuel injection into the combustion chamber. The fuel is not completely burnt, which causes white smoke (unburnt fuel) or juddering when the engine runs at idle speed for some time.This complaint occurs only on vehicles with more than 50,000 km.

Production change
    Modified injectors from:8E47A0403604F37N0267504EX7N0042044L*7D049162

Measure

Read the measured value blocks 72 - 77.3 values per measured value block appear there (for 300 bar, 600 bar, 1000 bar). Should the values be higher than minus -45 ms (example - 60ms) or on digit 2 be higher than minus -15 ms (e.g. 20ms), the needle attachment is worn and the injector is incorrect. To avoid repeat repairs, replace all 6 injectors. >>>> Observe the algebraic sign (minus) in measured value block 72-77 !!!!! <<<<<

0 0 0

10. Re: BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gup,

Video as requested. Car was warm but had been switched off for around 45 minutes. Engine code ASB.

Will do same thing in the morning when it's cold.

Video for Gup - warm engine - YouTube
    2006 (C6) A6 Avant SE. 3.0 TDI V6. Quattro. 6 Speed Manual. Adaptive Air Suspension.

1 2 0

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast