Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I have the following fault that i am looking to get fixed ASAP.

I was wondering if anyone knew where the 'Intake Manifold Flap' is located. I have managed to narrow it down to either the EGR or the throttle body.

They both have moveable valves and don't want to replace the wrong bit!

Fault readout is;

012547 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction
    P3103 - 000 - -
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100000
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 2
    Mileage: 200166 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2012.07.25
    Time: 16:31:54

Its an Audi A6 2.0TDI BRE by the way.

Your help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    it's the flap valve at the entrance to the egr valve.... it can be seen if you remove the intake hose.

0 0 0

3. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c4a5er View Post
    it's the flap valve at the entrance to the egr valve.... it can be seen if you remove the intake hose.
    Thanks.
    Am i correct in thinking that the Anti Stutter Valve is in between the intake hose and the EGR? Or is that one and the same thing?
    Assuming it is a new EGR i need, is EuroCarParts the best place to go?

Can anyone confirm it is a new EGR that i need based on the above fault?

Thanks

Ben

0 0 0

4. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Yes between intake hose and egr valve, it is an anti shudder valve but also has a function in assisting egr. You could strip and inspect it, the drive gear teeth usually fail.

It's a separate part from the egr valve itself and available separately, pricey though so shop around.

all covered here......

Help - P3103 V157 - Motor Intake Manifold Flap - EGR Valve...How do i solve? - Page 2

0 1 0

5. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Based on the above then Ben and going back to my post ( link below )
    you should be able to see the part between the EGR and the hose...........I had this part off today whilst cleaning my EGR

A6 EGR location & removal "how to?"

If that has to be replaced, check out what the install price will be.........Its a fairly easy DIY job and probably takes around 20 mins I'd say

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

1 0 0

6. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes between intake hose and egr valve, it is an anti shudder valve but also has a function in assisting egr. You could strip and inspect it, the drive gear teeth usually fail.

It's a separate part from the egr valve itself and available separately, pricey though so shop around.

all covered here......

Help - P3103 V157 - Motor Intake Manifold Flap - EGR Valve...How do i solve? - Page 2
    Thanks for this.
    I have been looking on eurocarparts but cannot find a part related to anti shudder.

Rather than talking about it i decided to strip the part. The part between the intake hose and the EGR I believe is the throttle body. Can someone confirm that?

I removed it and as the pictures below show, the valve is open. The valve is spring loaded so a motor closes it and then it springs open again. Its sitting position is open.
    Is this correct operation?
    The part looks OK, it has all the teeth etc in the mechanism. Is there a way to test the part once its out the car?

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Or am i intact looking at the wrong part and should be inspecting the EGR which sits after the above valve?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by b1nuzz; 28-07-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Got my hands dirty...

0 0 0

7. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Confusing terminology, it's not really a 'throttle body' on a diesel engine. The thing that looks like a throttle is the 'intake manifold flap' AKA 'anti shudder valve'. You don't need the EGR valve.

Here's a pic....

Attachment 17469

1 0 0

8. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Confusing terminology, it's not really a 'throttle body' on a diesel engine. The thing that looks like a throttle is the 'intake manifold flap' AKA 'anti shudder valve'. You don't need the EGR valve.

Here's a pic....

Attachment 17469
    Perefect. Thanks

So i am happy i have identified the right part now, based on the error code and all the help on here.
    Does the way its operating out of the car sound right? Has anyone got any experience of playing around with one?

The new part on eurocarparts seems to be this?
    http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Au...8078295&000329
    Last edited by b1nuzz; 28-07-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Can't spell!

0 0 0

9. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    only just saw your previous edit...

You sure there are no broken teeth hidden by the larger gear on top? either way that's what the code points too as the fault, the flap itself can stick if it was dirty enough.
    operation wise...... the valve closes at engine shut off to prevent air entering, this is to prevent shudder. When the engine has completely stopped it opens again ready for the next start. It also partially closes during certain driving conditions to assist in regulation of egr.

the part on eurocarparts looks right but with the wrong description!

0 0 0

10. Re: Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All the teeth seems to be intact. If I rotate the motor with my finger, all the cogs move all the way through and the valve closes. So it appears to work. I can only assume that the motor has burnt out and isn't operating.

To be fair, the car shudders really badly when it turns off at the moment, so that would suggest that it isn't closing correctly. Other than that there appears to be no side effects at all. Other than the air con doesn't seem to be blowing as hard anymore. I have seen that this error can blow a fuse that runs the fans too, but firstly i cannot work out what fuse it would be to be able to check, plus the air con is still cold and blowy, but just not very well. Odd.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast