Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all.

Just booked the CC 2.0 manual 140 diesel in for it's 54k service after nearly 4 years. Cost is £169 which I guess is ok, but still just a glorified oil change I suppose.

Anyway chap mentioned it's due a cambelt change at 4 years or 120k miles at a cost of £419. Seems a tad too precautionary to be replacing cambelts after 54k so has anyone got any views or experience on such things. I know life is a risk and the thing could snap tomorrow but I'm inclined to leave it until at least 80k. Or am I bing a div?

Thoughts welcome from the colelctive experience of VW diesel ownership

Yours humbly

Shadow CC

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Personally any car that I have owned has got its belts done at 4 years or 60k religiously.

Remember the belt is rubber so it perishes and becomes weaker over time.

It's cheaper doing it now than forking out for a new engine if the worst happens and it snaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I'd be very nervous if it got to 80k without a cambelt change. Some cars need changing after 40k so your case isn't that bad. I'd get it done for peace of mind & like Chris said, so I knew I had another guaranteed 60k miles without the belt going.
    The Only Way Is A6!
    A6 C7 Facelift Avant | Daytona Grey | S-Line Black Edition | 2016 | 3.0BiTDI 320ps | Tech Pack | Lighting Pack | Parking Pack | All LED Headlights | Sports suspension Heated Steering Wheel | Kessel a Run in under 10 parsecs

0 0 0

4. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    What you do is up to you but the belt doesn't have an age/time limit according to VW Germany. They say distance only and 80k miles is fine. I never change mine by time, just miles but that's me.
    BKC, BKP ,BMA, BMP, BLS, BVE
    BMR, BUZ, BWV, BXE
    Up to 2006 - Every 120,000 km /75,000 miles
    BKC, BKP ,BMA,BMP, BLS, BVE
    BMR, BUZ, BWV, BXE
    After 2007 - Every 150,000 km/ 94,000 miles
    Last edited by martin1810; 03-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.

1 0 0

5. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    yes, you are being a div not getting it done, or you could be the vwaf guinea pig to see how long they will last before snapping.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 3 0

6. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think it's worth running the risk... at the end of the day, should something go wrong, VW would just turn around and say that you should have serviced it as per their schedule.. mine is coming up to 4 years in october and I have 69k on the clock so far - my belt, water pump, etc will be getting changed!

0 1 0

7. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you have the older PD engine in yours? Mine has no cam belt, it's a chain.... (11 plate CR TDi 170)

0 0 0

8. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddieVW View Post
    Do you have the older PD engine in yours? Mine has no cam belt, it's a chain.... (11 plate CR TDi 170)
    Engine code CBAB 140bhp has common rail injection and is driven by a belt. Perhaps they changed this in the later models? Mine is an 08 reg. A chain would be nice!

0 0 0

9. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddieVW View Post
    What tdi engine has a chain? CBAA, CBAB, CBBB AND CBDC all use belts.

0 0 0

10. Re: Cam belt wisdom sought ??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    What you do is up to you but the belt doesn't have an age/time limit according to VW Germany. They say distance only and 80k miles is fine. I never change mine by time, just miles but that's me.
    BKC, BKP ,BMA, BMP, BLS, BVE
    BMR, BUZ, BWV, BXE
    Up to 2006 - Every 120,000 km /75,000 miles
    BKC, BKP ,BMA,BMP, BLS, BVE
    BMR, BUZ, BWV, BXE
    After 2007 - Every 150,000 km/ 94,000 miles
    Thanks for pointing out what (I humbly believe) is the motor industry's biggest con. Humble apologies to anyone who makes a living in that sphere.

My Passat has just hit 23k and 4 years old, but I've had the flyer from the dealer telling me I need the cam belt done and they will happily relieve me of £419 for the job. That, by the way is a big jump up on the price quoted for my Golf last year (at 12k) or the wife's car (at a mere 9.8k).

In Germany and the USA there is no time limit, just mileage. Maybe they fit UK cars with inferior belts.

I'm no motor professional, but I have experienced the dreaded snapped belt and a wrecked engine on my MG Montego, so I'm not unaware of the implications. But I'm happy to take the risk, if there really is one, for a few more miles before I chuck money at all three of them.

If I was up at 54k I might be thinking a bit more seriously ...................
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast