Hello everyone - I really hope there's someone out there who can point me in the right direction!

Since buying the car in 2008, no faults until earlier this week where, on braking a touch harder than normal the ESP/ASR lamp has lit up now and again ('tho disappears on turning the engine off then back on). This continued for a couple of days until late last night where, on starting up, the amber Engine Management System lamp remained on. I subsequently drove the 10 miles back home, during which the engine performed absolutely fine with no problems (the EMS lamp still lit).
Is there anything that I can look at/check/fix before having a Vehicle Diagnostics Check, or is it a case of straight away putting my faith in the hands of someone with the capability of running a check using GENUINE Registered or Shareware versions of VCDS/VAG-COM. Ultimately, I guess I'll need the diagnostics so would appreciate any recommendations of experienced providers in the Barnsley area of South Yorkshire (hopefully not the main dealer, in the best interests of my wallet....).

Many thanks in advance.