1. Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just replaced pads all round and new discs on the front, rears work ok. I got EBC greenstuff pads and discs, allbeit the standard vented disc. I also bled each wheel caliper using a Gunson eezibleed kit, with which I was very impressed.

Now, all seems to have been fine, more bite immediately. Having been on a longer run tonight I checked the temps of all the discs (just to make sure all was ok). The wheel and disc is hotter on the offside front and near side rear wheel. To prove this there is more brake dust on the front wheel that was hotter than the other. I jacked the car up and tested all wheels for free movement, that's fine!

What's bothered me is that the discs are opposite sides front and rear, and I know they work like this, duel brake system I think? I can't see how what I've done could cause this... is this common on braking in new pads and discs? Some time ago I had a servo that had seized and was causing a similar problem (opposite front and rears sticking) only it was the nears side front and offside rear. The servo is fine and as I said the calipers are free.

I bled the brakes as I did each wheel, both fronts, near side first, then the rears. Surely bleed sequence can't cause issues?

Any thought on this are most appreciated.

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    how many miles have you done since changing the pads and how are you checking the temp?

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

3. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The bleed sequence is very important with a car with ABS. Did you follow the sequence? If not I would recomend doing it again.

0 0 0

4. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for replies guys.

Firstly onzarob, checking temps is just hand near disc and wheel and for sure, it's not accurate but I can tell the caliper is hotter on one side. Also the greater brake dust too.

chrisvrscrx, I'm not sure I did bleed in correct sequence... please can you confirm the sequence. I started with replacing front discs and pads so did the fronts first. Should I be doing the rears, starting with near side? How does this affect the brake balance? Surely if no air is an there system it should work as normal? I must be missing something?

Many Thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have now re-bled the system starting with passenger rear, driver rear, then front passenger and finally driver front. I used eezibleed kit plus a few pedal pumps whilst bleeding. The brakes seemed even sharper end quite a solid brake pedal when pressing hard. They felt great. But still more temps in driver front and passenger rear.

I've only done 70 miles since fitting the pads and discs. Today was the first time I gave them some pressure to bed them in. When I returned, the driver front was smoking slightly, as they can do when bedding in, the passenger front was not.

I'm happy all air is out of system (if thre ever was) and bleeding has been done and no calipers are sticking on! I'm concerned that the un-equal pressure may cause premature failure of the pads and discs.

Cheers

0 0 0

6. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I looked in my haynes and it just says to follow the sequence however I can not find the sequence. oh just found it

RIGHT HAND REAR

LEFT HAND REAR

RIGHT HAND FRONT

LEFT HAND FRONT

0 0 0

7. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just had an MOT and it turns out the brake disc is buckled. I have only done 150 miles. I can only think of two things, either the disc was not mated correctly, ie the surface was not as immaculate as it should have been or the disc came warped. EBC claim all discs shipped are no more than 0.01 of mm out. I've written to them to see if they will replace the disc. Turning out to be a pain!

0 0 0

8. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    EBC are good when they work, but I have found the quality inconsistent.

I think the std brakes are pretty good!!
    A4 Avant 1.9 TDi160 for when the weather is on the damp side - Sold after 9yrs. Now A5 3.0TDI Q Sport Coupe (310bhp/480ft/lbs - Yamaha R6 for when its dry and want some 'High octane Petrol' fun.

0 0 0

9. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it buckeled or warped? If the brake was sticking on this would cause massive heat built up causing it to warp.

0 0 0

10. Re: Odd brake happenings! ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the chap at the MOT station said it was buckled. When I tested the brake it was not sticking and not causing massive heat build. It was only hotter than the other front brake.

EBC have said send the disc and pads back! Oh great idea, I've whizzed the old pads, so what so they suggest I do in the mean time. I've tried to get a simple answer out of them, which is, if the disc was fitted with runout by myself, would I be ok in trying to fix this having only done 150 miles since fittment. In the end they said try checking runout and trying the disc in different slots. Surely once the wheel is on and the bolts are tight the runout could be altered not sure how to check this accurately!

I'm starting to wonder if the disc was delivered with a defect. I'll try to rectify the runout by polishing the stub axle to the enth degree! I thought I wire brushed it enough when I fitted. Fed up with this now...

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast