Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey - i haven't de-tarred a car in a good few years and certainly haven't done my fairly new Audi but the bodywork is starting to get a little rough and covered in little specks of tar so I thought it will need some tar remover and then a clay bar set about it.

I'm wondering if Tardis is safe enough for the bodywork if I use with caution or am I better off sticking with the Autoglym product? The last thing I want is for it to eat through the paintwork!
    Audi A4 S Line Special Edition 170bhp

0 0 0

2. Re: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi.
    I would use the Autoglym tar remover.
    Put it into a spray bottle and apply to the area and let it work for a minute or two.
    The apply a small amount to a microfibre and rub it off.
    For heavily tarred areas spray a bit more onto the area and let it sit for a bit longer.
    Hope this helps

1 1 0

3. Re: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by belfastmark View Post
    Hi.
    I would use the Autoglym tar remover.
    Put it into a spray bottle and apply to the area and let it work for a minute or two.
    The apply a small amount to a microfibre and rub it off.
    For heavily tarred areas spray a bit more onto the area and let it sit for a bit longer.
    Hope this helps
    +1 on the above.................the tar will just fall away.
    A good wash with warm soapy water, claybar then polish / protection etc as your choice

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

1 1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does the AG Tar remover also remove polish etc, would a polish be a mandatory step?

At the moment i have a couple spots on the alloys, bodywork is ok but i was just thinking in the event of use on bodywork a few hours of wash and polish probably ahead

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk Android
    Furion
    Gone: Audi A6 Avant Le Mans 3.0 TDI 6 Speed Tiptronic
    Gone: VW Touareg Se Sport 3.2 V6
    Gone: BMW 325i M Sport
    Gone: Merc E240

0 0 0

5. Re: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Tbh, I'm not 100% sure.

I guess to a degree it all depends on how serious you are about your car and its finish?
    What I mean by that, is I'm all up for keeping my car in great shape, personally, I wouldn't necessirily polish after and haven't in the past, but some would.

I'd put my car up there with most cars for cleanliness and the paint in good shape for age / mileage.
    Last edited by JimC64; 26-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.

LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Before polishing you really need to take paint depth readings. You're cutting clear coat and that's not something you want to do to excess.

1 1 0

7. Re: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    You're right Esh, good call.

I get the feeling that the OP isn't that far advanced as far as detailing goes ( no offence Furion ) so paint depth gauges
    for readings may be a little too far.

0 0 0

8. Re: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Whenever I see polish mentioned, I feel the need to warn regards paint (or more accurately clearcoat) depth and taking accurate readings before cutting into it.

Bit like timing belts & water pumps - forewarned is forearmed and all that.

The quickest (and cheapest) method to an ok finish is to degrease (foam/degreaser/clay etc), wash (good quality shampoo and a mitt), seal (my current fave is carlack longlife) and wax (mine's currently wearing CG's XXX - a wax I've found difficult to better)

If you find the finish isn't up to the standard you want, that's when you look at more aggressive treatment of your paint.

1 3 0

9. Re: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Eshrules, I understand your concern about polishing possibly doing some damage, though I personally wouldn't be worried about the odd coat of polish to correct any possible hologramming that would be left after the use of tar remover. I would definatly be a fan of a paint gauge being used before paint correction or buffing as there is more of a likelyhood of possible damage. Spot cleaning with tar remover doesn't normally cause any problems though on the other hand spot cleaning with polish can damage the paint.
    I would use a polish with minimum cut and do below the coachline, though I would only use this if after a good wash and dry doesn't do the job.
    Hope this helps.
    I can't understand people who use polish evertime they clean the car, if the paint doesn't look like it needs polished, don't polish it !!!

0 0 0

10. Re: Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I decided to go for the Tardis and to be honest it's worked a treat. The tar literally just starts dissolving after a few seconds and with a light wipe of a microfiber cloth it's gone. Finish the job with some water from an open ended hose

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Audi A4 S Line Special Edition 170bhp

1 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast