Hello,

My daughter has a 1996 2.6 cab, and has had an intermittent brake fault in that the brake servo sometimes does not work, especially just after starting the engine but sometimes when she is driving, which I find very worrying, so I took it to a local dealer who says that the hydraulic pressure is too low on the system. I have no dealings with hydraulic servos before only vacuum servos. I understand that the pressure is generated by the power steering pump and stored in an accumulator. The garage I took it to is in France where I live, my daughter is here on holiday, and the mechanic says it needs a new 'boitier hydraulic' which translated I think means hydraulic gearbox and although I have not got a quote yet, he says would be as much or more than the car is worth.

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions as to how I may be able to solve the problem, are second hand parts likely to be available. The power steering seems to be fine so I cannot understand why the pressure in the brakes is low, does this mean that it needs a new hydraulic accumulator, and if so how difficult would it be to change?

I hope to hear from someone soon,

Regards to all,

Michael