Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Cutting weather seal to allow window tinting?

1. Cutting weather seal to allow window tinting? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've approached a company that has their own workshop tinting cars and doing graphics etc. he has quoted me 160 to tint rear windows, quarters and back windscreen. He has advised me that my Audi (a6 s line 2010 plate) is the most difficult car to do as they have a rubber weather seal on inside that you can't take out unless you strip the whole door which is a 4hr job each door. He further advises that I let him cut the wether seal to allow him to sstick the film on. Apparently he gets subbed out to Audi main dealer and even does this on brand new audis, but he only does it on basis thar he can cut this weather seal, he says it does not detriment to the weather seal after cutting?

Any ideas if he is telling the truth and sounds reputable?

Cheers

kevin

0 0 0

2. Re: Cutting weather seal to allow window tinting? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi there,

Personally I'd ask around for other opinions. Good local place to me is Auto Asylum in Maidenhead, seen his work on Audi's and have to say the workshop, films available and quality of work is very high.

Andy

0 0 0

3. Re: Cutting weather seal to allow window tinting? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I'd never done one before.... replaced both my rear side windows....first one was slow and careful, took less than 1 1/2hrs but once I knew how it was done the second one was easily done in an hour.

I wouldn't let them cut anything take the windows out yourself if necessary.

0 0 0

4. Re: Cutting weather seal to allow window tinting? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know its an old thread but thought i would post here instead of making a new 1.
    I have just had my rear windows tinted on my 2010 S-Line.
    Anyway was looking at the car the car today and was putting up and down the windows for the fist time since the tints went on, was told don't open or close for a day or 2 just in case, on 1 of the windows the pinch protection activated so i had a closer look and it looks like hes cut the rubber weather seal on the inside of the window to do the tint and didn't do a good job of it, 1 of them is screwed and the other isn't great either.

So doing my research after getting a job done as usual i now realize what hes done.
    And i am ******.

Anybody know whats involved in replacing these as i want them replaced and wouldn't have given the ok to cut them had i known.
    I can't find any on ebay or the like to see what they cost.

Cheers.

0 0 0