1. Mk3 golf gear selection and linkage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1994 Mk3 golf driver with a rod change gear linkage. All of a sudden its been difficult to select gears and the gear leaver seems to have a lot of forward and back play in it when it is in gear. Under the bonnet on the gear linkage there is a white cylindrical gear for want of a better word that is part of the linkage mechanism. If i reach down I can spin this with my fingers and it doesnt seem to engage with anything. Any ideas on what is needed to sort the gear linkage out???
    Cheers
    Pete

0 0 0

2. Re: Mk3 golf gear selection and linkage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you add a photograph? it sounds like a bush rather than a gear

0 0 0

3. Re: Mk3 golf gear selection and linkage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi i think your right, a bit more investigation and this cylidrical thing should be sperical - ordered a new gearshift relay shaft and ill see what that does. thankyou for taking the time to read my help though!

0 0 0

4. Re: Mk3 golf gear selection and linkage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Pete, i had a similar problem and sort of fixed it with an old bit of coolant hose.

by removing an 'R'clip/pin thingy from the end of an accessible bit of the linkage you can get the white cylindrical thing out.
    I then found an old bit of coolant hose that fitted snugly over it, cut it slightly shorter than the white bush thing and popped it all back in place and did up the 'R'clip.

Like i said, it sort of worked, enough to get me out of the jungle

I think originally the white bush thingy had a highly designed elastomer shape around it to allow super-smooth gear changes with a 'good feel' to impress the original buyer, but with time and much use it slowly becomes road debris.
    I'd like to see what it originally looked like new, i think the proper bit comes part of something called a deviating shaft.
    From memory i'd say the hose internal diameter was around 20mm with wall thickness about 4mm, but i reckon a thicker wall would be better, but until someone posts a picture of the bit, i couldn't say for sure, best of luck, i hope your new 'gearshift relay shaft' sorts it.

0 0 0

5. Re: Mk3 golf gear selection and linkage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi yes what you said is the problem and your fix would work! eurocarparts couldnt supply the bit and didnt fancy main dealer prices but found a new one on ebay. GEARSHIFT RELAY SHAFT NEW FOR VW GOLF MK3 CADDY SEAT IBIZA INCA CORDOBA | eBay should be a pic on the ebay listing. There is an outer shell to the white bit. Has made hell of a difference and tightened up the gear change so it goes in and stays in gear!.. the part is very easy to replace with a 13mm socket and a pair of needle nose pliers. You need to go under the car to take off a circlip but its nothing that pliers wont undo. The bit I ordered is called a gearshaft relay shaft on ebay o should the ebay link expire or not work it may help someone out in the future. Thankyou both for replying!

0 0 0