Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Having driven home from Shrewsbury to north wales yesterday I was more than impressed with my lovely allroads ability of eating up the miles with relative ease and was complimenting the allroads fantastic suspension set up.

So I was very alarmed when this morning I went out to her and the front end had completely dropped! (I had left her in position 1) the back end was fine. The suspension light was illuminated (the yellow one with the up/down arrows) level 1 led was flashing and after a few moments it went out and the car was again level. I pressed level 2 and it has now gone into position 2 (recently I have been driving round in position 1 for economy), this was half an hour ago and so far it seems ok (touch wood).

I don't know if this bears any relevance but I did not lock her up last night as usual and remember hearing the suspension releasing some air as I was unloading the car 10 minutes later but didnt notice anything amiss.

I was just wondering what the possible causes could be (im hoping something minor like a fixable air leak)

Its probably wishful thinking but could this just be a one off?

Thought it was worth mentioning that in my service records dated 27/08/09 there is a mention of the self levelling light coming up on the dash, 1 fault code stored in ride control system 01769 right front level control sensor G289, description: electrical malfunction in circuit new sensor required part number 4z7941286c (£94.88 + VAT) the part was replaced.

On my service records dated 01/12/09 it is noted that 1 fault was stored in the suspension memory 01769 right front level control sensor G289 and advised that a new sensor would be required, it doesnt say if it was done. There is no mention on my next service record dated 25/10/10 of any suspension fault stored, however the 2 intermittent engine management faults were thrown up again so I know they put it on the diagnostics.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    2002(52) AUDI ALLROAD QUATTRO 2.5 V6 TDI AUTO TIPTRONIC

1996(N) 300 series Discovery XS 3.9 V8 efi, manual, single point LPG converted

0 0 0

2. Re: Ive got that sinking feeling! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to let you know it stayed inflated in position 2 over night and the mrs has been driving it around all day fine, Ive just put her back into position 1 and will wait and see how things go.

0 0 0

3. Re: Ive got that sinking feeling! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok Ive just been out and the front end was going down, I noticed the NSF was slightly lower and under further investigation it appears that the airbag is leaking, I can hear a hiss coming from it and when I put my hand around the bottom of it where it joins the shock the sound is muffled.

One interesting thing is that I had almost dismissed any type of leak as it had stayed up fine all day, it was only when I changed position that the leak was exposed.

TBH Im really chuffed right now if it does turn out to be that (I need to look properly tomorrow Im in the middle of having a few beers with some friends right now) as Ive been reading horror stories about rogue suspension problems that have driven some owners mad having spent lots of time and money replacing parts, plus I live very rurally and the closest Audi dealer is 60 miles away and so would cost a fortune.

So the next question I suppose is where online is the best place to get a replacement? is it worth trying to repair? I see Arnotts do replacements with lifetime warranty, are they worth getting? Anyone any experience in this department?

Just an afterthought but do I need any diagnostic software to reset the car after installing the new airbag? does anyone have the fitting guide they could email to me please?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mrnice.; 28-08-2012 at 10:28 PM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Ive got that sinking feeling! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Yep sounds typical of an airbag leak, it leaks at level 1 as the bag folds over where it is perrished and hence air escapes through the perrished part, when you lift it to level 2 the bag fold physically moves up and straightens and the perrished part closes and stops leaking, keep it at level 2 or higher to save the compressor working too hard to compensate for the leak.

dont leav it long, spray soapy water on it and park it at level 1 to confirm it is the bag leaking before buying any parts.

if it is the bag, go for the Arnott ones they are very good quality, there is loads of info on this very forum use the search function to find what you need, no diagnostic needed, similar to changng a spring, The Arnott ones come with a manual of some sort, the top pinch bolt tends to be the hardest part as they are rusted in.

regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

5. Re: Ive got that sinking feeling! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy, you have confirmed exactly what I had thought, My slightly enthusiastic driving probably helped the problem to present itself (the mrs pootles along). It permenantly leaks at level 1 so Ive not been using that setting to save on the compressor (I do wonder on what part of my journey home it occurred and how hard the compressor worked just to keep everything shipshape)

I had friends round last night so didnt look properly so the 1st thing after work today will be to confirm the leak.

Ive done lots of springs and shocks etc so hopefully this shouldnt be a problem, I was just worried that after installing I would have to let the car set up its suspension again via some diagnostics software (which I dont own yet) but if its simply mechanics I should be fine.

Looks like arnotts will be the ones I go for as I noticed they have a lifetime warranty (2 years outside of US if I remember correctly?) But I will wait for a reply from my VAG main dealer friend to price one up for me "mates rates" to see how it compares, although he has warned me already I may have to sell one of my kids to Maddonna to pay for it lol.

0 0 0

6. Re: Ive got that sinking feeling! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just avoid the pinch bolt problem and swap air springs, without removing the pinch bolt. You can get the bottom of the shock off the lower control arm, and unbolt the top bracket. It will hang down far enough for you to get to the triple square bolts that hold the cap on. Then just leave the cap attached to the car, and take the spring out.
    To tap the bolt through which holds the bottom of the strut to the lower control arm, turn the steering to full lock and partially raise the suspension using a jack. Somehow this results in a clear path for the bolt to exit the mounting, otherwise it will foul on the lower control arm.

0 0 0