1. Audi A6 3.0 Tdi quattro s-line planned purchase, HELP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, I am in the process of purchasing on 05 plate Audi A6 3.0 tdi s line 127,000 miles. I have done extensive research on the manifold runner problems, injectors issues and chain rattle.

I test drove the car everything seemed fine gearbox operated smoothly, however i was a bit disappointed in the kick-down, didn't really give me the thrill factor associated with a car that produces over 300 lbs/ft torque. Looking back i should of tried the car in sport mode to see if it made a difference. I don't know maybe its me expecting too much after having just got rid of my BMW 550i M-Sport. I must admit the Audi cabin feels far superior to the BMW's.

Just a few questions really
    1. Is there a big noticeable performance difference driving in sports mode?

2. The car had no white smoke issues when left idling, but when i gave the accelerator a bit of pressure there was a bit of black smoke coming out, not clouds of smoke just a spurt and then nothing. Would this be cause for concern?

3. Do these vehicles have some kind of power hesitation/cut off until the vehicle has reached an optimum temperature?

4. Would the MMI screen show up any errors for injector issues or anything else that might hinder vehicle performance or is it a case of plug in and see whats going with the vehicle?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by blitzed500; 15-07-2012 at 10:32 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A6 3.0 Tdi quattro s-line planned purchase, HELP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    1. Yes, IMO my car feels like it's on steroids when in "S" mode throttle response better, gears held longer depending on how heavy right foot

2. Mine does this, is normal AFAIK done lot's of test's on my injectors

3. Not as AFAIK

4. No MMI would not report about injectors, you need diagnostics gear eg VCDS/VAGCOM to read MVB's

3.0 TDi does not have the HP/PS/BHP that a 550i has

A '05 3.0 TDi is PS225 165KW engine, AFAIK 550i is PS360+ 260KW+ engine... you want a S6 or the daddy RS6

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A6 3.0 Tdi quattro s-line planned purchase, HELP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks gupsterg. I think a second test drive is in order then in sport mode this time. Have you had any issues with yours? what is the mileage and age of your vehicle

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A6 3.0 Tdi quattro s-line planned purchase, HELP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzed500 View Post
    Thanks gupsterg. I think a second test drive is in order then in sport mode this time.
    I would try "S" mode for A6 vs 550i you really want a S6/RS6

Have you had any issues with yours?
    My Chain Stuff pictures by gupsterg - Photobucket

Other than above most other bits servicing and minor IMO on a 7 year old car

what is the mileage and age of your vehicle
    Bought Aug 11@70K on clock paid £10k with FASH, no TAX, 6mths MOT, now 77.5K on clock Attachment 17365
    For photos of my Avant check my profile page
    Last edited by gupsterg; 15-07-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: grammer edit ;)

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A6 3.0 Tdi quattro s-line planned purchase, HELP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks gupsterg. I think a second test drive is in order then in sport mode this time. Have you had any issues with yours? what is the mileage and age of your vehicle
    Hi,

Just be aware that sometimes the whole injector issue doesn't just manifest itself through smoke on idle. If you have the opportunity to leave the car idling, do so for a while and then pull away hard. Sometimes if the injectors are failing you get a build up of excess diesel in the system whilst it is idling. If when you pull away there is a plume of blue/pale smoke then this has been attributed to slowly failing injectors. A black puff of smoke on hard acceleration is normal (I believe), but this will be an unmistakable smog you leave in your wake.

There is a post on here somewhere (which I believe we have Gupsterg to thank for) which lists all the superseded part numbers for the injectors that have been superseded through redesign. If you have a seller that doesn't mind you taking the engine cover off you can get at the injector part number and compare it to the list on here. Then you will know categorically what variant of injector you have and ultimately the likelyhood that you may need to shell out for 6 injectors.

Just my 2p...hope that helps.

1 0 0

6. Re: Audi A6 3.0 Tdi quattro s-line planned purchase, HELP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I test drove the car everything seemed fine gearbox operated smoothly, however i was a bit disappointed in the kick-down, didn't really give me the thrill factor associated with a car that produces over 300 lbs/ft torque. Looking back i should of tried the car in sport mode to see if it made a difference. I don't know maybe its me expecting too much after having just got rid of my BMW 550i M-Sport. I must admit the Audi cabin feels far superior to the BMW's.
    Just on this point, I am really only using the car the weekend currently. Jumped in today and had a 60 mile or so mixed roads trip. Got to say it was a real treat to get back in the old girl after a week, it put a smile on my face. They deliver the power quite subtly so have a really good 2nd test drive and see how you feel. S-mode does give it a real punch but it's a short bursts thing for me personally, if you drive in S for a while I find its constantly in a higher gear wanting to rip your head off (which I accept is the point if it). S afforded me a couple of safe but effective overtakes today and still always gives me a big grin

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A6 3.0 Tdi quattro s-line planned purchase, HELP 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice. An rs6 would be awesome but unfortunately i need to be a little bit sensible for the time being, maybe next year could be a possibility gupsterg.

Thanks fieldy, top advice there and things for me to check on my next test drive.

0 0 0