1. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll try to explain how it all hangs together...

1 x 300w 1ch Rockford Fosgate Punch Amp running the 12" Sub
    1 x 300w 4ch Rockford Fosgate Punch Amp running the rear components (2 speakers each side) and the front components (3 speakers each side).

The two amps have been mounted on a fabricated shelf that sits over the top of the original amp, hidden away in the side panel.

I understand that without using a device that can convert from a MOST fibreoptic signal to an RCA signal then any aftermarket amps have to take their LINE IN from speaker outs. This results in the Audi amp feeding amplified and noisy signal into the punch amps. It works but its not how you'd want to use it. Traditionally it used to be Head Unit > RCA > Amp > Speakers.

At the moment its Head Unit > Optic Fibre > Audi Amp > Speaker Out > Punch Amp > Speakers.

The other problem with this setup is the signal from the speaker outs of the Audi amp have been through an internal crossover to then go to the Punch amps to be crossed over again. This is why I'm going for a MOST pre-amp that will take the Audi amp out of the equation completely. I hope this makes sense and is technically accurate

Regarding the subwoofer. This is encased in a glass fibre, volume specific enclosure that is then attached to the underside of the false floor you can see. I remember the sub had to be changed from what was originally specced as the volume required for it wouldn't fit in the spare wheel cavity.

The rear speakers are 6.5" and 1".
    The fronts are 6.5", 3" and 1"

To take the door cards off you have to prise the mid range speaker grill off (middle speaker) and the large aluminium/wood/carbon/black trim piece off the door.
    I think there are three bolts - 1 next to the middle speaker, one behind the large aluminium trim (or what ever finish your car has), and 1 in the door pull (the thing you pull to shut the door). This one is semi hidden and you have to access it from below.

Then there are about 3 - 4 clips that need to be located around the bottom left / bottom / bottom right of the door card. I'm not sure where they are positioned exactly but you need a thin, flat headed tool to prise and unclip then without breaking the clips (I belive).

Its all changing in a few weeks (again) so I'll keep you updated and definately take some pictures before if all goes back in!
    2008 Audi A6 Avant "Le Mans" Edition

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. So you currently have a converter between the standard amp and the RF amps? if so what are they called, and also the MOST pre amp? Any chance of some pics of how its currently hooked up in the boot, and is the sub connection on the standard amp? Want to do it on the cheap using the current Sub at the moment till i get a new job and have more money to play with.
    Looks like i'll have to make do with the standard speakers for now, the mid's are TINY.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My system does not currently have a converter. What I was saying was that without one, you have to use the speaker outs of the original amp. The MOST bus system in the car is similar to the older CAN-BUS system.

The MOST pre-amp that will be fitted is

MOST Digital Pre-Amp | mObridge

As mentioned, the sub is connected to the 1ch RF amp. All the cars speakers, including sub, are powered by the RF amps. The Audi amp is only used to connect the Audi speaker outs to the LINE IN on the RF amps. Does that make sense? In effect, you are just inserting the RF amps into the speaker output of the Audi amp:

Stock install: Audi Amp > Speakers
    Custom install: Audi Amp > RF Amp (via speaker out) > Speakers

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow but its tightly packed and you can't really see much of the connections. It is very simple really, just difficult to explain. A picture would paint etc.......

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Do you know about the bose surround setup in a saloon. as all I really need is to increase the sub bass

2007 3.0 tdi le mans : Hybrid turbo decat : miltek etc : 330-350 bhp : 450-500lbsft

Visibility pack. Adaptive xenon, Privacy glass. Bose surround. Dvd nav. Comms pack, led plate lights.
    Miltek, custom map,hybrid turbo, decat improved airflow to intercoolers.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjerome View Post
    A weird coincidence it is then as that is my car!! . Saves me taking some photos!

It's actually getting an upgrade in a few weeks using Jehnart door builds coupled with 8 Punch 6.5" midrange and 2 4" tweeters to replace the current Focal 3 way "upgraded" speakers. It's also having a MOST pre-amp fitted which will allow the original amp to be completely bypassed. Currently the original amp has to be used to supply line in from the speaker to the new amps which isn't ideal as it's not allowing the amps to do their jobs properly. It's being installed by Gavin at G7 Sounds in Newbury. He really knows his stuff and I can't recommend his services highly enough. I'm going to be there at the install so I can take some piccies while I'm there - unless Brycie takes them on my behalf first!
    Wow, that IS a bizarre coincidence. Yeah, Gavin is a mate of mine, not seen him much since moving up North, but he is a sound guy & he really does know his stuff, been doing it years. I got the pics from the G7 facebook page. Your car is in safe hands with him though.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Meh, sorry i wasn't very clear there...what i meant is where are the standard subs plugged into? What i basically want to know is what do i need right now to install my Vibe powered sub with RCA input's? Sorry for being a bit thick on this, my only experience with ICE is stuff with RCA line level connections, i have no idea with all this MOST stuff.

Here is what i have in the boot Randoms Photo Album - Pinkbike

Quote Originally Posted by mjerome View Post
    My system does not currently have a converter. What I was saying was that without one, you have to use the speaker outs of the original amp. The MOST bus system in the car is similar to the older CAN-BUS system.

The MOST pre-amp that will be fitted is

MOST Digital Pre-Amp | mObridge

As mentioned, the sub is connected to the 1ch RF amp. All the cars speakers, including sub, are powered by the RF amps. The Audi amp is only used to connect the Audi speaker outs to the LINE IN on the RF amps. Does that make sense? In effect, you are just inserting the RF amps into the speaker output of the Audi amp:

Stock install: Audi Amp > Speakers
    Custom install: Audi Amp > RF Amp (via speaker out) > Speakers

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow but its tightly packed and you can't really see much of the connections. It is very simple really, just difficult to explain. A picture would paint etc.......

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Andy.

If your Vibe amp can do speaker line in aswell then it would work. If your Vibe amp only has RCA inputs then I don't think you're going to be able to do what you want to do. The CAN-BUS and MOST bus systems all use optical connections but aftermarket amps (afaik) don't.

Your problem is the same problem I had in so much I couldn't use RCA either but the amp I bought could take speaker line in (and not RCA).

Fitting that MOST Digital pre-amp from my previous post would fix this so you could plug the optical cable that currently goes to the Audi amp directly into the MOST pre-amp. The MOST pre-amp then has RCA connections that you can plug into your Vibe amp. Simply put the MOST pre-amp acts as converter from optical to RCA and importantly doesn't interrupt the MOST (or CAN-BUS) signal that may be passing through onto some other box of tricks in your car.

The MOST digital pre-amps aren't cheap though, nearly £600 , so depending on where your want to go with your install it might make more sense to buy a different amp.

I've added some piccies below of my current amps in situ. The top amp is for the front / rears. The bottom is for the subwoofer.

photo2.jpgphoto1.jpg

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brycie View Post
    ... he is a sound guy...
    Was the pun intended?

I definately agree you - very nice chap and certainly knows his stuff.

0 1 0

9. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    it actually wasn't intended. Well spotted.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 1 0

10. Re: Audi A6 (C6) Avant power amp and speaker upgrade 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Ugh, why is nothing ever easy with me, looks like this isn't going to happen any time soon then really frustrating as i have two other amps sitting around as well as the sub which are currently useless. Do you have a link for any speaker level amps that will work? The sub can only take line in via the RCA's.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast