Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster

1. Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Today I had a bulb fail warning on the car. Closer inspection shows that over half the orange LED's in the indicator cluster are failing. I go on holiday to south of france (driving) on Tuesday......

Can I replace the LED panel ?

Can I reverse swap it for conventional bulb set up ?

Is it a full unit ?

I fear the latter ????

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's a full unit. There are four units in total - ie two outer ones and the two on the boot lid itself.

There is a description somewhere on here of how you can solder new LEDs into the circuit board but given your time constraints that might not be viable by the time you have found the right LEDs and got handy with a soldering iron. I dread to think what they are new from Audi, but assuming you have a D3, you could try A8 Parts (vehicle breakers that do A8s as the name implies!) which might be more reasonable. I have previously seen them stocked there.

Google 'A8 Parts' - they trade under 'prestige motor services'. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but have bought from them before and had positive experience.

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We just got back from S of France a couple of weeks ago. The A8 is a fabulous car for the journey. Luckily it has space for all the crap you have to carry in France, warning triangle, fluorescent jackets, breathaliser, spare bulbs. Its getting crazy ...

Given your time constraints, I'd have a go at fixing some of the LEDs. Make a note of the ones that are out, or take a photo before you dismantle it, then only try to resolder the broken ones, that way you don't have anything to lose. If some of them work OK you'll probably be fine, just ignore the warning on the dash. If it was sidelights, then it would be more of a concern, but we didn't see any police from Calais to Frejus, so you'd be very, very unlucky if you were stopped. And in the UK of course, half the people don't seem to know how to operate their indicators, so if nothing lit up, it would just look normal

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: Stripped the light cluster, added some tin foil to check and I can get all the LED's to light up, obviously not ideal so looks like they can be salvaged with solder and time.

Already been on to the chaps at Prestige (A8Parts)...has quite a few bits off them so they were first port of call. Currently they have no 2nd hand stock but can source an upgrade to D4 style lighting, not an option at £800 as car will be sold in next 3-4 months.

On France, the main travelling is less of a concern as my rear lights not as important due to tin tent in tow !!

I am not patient enough for soldering BUT there is a local CB and radio shop who build circuit boards so I may strip the circuit boards out and have them solder new LED's on all panels.

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n1cka8 View Post
    Update: Stripped the light cluster, added some tin foil to check and I can get all the LED's to light up, obviously not ideal so looks like they can be salvaged with solder and time.
    If you've managed to get the LEDs to light up, then they are OK and the problem is the soldering. LEDs are normally rated at 100,000 hours use, which is the equivalent of having your indicators running 24/7 for 22 years. If water gets into the lights then it seems to corrode the solder somehow

It sounds as if you're in a pretty good position to get it fixed, I'd take the complete light to the CB radio shop and ask them to resolder the LEDs, they can test them with a 12v DC supply so they will know when they are working.

If you're not experienced at soldering, like I'm not, then you can leave the soldering iron on the connection for too long, heat runs up the wire and wrecks the LED. At least, I think that's what I did so I wouldn't recommend having a go yourself if you have easy access to people that could do it properly. It will probably take them minutes to resolder them all, so even as a rush job it will cost much less than the price of a new unit.

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After doing more harm than good I now place myself in your elite club of poor soldering skills !

However, I have sourced a full fitting for £170 delivered and so have ordered that one and it's on it's way to me. I am going to get the other repaired anyway, dropping it off in CB shop when I am back off holiday and see if I can salvage some costs via ebay or selling on here ! If I had more time I would do this anyway however I am fairly sure french plod won't be keen on that !!

Thanks for your help here chaps

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hope it arrives in time - and enjoy your holiday

0 0 0

8. Re: Rear LED failure on outer rear indicators, part of main tail light cluster 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's on a guaranteed monday delivery....or I am in the smelly stuff !!!
    Thanks

0 0 0