Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

Does anyone on this forum have in-depth knowledge of wiring on modern VWs, or can point me towards someone who does?
    Specifically I'm looking for pin-out details for the multi-plug connectors on the window motors and door switches of my 2005 Sharan, to allow me to do further tests or perhaps over-ride the functions.
    I've researched this quite thoroughly on the internet already but, with respect, 99% of people seem to have not a clue of the complexity of modern vehicle wiring. Talk of simply checking for voltage down at the door motor is pretty useless when said motor has about 20 wires going to it and an on-board controller with enough computing power to land the space shuttle.
    A bit of backround:-
    About 2 months after we got our Sharan the OSF (drivers) window stopped working. I did a bit of testing and decided it must be the motor. I took it out, got the numbers from it and bought a brand new one off ebay. After a while I got round to fitting it and, surprise surprise - no different. At this stage I got fed up and jammed the window shut with a bit of 4x2, and my wife has been using it like this for the past 18 months.
    Last night, with the car off the road for MOT work, I finally got round to re-building the window regulator and having another go at diagnosing the problem. I suspected the door switch, or something to do with the "global close" function from the door lock. I was messing around with it and all of the other windows were working properly, including with the global close, but the OSF was still dead. Then suddenly I managed to do something which has made ALL the windows stop working! I think it was something that I did with the key, or the lock switch beside the window switches. In any case, the 3 other windows (NSF and 3rd row rear, rear doors are manual) just make a small click but don't move. I've tried everything to rectify this but to no avail. Could it be that I've blown the window fuse? Can anyone advise where I might get a fuse layout diagram online? (I only ask this because we once had a wiper fuse nightmare with this car when it blew because of frozen wipers, and it turned out the fuse card in the car was incorrect - a main dealer finally told be this after selling me a £270 wiper motor. Which also had a computer on it powerful enough to beat Gary Kasparov at chess. Luckily he took the motor back for full refund).
    Anyway, back to the job in hand. I've left the battery disconnected overnight and am about to go out and see if that has reset things to bring the rest of the windows back to life. Assuming I can get them fixed, do I have any chance at all of finding a wiring schematic for this window system? I've read a lot of talk about broken wires or bad connections where the wiring passes through the trunking at the door hinge, but I've had this open (including the huge multi-plug on the door pillar) and couldn't see anything amiss. I suppose I should check for continuity from the motor plug to this door plug though, but without a schematic it's difficult to be 100% sure of what is going on.
    Can anyone offer a view on whether the door switch is likely to be the fault? There are a couple of correct ones on ebay for about £50 but I'm reluctant to but more parts when I've got no clue whether they're the fault.
    One final thing - the drivers door locking actuator has also stopped working, this happened about a year after the window so I didn't think they were related. However I stripped it last night and can't see anything wrong with it. I wonder how much the position of the lock is related to the window function? The global close seems to just be triggered by 2 micro-switches worked by plastic cams directly by the key barrel, and these look OK. This might also suggest damaged wires?
    OK enough ramblings, any knowledgeable suggestions greatly appreciated. My wife and children will be extremely grateful to finally be able to open this window for our glorious UK summer.
    BTW if / when I get to the bottom of this I will DEFINITELY post the solution on this thread. I've solved a good few problems over the years from forum posts so like to be able to put something useful back if I can. There are a lot of unanswered questions out there.....

Thanks in advance, Ruaridh.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2005 Sharan Window wiring problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unbe-frickin'-lievable.
    Writing that post focussed my mind, and this forum also turned up some similar posts I hadn't found before. There seemed to be a STRONG suggestion that the wires at the door pillar were the likely cause.
    So: - I went out and pulled the rubber gaiter out of the door, rather than taking the multi-plug out of the door pillar like I had before, and guess what? Broken thick brown wire!! Sometimes I even surprise myself with my own ineptitude.
    Anyway so what have I done to the rest of the windows? Surely it can't be something in this door now - they don't even work from their own switches.
    Fingers crossed that an obvious solution will reveal itself - will report back.
    R

1 1 0

3. Re: 2005 Sharan Window wiring problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK, no need to reply, problem solved.
    Don't know what brought the other windows back on, I think they kind of re-set themselves when I opened and closed the passenger door, but I can't be sure.
    The broken brown wire was indeed the problem with the OSF. Quite amazing to see it going up and down after all this time!
    From this experience I'd advise anyone with Sharan / Galaxy / Alambhra window problems to check for broken wires down at the door pillar before looking any further.
    Also one other thing that people might find helpful: - If you do end up wanting to take the motor out, slacken the window and lift it off the risers, then unbolt the 2 runners and take the whole window regulator / motor / cables out as one piece. This is far easier than disconnecting the lifting cables etc. in the door which ends up in a complete shambles of wires and pulleys. You can also put the whole regulator back in in one piece which is a lot easier than some people have suggested it is. I read one post where apparently a VW dealer mechanic had said it was the "worst job he'd ever done on a Sharan" which makes me wonder what they'd had him doing up until then.....
    Cheers R

1 1 0

4. Re: 2005 Sharan Window wiring problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    id just like to thank you for your input, not many threads on this car anywhere :/ ive just got a 2002 and had no back windows working and multiple speakers not working, pulled the rubbers back after reading this and bingo seems these rubbers nip at the wires ???
    anyway all sorted now just a few jobs left and il be happy...... until the next job crops up hahaha

0 0 0