1. High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As most of you will know I have just upgraded the turbo on my 1.9tdi. All is well and just doing a few MOT repairs. But I am not happy about the coolant. The main pipe that goes from the head to the radiator is really hot and hard after a run. And when I undo the tank cap it releases a hiss of pressure and the little pipe that goes into the tank shoots water through it into the tank. Just a bit confused as to why and i am not happy with it.

The only things i can think of are; the tank cap is blocked (already cleaned and blasted with an air gun), a blockage elsewhere in the system (going to drain and flush out thoroughly), the turbo is creating a high pressure inside the head....? (actuator not set up properly yet and running a massive boost!)

Any other thoughts?

Rich
    Headlight Conversion, 2x8000k HID kits, De-cat downpipe, .216 Nozzles Boost Gauge, Colour changed on climate control and all buttons, LED instrument cluster, LED number plate lights, LED rear/brake lights, Lowered 40mm on SPAX springs. Soon to have GT1749VA

0 0 0

2. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    What temp is being displayed?

0 0 0

3. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The temp is normal, 90C, but does take ages to get there. Left it running on idle today and the pressure still builds up. It's rather concerning.

Rich
    Headlight Conversion, 2x8000k HID kits, De-cat downpipe, .216 Nozzles Boost Gauge, Colour changed on climate control and all buttons, LED instrument cluster, LED number plate lights, LED rear/brake lights, Lowered 40mm on SPAX springs. Soon to have GT1749VA

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well this hasn't become a problem, no hoses have burst so I guess its just a slight pressure block somewhere in the system. As soon as I get a few days free I will be doing a major flush out and the tank is going in the dish washer a few times.

Rich

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Any joy?

Have you replaced the thermostat?

0 0 0

6. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    my 80 did this, but the gauge was going a bit high, just above 90. loads of pressure. turns out the rad was blocked with sludge. i cut it open and could see through like 4 of the tubes, the other million were blocked.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

7. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Meh, its fine tbh. The pipes are still quite firm after driving so I need to flush it all out soon. Oil needs changing next week. So I will do new coolant at the same time.

Rich

0 0 0

8. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Right then. This is still a problem and becoming quite annoying. It started out with a leak, turns out the plastic flange that goes into the side of the head had a huge crack in it. Changed that, no more leaks.

Changed thermostat and water pump.

Used a 2 part coolant system flush.

So, you'd expect it to be fine and sorted. But its not. The hose that goes into the head is like a rock after driving and the coolant tank cap releases massive pressure when removed. I have blown into the pipe that goes into the head and it doesn't seem to move the water anywhere, is it possible that the channels in the head are blocked?

The issue is when I go over 60mph for more than 5mins the water starts to go up to 100-110C and boils over. So you can see I am running out of ideas. I might just get a new radiator just to make 100% certain that it isn't blocked, before I rip the head off.

Rich

0 0 0

9. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It could be the Rad.Can you feel over the bottom area ?if so and its cold or cooler than the rest thats a sign of sludge build up and its very hard to shift

1 0 0

10. Re: High Pressure in Coolant Tank 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, only a small amount of the rad ever gets hot on idle. Then its only warm on the far side. The water that comes out of the bottom pipe is really cold.

Thanks for that, needed a second opinion before I got a new rad. Will get that sorted this Sunday/Monday and report back.

Rich

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast