Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I'm sure this must have been asked previously but couldn't find the relevant info despite searching the forums.

I change the oil & filter on my 1.2 2002 polo 9n (AWY) every year and usually use Castrol Magnatec 5w30. Coming to buy oil this time round it doesn't appear on the recommended list on halfords/ECP. They recommend Castrol Edge. Also want to make sure I get it right because of the known cam chain + tensioner issues!

1. Is there really a difference between the Magnatec/EDGE oil of the same rating? I want to use the best possible oil and certainly don't want to damage the engine.

2. And is there much variation between oil filters, or is a filter a filter? I have previously used Bosch.

3. Lastly, is it overkill to change the air filter every year despite relatively low mileage (5000 ish), motorway & rural driving?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil advice for 1.2 2002 polo 9n AWY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As long as it meets the VW spec, it should be fine and not damage anything. I think it's VW 505 00, or 507 00.
    2002 Polo 9n 1.2 65PS. Basic but it's better than the train!

1 0 0

3. Re: Oil advice for 1.2 2002 polo 9n AWY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your advice.

Went for the Castrol Edge as it was on offer. Seems Edge is for longlife service and magnatec is just standard.

Quick question on coolant: there's red/pink stuff in there at the mo. Want to drain and refill. Should I be using G12++ ? Can I only get that from VW or is this stuff ok?

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil advice for 1.2 2002 polo 9n AWY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have queried this in the past - I did not wanted to compromise on quality but avoid the expensive VW service costs. I had bought a relatively new polo and wanted to maintain it as best as I could, for this reason I use Quantumn Platinum Oil (genuine VW) and VW Oil / Air Filters.

Answers to your questions:

1. Find out the product code from VW by phoning for a quote then go to SEAT / SKODA and purchase your items for less. I go to a local SEAT garage and the guys give me 10% off aswell.

2. I always buy good quality filters (genuine from SEAT) as the cost will be similar to a Bosch (which is also good quality but go for the dealer ones if cost is similar)

3. Always change your filter yearly (motorway & rural means it has been subjected to dust / pollen / small particles in the air) all slowly blocking the flow to your engine.

This is ofcourse based on personnel preference - I want to keep my car for a long time so I will invest to maintain its performance. If I was going to sell a car after a couple of years ownership I would probably avoid expensive service parts.

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil advice for 1.2 2002 polo 9n AWY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freakyshadows View Post
    Thanks for your advice.

Went for the Castrol Edge as it was on offer. Seems Edge is for longlife service and magnatec is just standard.

Quick question on coolant: there's red/pink stuff in there at the mo. Want to drain and refill. Should I be using G12++ ? Can I only get that from VW or is this stuff ok?
    That coolant may be okay, or maybe not (can't find any specs on the web for it so I'd say probably not). It's nearly more expensive than the genuine VW G12 Plus Plus coolant from the dealers though.

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil advice for 1.2 2002 polo 9n AWY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingraider View Post
    That coolant may be okay, or maybe not (can't find any specs on the web for it so I'd say probably not). It's nearly more expensive than the genuine VW G12 Plus Plus coolant from the dealers though.
    If that's the case I would opt for genuine - you don't change your coolant often and it plays an important role so the investment is well worth it!

0 0 0