Notices
 

  

User Tag List

Thread: Second Hand A6

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Second Hand A6 
    #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Moray, Scotland
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, I have recently just sold my MK5 GTI and looking to get an A6 now! Needing something a good bit bigger! First post on here and was wondering if somone can give some advice on the two types I am looking at.

    I was going to get a 2.7 but heard that the gearbox's weren't near as reliable as the 3.0 tdis. I am pretty sure its the 3.0tdi I will get but have seen some 3.2fsi models which might intrest me.

    The 3.0 sline or lemans editions that I have been looking at are around 70-80K on the clock which I am certain will not be alot for a audi 3.0 tdi. Could someone advise on that to look out for on theses and if there are any faults I should be aware of?

    I have tried to do my research and have only come up with check if the autobox oil has been changed the the cam chain has been serviced. Is there anything else that could be an issue to look out for?

    Thanks
    Kevin
     
    0 0 0
     

  2. Re: Second Hand A6 
    #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    mostly in the garage
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi Kevin, I guess there'll be lots of previous threads on the subject of buying.... try a search using something like "3.0l tdi advice" then have a browse through.

    On the cam chain issue, cam chains are not a service item so those engines that develop the rattle at start up, sometime accompanied by a fault code can only be fixed by engine removal to renew the chains.

     
    0 1 0
     

  3. Re: Second Hand A6 
    #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c4a5er View Post
    Hi Kevin, I guess there'll be lots of previous threads on the subject of buying.... try a search using something like "3.0l tdi advice" then have a browse through.
    You beat me to it!
     
    0 0 0
     

  4. Re: Second Hand A6 
    #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SOUTHAMPTON, HANTS, UK
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Walker View Post
    Hello, I have recently just sold my MK5 GTI and looking to get an A6 now! Needing something a good bit bigger! First post on here and was wondering if somone can give some advice on the two types I am looking at.

    I was going to get a 2.7 but heard that the gearbox's weren't near as reliable as the 3.0 tdis. I am pretty sure its the 3.0tdi I will get but have seen some 3.2fsi models which might intrest me.

    The 3.0 sline or lemans editions that I have been looking at are around 70-80K on the clock which I am certain will not be alot for a audi 3.0 tdi. Could someone advise on that to look out for on theses and if there are any faults I should be aware of?

    I have tried to do my research and have only come up with check if the autobox oil has been changed the the cam chain has been serviced. Is there anything else that could be an issue to look out for?

    Thanks
    Kevin
    I've got 2.7 TDI Quattro with auto gearbox and was told by Audi that gearbox is sealed for life (no need to change oil ever).
    As about cam chain rattle - 130K on clocks and not single squeak (hit wood hard few times ).
    Also was told by unreliable source that with Audi you got to worry about Multitronic gearboxes not Tiptronic (which fitted to 2.7 and 3.0 models)
     
    0 0 0
     

  5. Re: Second Hand A6 
    #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AN AUDI FAN View Post
    Also was told by unreliable source that with Audi you got to worry about Multitronic gearboxes not Tiptronic (which fitted to 2.7 and 3.0 models)
    only fwd is fitted with multi - quattro is fitted with tiptronic
     
    0 0 0
     

  6. Re: Second Hand A6 
    #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lurking over a keyboard ...
    Posts
    5,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Audi state sealed for life... for an enthusiast that does not apply

    Link 1:- audipages A8 Automatic Transmission Servicing

    Link 2:- Tiptronic ATF, transmission fluid change/flush - Articles

    Setup for gearbox in A6 is pretty similar to above links... from what I read somewhere the Tiptronic in the A6 was derived from one used in the A8...

    Link 3:- Tiptronic oil change !!

    I had tip oil changed when chain rattle fixed... most enthusiast seem to be getting it done from posts I've seen

    ZF are the manufacturer... I think in their data PDF's they recommend a change xxxxx miles

    If you do a google for ZF 6HP19 or Audi 09L there are plenty of PDF's with good data

    Last edited by gupsterg; 02-01-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Photo link restored
     
    0 0 0
     

  7. Re: Second Hand A6 
    #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SOUTHAMPTON, HANTS, UK
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    only fwd is fitted with multi - quattro is fitted with tiptronic
    At least half of what he told me was true
     
    0 0 0
     

Similar Threads

  1. Question LEFT hand drive TO right hand drive headlight beam benders
    By A4 Lad in forum Audi A4 - B7 Forum - 2005 - 2008
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 28-08-2014, 06:02 PM
  2. Second Hand Numbers
    By theskyfox in forum A1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-01-2012, 09:47 PM
  3. Question new or second hand
    By con1981 in forum Bora - 1998 - 2005
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-08-2009, 07:24 PM
  4. Second hand A4
    By danredfern in forum Audi A4 - B7 Forum - 2005 - 2008
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
  5. help at hand
    By skinner in forum General Detailing/Cleaning Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




  



Disclaimer: VW Audi Forum is an "independant enthusiast website", administered in line with guidelines supplied by VAG in the UK, and is in no way related to any of the Worldwide Volkswagen,Audi,Seat,Skoda,Bentley,Bugatti,Porsche or Lamborghini group of Companies. For official up to date information on any of there vehicles, please visit the official websites. Any comments made throughout this website, are the views of the respective poster, and in no way represent the views of the VW Audi Forum Administration, or the worldwide Volkswagen & Audi Group of companies.


VW Audi Forum do not vet and are not responsible for any information which is posted in this forum. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.


Copyright: Certain "words", "phrases" and "Images" used on this website by the Administration are "Copyright" of Volkswagen GB, Volkswagen AG (Germany), Audi GB, Audi AG (Germany), Volkswagen Motorsport GB, Volkswagen Motorsport AG (Germany), Audi Motorsport AG (Germany), Volkswagen Racing GB, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche and Lamborghini. No image can be replicated by anyone WITHOUT the relevant Companies written permission.


All trademarks and copyrights remain property of their respective owners.

No part of the VW Audi Forum website or forum may be reproduced without written permission from the site administration


PLEASE NOTE - PERSONAL ABUSE, ABUSE AGAINST THIS OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE OR ANY COMPANY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. OFFENDERS WILL BE MODERATED OR EVEN BANNED.


This website and forum are best viewed at a minimum resolution of 1024 by 768.



  



- VW AUDI Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Group Forum - Volkswagen (VW) - Audi - Seat - Skoda - Bentley - Bugatti - Lamborghini - Porsche - VW Audi Forum -


- www.vwaudiforum.co.uk - www.vwaudiforum.co.uk -